Why do so many people think meat is essential? (NOT DEBATE)

Options

Replies

• butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I have to say that in my years I've only ever encountered a couple of meat-eaters who were vehemently anti-vegetarian....but I'm afraid to say that on the flipside, I've encountered quite a number of vegans (not vegetarians) who were not only entrenched but downright hostile....

Have to agree with this. I personally think to each their own...but I've definitely seen my share of vegans who not only have to announce that they're vegan, but are completely disgusted by those who eat meat and have no problem saying so.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have to say that in my years I've only ever encountered a couple of meat-eaters who were vehemently anti-vegetarian....but I'm afraid to say that on the flipside, I've encountered quite a number of vegans (not vegetarians) who were not only entrenched but downright hostile....

Have to agree with this. I personally think to each their own...but I've definitely seen my share of vegans who not only have to announce that they're vegan, but are completely disgusted by those who eat meat and have no problem saying so.

In my first week here, a vegan drew a moral equivalent between meat eaters and Hitler and slave owners.
    Doesn't exactly prime you for unemotional, non-judgmental discourse.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I get a lot from friends, and no so close friends, that I should eat meat and a strict vegetarian diet is unhealthy, and meat is essential in a healthy diet blah blah.

Why is this such a common astigmatism? What are your thoughts (WITHOUT BEING RUDE OR DEBATING) on a no-meat lifestyle? If you are vegetarian/vegan, do you find yourself to be healthy?

Without ebing rude or debating? So you are just looking for people to agree with you.

Got it.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Also OP...I don't think you meant 'astigmatism.' :laugh:
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Also OP...I don't think you meant 'astigmatism.' :laugh:

4d5.png
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Assume no one read my post, my phone auto corrected from stigma v.vv
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i crave meat after heaving lifting sessions. No amount of protein-containing veggies is going to satisfy that craving. I listen to my body and give it what it asks for
  • Lessthanpenguins
    Lessthanpenguins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I eat meat cause it tastes good. I have relatives who are vegitarian not by choice and they are perfectly healthy so I know it can be done. Plus, I enjoy the satisfaction of going out, killing a deer, and eating it more than I do from eating produce I get from my garden.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    People eat meat because the "caveman" told them too.

The reality is people eat what they eat based on how the interpret data , their beliefs, and their opinions.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Hiya,

I get a lot from friends, and no so close friends, that I should eat meat and a strict vegetarian diet is unhealthy, and meat is essential in a healthy diet blah blah.

Why is this such a common astigmatism? What are your thoughts (WITHOUT BEING RUDE OR DEBATING) on a no-meat lifestyle? If you are vegetarian/vegan, do you find yourself to be healthy?

Without being rude or debating? So you are just looking for people to agree with you.
    Got it.

Just reading through. I was wrong. It is really a meat-eater bashing thread. Makes more sense given your agenda.

That said, I don't eat as much meat as I used to and do eat some veggie and fruit only meals. I like meat and enjoy the nutritional benefits of it.

Personal chioce.
    It is as simple as that.
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    CAN PEOPLE ON MY FITNESS PAL NOT JUST HAVING ****ING CONVERSATION WITHOUT ARGUING? THAT'S WHAT I MEANT BY NO DEBATE.

Jesus. Sorry for the caps lock, but seriously. I don't want people to agree with me. Stop thinking I am trying to do that. I was just interested in peoples views on the matter. \But of course there are always those whiny, wanna-be psychologists who have to cross-examine everything.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    CAN PEOPLE ON MY FITNESS PAL NOT JUST HAVING ****ING CONVERSATION WITHOUT ARGUING? THAT'S WHAT I MEANT BY NO DEBATE.

Jesus. Sorry for the caps lock, but seriously. I don't want people to agree with me. Stop thinking I am trying to do that. I was just interested in peoples views on the matter. \But of course there are always those whiny, wanna-be psychologists who have to cross-examine everything.

You deintely don't like to be questioned.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options

A good conversation is when you have a view on both side and there are interaction between the two. At least to me when I hear both side, I learn more. O no... I sound like a wanna-be psychologists who have to cross examine everything. :(. Screw it, all of you are right. Meat is/is not essential.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I knew a battle would rage. (shaking head)
  • StephenHebs
    StephenHebs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    astigmatism
  • 2fat2bthin
    Options
    Well I am a peskitarian, and I find that when I go vegetarian I just don't manage to get enough protein. The reason there is a common opinion that it is unhealthy is because a lot of people tend to not get enough protein, iron, and a few other things. Vegetarian can be healthy, but vegan is usually pretty bad for you simply because you don't get enough of the needed nutrition
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    People who are vegan or vegetarian can be healthy. People who are meat eaters can be healthy.

yes. to each their own. If u dont eat meat, good.. If i do eat meat, good.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people think that meat is unhealthy?
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    If-God-wanted-us-to-be-vegetarians...He-would-have-made-broccoli-more-fun-to-shoot-at._355.jpg
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i could go meatless.
    nah, let me rephrase that
    i like a good piece of meat.
    fleshy meat.