breakfast...the most unhealthiest meal of the day..

Options

Replies

• benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Ok folks here are the stats...

forty four percent of us eat breakfast, yet 2/3's of americans are obese. Hmmm yet we keep hearing that breakfast is the "most important meal of the day". I guess if you want to be obese then it is. Also, the whole "I need to eat breakfast to stoke the metabolic fire theory' has been totally debunked; as meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism. So I say eat when you are hungry and the let the chips fall as they may. I personally have been skipping breakfast for about five months now, and have lost three percent body fat. Oh, and you wont go into starvation mode if you don't eat breakfast so don't even come with that...cheers!

I think I'll stick to eating breakfast and health & fitness advice backed by solid science and evidence.
    But thank you for your point of view.
    kind regards,

Ben

what solid science would that be?

Bucket loads of it. But I am not the one making an unsubstantiated claim.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't see how these stats relate to each other at all. 2/3rds of Americans are obese because they eat like crap
    and stuff their faces with burgers and sweets and processed foods, not because they eat breakfast.

You can have a full and hearty breakfast for less than 200 calories. Have some oatmeal and some fruit,
    and you're good to go. It's all about making the right decisions, and not whether you have breakfast or not.

And by the way - breakfast and/or brunch are dearly loved by Europeans, and the obesity issue,
    I believe, is not as bad as it is in the States.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I'm hangry when I wake up. That's why eat breakfast. My body is telling me it wants food, so I oblige it. For the sake of humanity. You're all very welcome.

peealittle_zps0a318e9d.jpg
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Also...if 67% are obese, then 33% are NOT obese...so possibly, of the 44% who eat breakfast, all of those but 11% are NOT obese...that would leave 56% of the population NOT eating breakfast, and they are obese...so your figures support *eating* breakfast. Of course, I'm sure the numbers don't work out to be that absolute...but still...I think eating a healthy breakfast is a very good idea...the key words, of course, being "healthy breakfast"...not all you can eat at IHOP... ;)
  • amanda1005
    amanda1005 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Its things like this that cause people to be so confused when it comes to nutritional information. Yes, a marketing ploy is to say that breakfast is the healthiest meal of the day. Its meant to break your fast from sleeping... to provide your body with the nutrients it needs to start your day. It doesn't matter the time of the day.... it all depends on what you eat. You can have cheesecake pancakes from ihop for breakfast or you can have some fresh fruit, yogurt, eggs, or granola for breakfast. The statistics are basically proving, if anything, that people are not making wise decisions. That's it.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    A year ago you couldn't force me to eat breakfast. Now I eat it every single day, whether it's an apple or a bowl of oatmeal. It absolutely keeps me from being ravenous come lunch. I'm also diabetic, so if I don't eat it I reap the consequences.

I agree with the idea that one should eat when they're hungry, but to relate obesity with eating breakfast is silly. It depends on the person's lifestyle and what exactly they're eating.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    How does this make sense. Less than half the people in the US eat breakfast yet you are blaming breakfast for people being obese. So if 80% of people eat dinner then it must be dinners fault that people are obese. Lets cut dinner out then. Would go more towards your logic.

i am not blaming breakfast..I just quoted the stats...

Everyone says that breakfast is the most healthiest meal of the day. yet 2/3 of those eating breakfast are obese..I find this interesting...why is breakfast so "healthy" yet the people eating it are obese???
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I dont think obesity and eating breakfast are directly linked - as in stop eating breakfast and you wont be fat - obviously eating 5 burgers for breakfast is not a good idea - but something sensible like 2 pieces of wholemeal toast with low fat topping or fruit and yogurt or bowl of non sugared cereal is fine.

Not eating breakfast does lead to concentration lags during the morning and for some people mid morning binges.

People like diabetics on medication must eat breakfast to avoid hypos.

I dont think your theory is very sound.

why not? Everyone says that breakfast is the most "healthiest meal" of the day. But most of the people eating breakfast are obese. You know who is selling that breakfast is the healthiest meal line...the companies that are selling you breakfast - Kellogg's, quaker, etc etc...so OF COURSE they want you to think breakfast is healthy so you will keep buying their crap....
    I dont think 'breakfast is the healthiest meal of the day' message is a conspiracy - many nutiritionists and dieticains recomend this too and parents are certainly encouraged to give children breakfast, some schools even have breakfast programs for disadvantaged children

I dont think your theory is sound as there is no evidence linking your two facts - ie correlation does not equal causation.

I dont agree that most of the people eating breakfast are obese - many people, including most children, eat breakfast and most of them are not obese. I know some very slim people that eat breakfast every day.

You could just as easily say most obese people eat dinner - therefore eating dinner is bad.

Or another unlinked but true statement - more people worldwide who wear shoes are obese than those who dont wear shoes - therefore wearing shoes leads to obesity - or does it?? :tongue:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    A year ago you couldn't force me to eat breakfast. Now I eat it every single day, whether it's an apple or a bowl of oatmeal. It absolutely keeps me from being ravenous come lunch. I'm also diabetic, so if I don't eat it I reap the consequences.

I agree with the idea that one should eat when they're hungry, but to relate obesity with eating breakfast is silly. It depends on the person's lifestyle and what exactly they're eating.

interesting...

when I ate breakfast I was crushing about four eggs, four egg whites, two servings of oatmeal and was starting by 10:30...
  • lunnay
    lunnay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is steadily losing weight while skipping breakfast (he's never hungry when he wakes up, and if he eats he says it just makes him really hungry during the entire morning, so he just has coffee). When our diet consisted of mac&cheese, spaghetti carbonara, and other extremely fattening things, he was steadily gaining weight, while skipping breakfast.

It's calories in vs. calories out. It doesn't matter what time you eat, it matters that you eat and do not fast for long periods of time. If eating breakfast and many smaller meals means you control your intake better, eat breakfast. If eating breakfast just makes you hungry the entire day (which happens to be my case), skip breakfast.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    How does this make sense. Less than half the people in the US eat breakfast yet you are blaming breakfast for people being obese. So if 80% of people eat dinner then it must be dinners fault that people are obese. Lets cut dinner out then. Would go more towards your logic.

Everyone says that breakfast is the most healthiest meal of the day. yet 2/3 of those eating breakfast are obese..I find this interesting...why is breakfast so "healthy" yet the people eating it are obese???

...most healthiest, eh?
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options

Or another unlinked but true statement - more people worldwide who wear shoes are obese than those who dont wear shoes - therefore wearing shoes leads to obesity - or does it?? :tongue:

:laugh:

we should all stop wearing shoes.
  • MariaHammer750
    MariaHammer750 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it being called "the healthiest" meal of the day, but I have heard it said for years that it is the "most important meal" of the day. Did you maybe get this mixed up?
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Please, please stop saying "most healthiest." It is a redundant statement. The word healthiest already means "most healthy," so there is no need to add an extra most in there. It's like nails on a chalkboard. Please and thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I've never heard of it being called "the healthiest" meal of the day, but I have heard it said for years that it is the "most important meal" of the day. Did you maybe get this mixed up?

why is it the most important?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Please, please stop saying "most healthiest." It is a redundant statement. The word healthiest already means "most healthy," so there is no need to add an extra most in there. It's like nails on a chalkboard. Please and thank you. :flowerforyou:

really? This is grammar class now...my bad, I guess the two vodkas I had are impeding my typing...rolling eyes

stay on topic people..!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I dont think obesity and eating breakfast are directly linked - as in stop eating breakfast and you wont be fat - obviously eating 5 burgers for breakfast is not a good idea - but something sensible like 2 pieces of wholemeal toast with low fat topping or fruit and yogurt or bowl of non sugared cereal is fine.

Not eating breakfast does lead to concentration lags during the morning and for some people mid morning binges.

People like diabetics on medication must eat breakfast to avoid hypos.

I dont think your theory is very sound.

why not? Everyone says that breakfast is the most "healthiest meal" of the day. But most of the people eating breakfast are obese. You know who is selling that breakfast is the healthiest meal line...the companies that are selling you breakfast - Kellogg's, quaker, etc etc...so OF COURSE they want you to think breakfast is healthy so you will keep buying their crap....

Definitely agree with this as well. Lots of sugary cereals/quick breakfast options that come out of boxes or come frozen. Looking at the nutrition labels on those boxes, like 190 + cals sometimes for 3/4 c of cereal and measuring isn't always a standard, it's about filling up the bowl a lot of the time. Then depending on the kind of milk, calorie content in that. Before you know it, 400-500, breakfast cereal alone. When you go out, the caloric content on most breakfast combinations is pretty high with the exception of some things on the "lighter" side of the menu.

dont eat that crap then - eat a healthier breakfast like wholemeal toast, fresh fruit, non sugared cereal, boiled eggs etc

Its not breakfast per se thats the problem, its what choices you make with it - same with lunch, dinner, supper or any other meal
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options

why is it the most important?

Because you're breaking your fast. It doesn't necessarily matter if you eat at 6am or 11am or if you eat a breakfast type food, but it matters that you break the fast. It provides you with fuel for your day, kick starts your metabolism and body functions and keeps you from gnawing off your arm.

But yeah, breakfast has been deemed "most important" not "healthiest".
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    most breakfast foods are absolute garbage...along with the majority of most other american foods...
    i am a firm non beleiver in boxed cereal,and if you are not hungry, DONT EAT

on the other hand, some people are hungry in the morning, and there is nothing wrong with fresh fruit and eggs
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Did you know that logging into MFP every day keeps you from being eaten by rabid wombats?

Seriously. I've logged in every day for 51 days, and ain't a wombat to be seen in my general vicinity.

Correlation =/= causation.