What have you learned from your relationships?

Options

Replies

• fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    oh! you have to claim your side of the bed early on, or you'll be stuck with whichever side you ended up on the first time you spent the night together.
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    Options
    that patience is really a virtue if you dont have it your screwed
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    That I have TERRIBLE taste, and shouldn't be allowed to pick my own men! :laugh:
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    That I have TERRIBLE taste, and shouldn't be allowed to pick my own men! :laugh:

this. i shouldn't even be allowed to have internet access.
  • _EmmaStrong_
    _EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I have learned that no matter how much you LOVE the other person, you have to dissect everything about the relationship! If they have a personality flaw, that you know in your heart, you could never live with, DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT, go through with the relationship! The hurt is not worth it! SO NOT WORTH IT!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you're ever asking yourself (or someone else) "should I get married?" the answer is no. If you're doubting it, then you shouldn't do it.

Discuss things like an adult.

Once you've settled an issue, let it go. Don't bring it up again unless there's a new issue to discuss.

Be honest.

Don't expect your partner (or anyone else) to read your mind.

Some people are just not good together, no matter how much they care about each other.

Give your partner the benefit of the doubt.

Instead of thinking of your relationship in terms of what your partner should be doing for you, ask yourself what you could be doing for them.

Those are just a few, not all from the same relationship.

ETA: Hey, this is my 2000th post!

fillion-off-come-my-pants_zpse124ec47.gif
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you think you just have terrible taste in men or don't understand why you keep ending up in ****ty, emotionally abusive, or turbulent relationships, chances are the problem is you.

I've learned more about the issues I have with myself from relationships than I have about how to work with other people.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Keep your mouth shut and ask yourself if its really worth arguing about
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    never stay with someone that beats you up and says it was your fault they did it...
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    never stay with someone that beats you up and says it was your fault they did it...

^^ This
  • andreacordd
    Options
    - Speak your mind.
    - Don't change for someone just to make them happy (unless it's a negative thing)
    - "It takes two to tango"
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    If you think you just have terrible taste in men or don't understand why you keep ending up in ****ty, emotionally abusive, or turbulent relationships, chances are the problem is you.

I've learned more about the issues I have with myself from relationships than I have about how to work with other people.

Agreed.
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    yea im out of that violent relationship now for the past 7 years thank god x
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    That I prefer to be single. Dating's fine, FWB is great, but I guess I'm not the relationship type.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I've learned that people change and will surprise you. They will do things you would never expect.

I've also learned to take chances. I've learned without communication it all falls apart. I've learned that if they want to, people are capable of change.
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    I have learnt that actually I WAS right on a few occasions! :bigsmile:
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Never believe that it's your fault when a spouse cheats. Never believe that even the best spouse, can't become a cheater. I would be receptive to an "open" marriage anyday. The most important person in my relationship is ME! Plus the two most important words a man will ever say (repeatedly); "Yes Dear".
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options

I always use the "I like challenge" line of defense, but really its because "we accept the love we think we deserve". :)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    yea im out of that violent relationship now for the past 7 years thank god x

Me, too.
    Out 14 now but had kids with him- not the best idea, but love my boys.
    Married 13 to my Prince Charming (well, most of the time- lol!)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I learned never to go back to mans a place unless I am 100% sure of who they are and what their intentions are.

I've also learned that I deserve to be respected and not treated like crap.