Want weight loss? Push your body to the limits

Options

Replies

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    wanted to bump this to see how people are doing. I have laid off this program for the last week to do specific training for my 5K but will be back on it again as soon as it's over. So how have others been doing? No more excuses because of weather (for most at least). Remember, with the weather warming, bring a water bottle. don't become dehydrated as is very possible with this routine.
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Bump! :smile:

Heading to the field by the gym to do a mini-version of this over my lunch hour...
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Ooo I just read this for the first time. Crazy cool idea! I want to try it ASAP. Thanks, Banks!!!
  • banks1850
    Options
    very welcome. I had to stop, because I am now in baseball season and this routine would pretty much make pitching a no no for 2 days after (pitching takes a lot out of your legs). But I did it for about 6 weeks and it ramped up my wind and leg strength greatly! Best of luck to you Kerri.
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Frog jumps are VERY DIFFICULT. Sure one or two feel fine...but after that, wow. Who knew they worked your core as well?

I can do about 1/3 of this workout right now. I'm ok with that!
  • banks1850
    Options
    Frog jumps are VERY DIFFICULT. Sure one or two feel fine...but after that, wow. Who knew they worked your core as well?

I can do about 1/3 of this workout right now. I'm ok with that!

:tongue:

If you can do the whole workout without feeling like someone has shaken you vigorously a few hundred times, then you are pretty much in very good shape and need to either add more stuff to this, or go find something else. Mel, it took me about 9 times before I got to the point where I could do this routine without feeling dizzy and slightly sick, but you eventually do get there, at the end I was adding extra wind sprints to the end and mixing up some of the stuff. But it got my mile time from 8 minutes down to about 6 minutes in 6 weeks so I can definitely say it worked! Some days I feel like I should do it again, and there are others where I wished I never thought it up. But I'll tell you what, the results after a month or so are OUTSTANDING!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    why did this thread stop getting bumped?
    How rude!
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    I need a workout that makes your lungs burn BEFORE muscle fatigue. It seems like every exercise I do my muscles are burning and almost give out, but my heart rate is relatively low, and I am still able to control my breathing within 15 seconds. I know it means my heart and lungs are in shape, but I don't get an optimal cardio workout.

Any suggestions?
  • mattblancarte
    Options
    This happens to me often when I do cardio. I will walk uphill for 20 mins before running and my calves get beat up pretty good. I'll run two miles after the uphill walk, and by the end of the second mile I get severe exhaustion on those muscles. I'll either press on with the run and have some very sore calves the next day, or switch to the elliptical for the remainder of the cardio workout.

I think I just need to work at it and get my muscles caught up with my lungs and heart for long distance running. Sprinting in intervals is always good for me and gets me up into the 180-190 bpm range. After a while I get kinda nauseous, though. Reminds me of soccer conditioning. ^_^
  • banks1850
    Options
    I need a workout that makes your lungs burn BEFORE muscle fatigue. It seems like every exercise I do my muscles are burning and almost give out, but my heart rate is relatively low, and I am still able to control my breathing within 15 seconds. I know it means my heart and lungs are in shape, but I don't get an optimal cardio workout.

Any suggestions?

it all depends on your muscle fitness level alyfin. There isn't much you can do about that aside from increasing muscle strength. Doing a program that strains the muscles will eventually cause the muscles to grow and also will eventually cause them not to fail as fast, but the only way to do that is to keep fighting through the fatigue as long as you can. Weight lifting (low weight high reps) will help some, but really if you're looking for muscle endurance, the only way is to keep doing it.
    Unfortunately it's easier to build up your wind then to build up muscle strength. Expect your muscles to take 3 to 6 months of constant work to really dramatically increase endurance.
    One thing you can do is concentrate on low muscle fatigue work like 3/4 speed sprints, and other cardio only type exercises. Your muscles will still become fatigued, but usually it will take longer. Make sure you give yourself sufficient rest periods between sets of what ever you do.

good luck.
  • lupin
    lupin Posts: 4
    Options
    ooo I think I may try this tomos morning, I'm only doing stuff on the treadmill at the moe and get bored and look at the clock too much counting down the seconds till I can slow down.

That is if I can get my *kitten* out of bed and into the park before the rest of Leicester awakes to see me :happy:
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    Thanks for highlighting this thread in one of your recent posts. I will definitely try this. Wish me luck !!!
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Thanks for highlighting this thread in one of your recent posts. I will definitely try this. Wish me luck !!!

You go girl!
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options

You go girl!

LOL I thought you were going to join me :happy: was all excited here.:flowerforyou: You in??
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options

You go girl!

LOL I thought you were going to join me :happy: was all excited here.:flowerforyou: You in??

I could make so many excuses why not to "I carpool and we go to the gym afterwork but only for 1/2 hour" or " I don't have time because of class, work, boyfriend, etc" but I'm going to tell the truth. :tongue: I am just too bloody lazy to do that without someone yelling at me AND I would feel ridiculous doing that in the park by myself. So I give you mad props and ask that you keep me up to date on your progress because I know you will do fabulous. :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    let me know how you do, feedback is always good.
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options

You go girl!

I could make so many excuses why not to "I carpool and we go to the gym afterwork but only for 1/2 hour" or " I don't have time because of class, work, boyfriend, etc" but I'm going to tell the truth. :tongue: I am just too bloody lazy to do that without someone yelling at me AND I would feel ridiculous doing that in the park by myself. So I give you mad props and ask that you keep me up to date on your progress because I know you will do fabulous. :flowerforyou:

So what if I promise to yell at you all the way from the Okanagan BC.:o) I'm going to be yelling at myself, or maybe SHBoss.... I'm going to see if my friend who lives close by will join me but I suspect she's going to decline. :o) She needs someone to yell at her too and I'm not powerful enough to keep her going. She doesn't get angry with me she just dismisses me.

Boss:
    I will let you know how I do for sure. I have 14lbs to go to get to my goal weight and fitness level and have been debating if I want to go the distance. I decided earlier today that I'm not going to let the extensive size 12 wardrobe I have (most of which has not been worn more than once if at all) keep me from reaching my goals. THIS is going to do it *I know it*.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    How often should someone do an intense 30-45 minute workout?? I read somewhere to perform this type of routine two times a day say M and Tu and then Th and Fri. Does that should reasonable???
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Bump! :flowerforyou:
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options

So what if I promise to yell at you all the way from the Okanagan BC.:o) I'm going to be yelling at myself, or maybe SHBoss.... I'm going to see if my friend who lives close by will join me but I suspect she's going to decline. :o) She needs someone to yell at her too and I'm not powerful enough to keep her going. She doesn't get angry with me she just dismisses me.

Boss:
    I will let you know how I do for sure. I have 14lbs to go to get to my goal weight and fitness level and have been debating if I want to go the distance. I decided earlier today that I'm not going to let the extensive size 12 wardrobe I have (most of which has not been worn more than once if at all) keep me from reaching my goals. THIS is going to do it *I know it*.

We should live in the same town. I do better if I have someone to push me but for now I make do with me pushing me.

I'm glad you decided to give up the size twelves. I'm at the same point my 12's are getting loose and I have nothing smaller. :grumble: