Why do so many people think meat is essential? (NOT DEBATE)

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about a month now but have always been disgusted by eating meat. I don't mind handling meat and cooking it for others but I can't stand the idea of eating it myself. My family was my biggest problem - my dad, who lived off of meat that his family shot when he was younger, was completely shocked when I said I didn't want to eat meat anymore. My mum was confused, and concerned that I wouldn't get enough protein but I showed her just how much protein a lot of other things have in. I mostly just eat normal meals, but with a Quorn product as a substitute for the meat, and I've never felt healthier! The low fat and extra fibre is great, but I find Quorn so much more filling and I even prefer the taste of it. I think it's ignorant people who don't understand nutrition very well that adopt the caveman way of thinking.

Ingredients: Mycoprotein (36%), Partially Rehydrated Egg White, Textured Wheat Protein (Wheat Protein, Wheat Starch), Onion, Sunflower Oil, Milk Protein. Contains 2% or less of Rusk (Wheat Flour, Ammonium Bicarbonate), Palm Oil, Natural Flavors From Non-Meat Sources, Salt, Sugar, Tapioca Starch, Sodium Alginate, Smoked Paprika, Pectin, Potato Maltodextrin, Barley Malt Extract, Smoked Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Smoke Flavoring, Citric Acid, Gum Arabic, Silicon Dioxide, Tricalcium Phosphate.

Yea, I think i'll just stick to meat.

As a person who is primarily gluten free for medical reasons, one portion of that sounds like a house full of clogged up toilets and a bottle of benedryl (if I did it the other way around I'd pass out and . . . well . . . use your imagination).
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Astigmatism is a type of refractive error of the eye, and is the most common reason people go to the eye doctor.

There is, however, a prevailing opinion that people who are vegetarian are often unhealthy. There is some scientific research that implies this as well, but as any good scientist knows, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So both sides can certainly find many scholarly articles supporting their sides.

That being said...my personal experience have been primarily of one of two camps with regards to vegan/vegetarians:
    a) the fundamentalist variety who demean and degrade those who do not worship at their meat-free altar.
    b) the vegetarian who has never eaten a plant a day in their life. Live on mac-n-cheese, sammiches, and soup. Think this is healthier without meat, but inevitably still have cardiac issues due to living on cheese.

If it works for you: keep it up. It is possible to eat and be healthy as a vegetarian, but it is a more delicate balance with regards to proteins, which are the building blocks for muscles. However, don't degrade my choice to eat bacon on the weekends and own a cattle farm. As long as we respect each other despite widely varied beliefs, we will get on just fine.

/soapbox
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    Astigmatism is a type of refractive error of the eye, and is the most common reason people go to the eye doctor.

It's true. This affliction can lead to things like not being able to read the OP's explanation that her phone autocorrected the word stigma, for instance.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about a month now but have always been disgusted by eating meat. I don't mind handling meat and cooking it for others but I can't stand the idea of eating it myself. My family was my biggest problem - my dad, who lived off of meat that his family shot when he was younger, was completely shocked when I said I didn't want to eat meat anymore. My mum was confused, and concerned that I wouldn't get enough protein but I showed her just how much protein a lot of other things have in. I mostly just eat normal meals, but with a Quorn product as a substitute for the meat, and I've never felt healthier! The low fat and extra fibre is great, but I find Quorn so much more filling and I even prefer the taste of it. I think it's ignorant people who don't understand nutrition very well that adopt the caveman way of thinking.

Ingredients: Mycoprotein (36%), Partially Rehydrated Egg White, Textured Wheat Protein (Wheat Protein, Wheat Starch), Onion, Sunflower Oil, Milk Protein. Contains 2% or less of Rusk (Wheat Flour, Ammonium Bicarbonate), Palm Oil, Natural Flavors From Non-Meat Sources, Salt, Sugar, Tapioca Starch, Sodium Alginate, Smoked Paprika, Pectin, Potato Maltodextrin, Barley Malt Extract, Smoked Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Smoke Flavoring, Citric Acid, Gum Arabic, Silicon Dioxide, Tricalcium Phosphate.

Whatever it is you quoted isn't strict vegetarian (milk and eggs?). But the overall ingredients look pretty good to me. I've tried the fungus vat grown food - aside from Soylent Green type thoughts it was pretty tasty. A few people have reactions to Quorn - might be a concern for a few.
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    Whatever it is you quoted isn't strict vegetarian (milk and eggs?). But the overall ingredients look pretty good to me. I've tried the fungus vat grown food - aside from Soylent Green type thoughts it was pretty tasty. A few people have reactions to Quorn - might be a concern for a few.

In practice at least, "Vegetarian" tends to refer to lacto-ovo-vegetarians while "Vegan" is used for folks who eschew not just meat, but animal products in general.
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    Well, for me, if I cut out meats, I'll have a harder time getting enough protein (which is something that's hard for me anyway). I'm allergic to beans (I get hives and vomit a lot, not pretty) and tree nuts (canker sores in my whole mouth and down my throat). So, if I didn't eat meat, eggs, fish, dairy, etc, I'm not sure I'd even come close to getting enough protein. For me personally, I need meat in my diet. However, it's mostly chicken.

My sister on the other hand, has never been able to properly digest meat or cheese (in particular), so she eats a ton of beans and nuts. For my sister, she does great without meat.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Thats the ingredients to a Quorn product.

• moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Just so you know, not everything that you find hard to pronounce is bad for you. Tricalcium phosphate and silicon dioxide are just naturally occurring minerals, f'rinstance.

themoreyouknow.jpg

I didin't say any of it was bad for you. I like my ingredient to look like this: Chicken
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about what others eat or don't. My brother and his wife are vegetarians. More power to them! I tried it for a year, but just couldn't get enough protein. I was tired and dizzy and hedachey a lot. But, I now know more about how to get non-meat protein. So I might try it again. just to see if I can do it.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I thought an astigmatism was a condition of the eye?

LOL My thoughts exactly! :happy:
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i'm not a fan, because the 1 person i know who went vegetarian-> then vegan, her hair started to fall out because of a lack of B-12 vitamins (i think that's what she was deficient in).

As she put it, she loves the animals, but loves her hair more.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    a·stig·ma·tism
    /əˈstigməˌtizəm/

A defect in the eye or in a lens caused by a deviation from spherical curvature, which prevents light rays from meeting at a common...

^^ My thoughts exactly.
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    i'm not a fan, because the 1 person i know who went vegetarian-> then vegan, her hair started to fall out because of a lack of B-12 vitamins (i think that's what she was deficient in).

As she put it, she loves the animals, but loves her hair more.
    Moving to a vegan diet without even the tiniest bit of education, which your friend obviously did, is probably one of the biggest ways that veganism gets a bad name. :(
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    If-God-wanted-us-to-be-vegetarians...He-would-have-made-broccoli-more-fun-to-shoot-at._355.jpg

haha.

likewise, if god didn't want us to eat our babies, why did He make them out of meat??? (and fun to shoot at, apparently)

ETA:I just like to turn this kinda tongue in cheek banter around. My favorite bumper sticker is the one that says "Vegans Taste Better" because it can be anti vegan or pro vegan, depending on what you mean by "eating" them ;)
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options

Just so you know, not everything that you find hard to pronounce is bad for you. Tricalcium phosphate and silicon dioxide are just naturally occurring minerals, f'rinstance.

themoreyouknow.jpg

Ok- I believe silicon dioxide is sand. I wasn't aware that sand was good for you. I don't like the taste of sand and will stick to my meat, except when my meat gets sand on it-then I will also eat silicon dioxide with my meat.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Well, for me, if I cut out meats, I'll have a harder time getting enough protein (which is something that's hard for me anyway). I'm allergic to beans (I get hives and vomit a lot, not pretty) and tree nuts (canker sores in my whole mouth and down my throat). So, if I didn't eat meat, eggs, fish, dairy, etc, I'm not sure I'd even come close to getting enough protein. For me personally, I need meat in my diet. However, it's mostly chicken.

My sister on the other hand, has never been able to properly digest meat or cheese (in particular), so she eats a ton of beans and nuts. For my sister, she does great without meat.

I noticed you said "tree" nuts give you canker sores in your whole mouth and down your throat- do "non-tree" nuts do the same?
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Meat may not be essential but it sure is delicious. And I would get cranky if I go too long without bacon.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    If-God-wanted-us-to-be-vegetarians...He-would-have-made-broccoli-more-fun-to-shoot-at._355.jpg

haha.

likewise, if god didn't want us to eat our babies, why did He make them out of meat??? (and fun to shoot at, apparently)

ETA:I just like to turn this kinda tongue in cheek banter around. My favorite bumper sticker is the one that says "Vegans Taste Better" because it can be anti vegan or pro vegan, depending on what you mean by "eating" them ;)

Ummm.... wha...? Thats not even the same kind of comparison... Having a preference for meat (carnivorous) is nothing even remotely close to being cannibalistic. This isn't "tongue-in-cheek" banter, you are just sick!

My post of this picture was meant to be funny and not derrogatory, I didnt think it was necessary to post that it was meant to be funny. I saw people getting a bit hot under the collar in discussion and it was my attempt to lift some of that into a more conversational tone.

Wow.....
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    one word:

bacon.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It takes more work to get everything you need without meat in your diet. Not A LOT more, but some vegetarians, particularly the ones who are also picky eaters and don't like vegetables, end up eating nothing but bread, fries, etc. If you are going to be a vegetarian, you really need to like and be willing to eat vegetables.