Ladies..scared of BIRTH CONTROL!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• annemcharles
    annemcharles Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use an IUD - not weight gain, no period! *love* it!!!
  • mombieocalypse
    Options
    A lot of my patients are on various forms of birth control. Anecdotally, I'd have to say that very few gain weight with the pill, many do gain with the Depo shot, and perhaps with the implanted form (not as commonly used in this area). I don't know of any who gained with the Mirena (hormone IUD). Basically, it seems to be mostly due to progesterone-only forms of BC. Unfortunately, the women who seem to gain are the ones who have struggled with being overweight for years. The skinny-toothpick girls who need (and often WANT) to gain some weight so they'll have curves almost never do. I have to think there is something going on metabolically in a woman's body that predisposes them to weight gain, and the additional hormone manipulation feeds into that. Just a hunch...

At any rate, you will just have to try it and see how it goes. You might consider a Paragard IUD (copper, no hormones). It's actually more effective at preventing pregnancy, and is very safe.

I am so relieved to see this about the Mirena. I have to go today to have my Paragard removed because it embedded into the uterine muscle and they are going to put in the Mirena. I was worried about the hormones of the Mirena.
  • kirstymustloseweight
    Options
    I have had the Pill, implant and the mirena coil as birth control. All of them I put on at least 30lbs easy! I don't know why but with birth control I just put so much weight on. Im currently not on any birth control and I'm starting to lose the weight I gained. My partner and I are wanting a baby but we are letting fate decide...if it happens then it happens. Just now I'm glad to be losing the weight though! :) x
  • mombieocalypse
    Options
    Just think how much you'd gain if you got pregnant.

None. Pregnancy is the only time I "lose" weight. 3 full term pregnancies and I gained 9lbs with the 1st, 12lbs with the 2nd and 4lbs with the 3rd. All of them were over 91/2 lbs at birth, lol. I always say pregnancy is my weight loss voodoo.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Condoms are great and no hormones! :love:

^^THIS

Not this. Condoms BREAK. Broken condom = baby.

Whatever floats your boat, friends, but I'd much rather take the safe route than be up ****s creek without a paddle.
    Are there no other options?

Sure there are. There's natural family planning, a diaphragm, cerival cap, spermicide coupled with condoms, but my point is, relying ONLY on condoms is just... well, it's stupid and irresponsible, especially for one that doesn't want children. Condoms break. I know too many people that relied on condoms, the condom broke and they got pregnant. All it takes is one time.

Or, there's good old fashioned hormonal birth control. Suck it up and deal with the side effects. I was on depo provera for four years, gained approximately 35 pounds while on it and dealt with pretty ridiculous mood swings and hormones the whole time. But I never got pregnant.

This made me laugh! I can't take hormonal birth control. It isn't just about side effects or weight gain it is because I have a rare hormonal disorder. This wasn't found until I started taking bc. I am still waiting to see what damage has been done to my fertility. At this point we are unaware if I will ever be able to concieve. Yeah I guess I could have just sucked it up and damaged my body even further.

I have had two friends in the past 3 years get pregnant while on birth control. Friend one was married and already had 1 kid. She was on Ortho-tricycline. Friend 2 used bc control pills (don't remember the name). She wasn't married and only used the pill. She found out she was pregnant at the same time she found out she had chlamydia.

My husband and I use condoms and yes we are aware they are not 100% (but bc pills are not either). I am fine being considered stupid and irresponsible lol.

I hope you don't think hormonal bc carries a 100% guarantee against pregnancy.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Condoms are great and no hormones! :love:

^^THIS

Not this. Condoms BREAK. Broken condom = baby.

Whatever floats your boat, friends, but I'd much rather take the safe route than be up ****s creek without a paddle.

Buy a good brand, they dont' break if you use them properly - and every man should know how to use them properly! We've used them for several years with no problems. We only quit using them to have our daughter.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    gaining over 20lbs isn't from birth control- that's a lack of SELF CONTROL. I don't think IUD causes weight gain - but pregnancy will
    MIRENA caused weight gain, yes. It's hormones.
    A paraguard does not.

Mirena has localized hormones. Not systemic. It, nor any other form of birth control, cannot cause weight gain. Eating beyond your TDEE causes weight gain.
    Yeah... my doc told me that as well. It's absolutely not the case. I felt much more systemic effects from it than I did from pills, in fact.
    Mirena caused changes in my breasts, migraines, and 10LBS of water weight. (and a crashed libido). All of which reversed in the months following removal. (after a rather dramatic shift in hormones)
    I was not eating above TDEE, and as I said, it was mostly water. But holding on to water for months on end is not pleasant.
    That said, because of what they do, their mechanism of action, I also absolutely believe they increase appetite in some, of not many women. (Is this not a valid cause for concern?)
    Just as pregnancy does.
    Women vary.
    Their reaction to hormone shifts varies.
    Their response to progestins (as opposed to progesterone) varies.
    (Just as women experience pregnancy differently....)

I'm glad you haven't experienced unpleasant side effects from hormonal birth control. You couldn't pay me enough to put that stuff in my body again. And I can't fathom the absolutist dismissal of concerns, and experiences that I see in these threads.

Bless your heart

Correlation =/= causation.
  • gettingfitx
    Options
    I had no idea this post was still going! Thanks for all the support and ideas ladies. Since the post, I have got the hormone-free IUD and seems to be doing just fine!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    gaining over 20lbs isn't from birth control- that's a lack of SELF CONTROL. I don't think IUD causes weight gain - but pregnancy will
    A paraguard does not.

Mirena has localized hormones. Not systemic. It, nor any other form of birth control, cannot cause weight gain. Eating beyond your TDEE causes weight gain.
    Yeah... my doc told me that as well. It's absolutely not the case. I felt much more systemic effects from it than I did from pills, in fact.
    Mirena caused changes in my breasts, migraines, and 10LBS of water weight. (and a crashed libido). All of which reversed in the months following removal. (after a rather dramatic shift in hormones)
    I was not eating above TDEE, and as I said, it was mostly water. But holding on to water for months on end is not pleasant.
    That said, because of what they do, their mechanism of action, I also absolutely believe they increase appetite in some, of not many women. (Is this not a valid cause for concern?)
    Just as pregnancy does.
    Women vary.

I'm glad you haven't experienced unpleasant side effects from hormonal birth control. You couldn't pay me enough to put that stuff in my body again. And I can't fathom the absolutist dismissal of concerns, and experiences that I see in these threads.

Bless your heart

Bless your heart! so needing your decision to be right! For you and for everyone!

cheers
  • emilyquast
    Options
    i'm on microgestin pills and i haven't noticed any significant weight gains. any weight i gained since november is probably due to the inordinate amount of pizza i ate over the past several months. can't blame the pill for that. plus my periods are wonderful and i love crying at publix commercials. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have had the Pill, implant and the mirena coil as birth control. All of them I put on at least 30lbs easy! I don't know why but with birth control I just put so much weight on. Im currently not on any birth control and I'm starting to lose the weight I gained. My partner and I are wanting a baby but we are letting fate decide...if it happens then it happens. Just now I'm glad to be losing the weight though! :) x
    Best of luck!
  • Sofitin2013
    Options
    It makes me gain weight and there is no way around it. I went off of it after a few months....
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    A paraguard does not.

Just as pregnancy does.
    Women vary.

Bless your heart

Bless your heart! so needing your decision to be right! For you and for everyone!

cheers

Right back atcha! :flowerforyou: