Why do so many people think meat is essential? (NOT DEBATE)

Options

Replies

• mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I get a lot from friends, and no so close friends, that I should eat meat and a strict vegetarian diet is unhealthy, and meat is essential in a healthy diet blah blah.

Why is this such a common predicament? What are your thoughts (WITHOUT BEING RUDE OR DEBATING) on a no-meat lifestyle? If you are vegetarian/vegan, do you find yourself to be healthy?

I could never do it, I like my chicken and steak wayyy too much.

There is ways to do it though- I would just never consider them haha
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I love meat. It's yummy. I could care less if you're a veggie or a vegan. The only time those lifestyles really annoy me are when the people who practice them preach about how horrible it is, or I am, that I eat meat and I enjoy it.
  • shawnasis
    shawnasis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny...not funny haha but funny sad...when anyone attacks another person for their food choices. Whether it be a vegan, vegie, or meatie, or occassional junkie. We need to be healthy for sure and that varies from person to person. I eat meat because I am anemic and although the meat isn't curing the problem I find it easier to get more iron in meat and enjoy it than in the same amount in other foods. I have a niece you does not eat anything that comes from something with a face. Which means NO dairy, NO meats, etc. She seems perfectly healthy. She is almost 30 and has lived this way since she was 4. Live and let live...as long as you aren't suffering health problems then that's what you need to care about :heart:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    If-God-wanted-us-to-be-vegetarians...He-would-have-made-broccoli-more-fun-to-shoot-at._355.jpg

haha.

likewise, if god didn't want us to eat our babies, why did He make them out of meat??? (and fun to shoot at, apparently)

ETA:I just like to turn this kinda tongue in cheek banter around. My favorite bumper sticker is the one that says "Vegans Taste Better" because it can be anti vegan or pro vegan, depending on what you mean by "eating" them ;)

Ummm.... wha...? Thats not even the same kind of comparison... Having a preference for meat (carnivorous) is nothing even remotely close to being cannibalistic. This isn't "tongue-in-cheek" banter, you are just sick!

My post of this picture was meant to be funny and not derrogatory, I didnt think it was necessary to post that it was meant to be funny. I saw people getting a bit hot under the collar in discussion and it was my attempt to lift some of that into a more conversational tone.

Wow.....

haha.

my comment about the babies was *also* meant to be funny and not derogatory. Take a chill pill!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    All my ex girlfriends ate meat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    and i just have to say, maybe i find cannibalism jokes hilarious because i grew up eating human flesh (catholic. transubstantiation. look it up if you don't know what it is!)

No wonder I'm a vegetarian! LOL

f_ZombieLastSm_4191095.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    and i just have to say, maybe i find cannibalism jokes hilarious because i grew up eating human flesh (catholic. transubstantiation. look it up if you don't know what it is!)

He did say "eat of my this bread it is my body"....just saying....:tongue:
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I like tube steak
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

When I was vegan, I told my mom that if i accidentally lose a finger or something, I want her to toss it in the freezer so I could eat it later. I figure if anyone is gonna eat my meat, it shall be me! LOL!

And you can imagine what i wanted to do with my placenta. I'm so gross :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

When I was vegan, I told my mom that if i accidentally lose a finger or something, I want her to toss it in the freezer so I could eat it later. I figure if anyone is gonna eat my meat, it shall be me! LOL!

Grind it up and sprinkle it on your food? I've heard of people doing that before..lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    How could this possibly not be essential???

1317747365_bacon_frying.gif
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If-God-wanted-us-to-be-vegetarians...He-would-have-made-broccoli-more-fun-to-shoot-at._355.jpg

haha.

likewise, if god didn't want us to eat our babies, why did He make them out of meat??? (and fun to shoot at, apparently)

ETA:I just like to turn this kinda tongue in cheek banter around. My favorite bumper sticker is the one that says "Vegans Taste Better" because it can be anti vegan or pro vegan, depending on what you mean by "eating" them ;)

Ummm.... wha...? Thats not even the same kind of comparison... Having a preference for meat (carnivorous) is nothing even remotely close to being cannibalistic. This isn't "tongue-in-cheek" banter, you are just sick!

My post of this picture was meant to be funny and not derrogatory, I didnt think it was necessary to post that it was meant to be funny. I saw people getting a bit hot under the collar in discussion and it was my attempt to lift some of that into a more conversational tone.

Wow.....

/throws down a rope as you may need some help climbing out of that sarchasm
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Grind it up and sprinkle it on your food? I've heard of people doing that before..lol.

Jesus flesh and placentas are ok cuz IIFYM!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

...oh man. I'm gonna have to go to church next sunday for all this :) Lo siento, Jesus Christo! I'm only KIDDING!!!!
  • _Thanatos_
    Options
    Not all protein are the same. I want my protein to come from meat, preferably lean meats. Don't want any of that vegan crap.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about a month now but have always been disgusted by eating meat. I don't mind handling meat and cooking it for others but I can't stand the idea of eating it myself. My family was my biggest problem - my dad, who lived off of meat that his family shot when he was younger, was completely shocked when I said I didn't want to eat meat anymore. My mum was confused, and concerned that I wouldn't get enough protein but I showed her just how much protein a lot of other things have in. I mostly just eat normal meals, but with a Quorn product as a substitute for the meat, and I've never felt healthier! The low fat and extra fibre is great, but I find Quorn so much more filling and I even prefer the taste of it. I think it's ignorant people who don't understand nutrition very well that adopt the caveman way of thinking.

Ingredients: Mycoprotein (36%), Partially Rehydrated Egg White, Textured Wheat Protein (Wheat Protein, Wheat Starch), Onion, Sunflower Oil, Milk Protein. Contains 2% or less of Rusk (Wheat Flour, Ammonium Bicarbonate), Palm Oil, Natural Flavors From Non-Meat Sources, Salt, Sugar, Tapioca Starch, Sodium Alginate, Smoked Paprika, Pectin, Potato Maltodextrin, Barley Malt Extract, Smoked Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Smoke Flavoring, Citric Acid, Gum Arabic, Silicon Dioxide, Tricalcium Phosphate.

Yea, I think i'll just stick to meat.
    they lost me at palm oil
    http://www.orangutan.org.au/palm-oil
    c'mon people don't eat meat but let's denude the forest and kill off the orangutans.
    Vegetarians are fine. But read your labels people.

I tried it vegetarianism myself but became very ill. I did replace the protein and only ate healthy food, but there are things I can't eat either due to allergies. I eat free range meat and dairy with my healthy vegies and fruit.

I avoid palm oil products.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Not all protein are the same. I want my protein to come from meat, preferably lean meats. Don't want any of that vegan crap.

....and with a name like Thanatos!

I bet IRL mine is bigger than yours is! (Thanatos, that is)

ETA: I'm actually totally bummed that someone calling themselves Thanatos isn't accepting FRs :(
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Well, for me, if I cut out meats, I'll have a harder time getting enough protein (which is something that's hard for me anyway). I'm allergic to beans (I get hives and vomit a lot, not pretty) and tree nuts (canker sores in my whole mouth and down my throat). So, if I didn't eat meat, eggs, fish, dairy, etc, I'm not sure I'd even come close to getting enough protein. For me personally, I need meat in my diet.

Which has more protein: broccoli or steak?

Don't be too sure you know the answer, it may surprise you. Calorie for calorie, broccoli has more than double the protein than a sirloin steak, but the steak also has 55 mg cholesterol and 1.7 grams of saturated fat. The broccoli? 0 cholesterol and a teeny tiny amount of saturated fat. And in case you might be thinking that broccoli is a “magic” vegetable, and other vegetables don't have the same sizzle, I can tell you that most vegetables are just as nutrient dense. This means that calorie for calorie, most vegetables (and other plant-based foods) have loads of nutrients, whereas most animal-based foods do not.

http://www.dachia.com/Broccoli_vs_Steak.html
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Well, for me, if I cut out meats, I'll have a harder time getting enough protein (which is something that's hard for me anyway). I'm allergic to beans (I get hives and vomit a lot, not pretty) and tree nuts (canker sores in my whole mouth and down my throat). So, if I didn't eat meat, eggs, fish, dairy, etc, I'm not sure I'd even come close to getting enough protein. For me personally, I need meat in my diet.

Don't be too sure you know the answer, it may surprise you. Calorie for calorie, broccoli has more than double the protein than a sirloin steak, but the steak also has 55 mg cholesterol and 1.7 grams of saturated fat. The broccoli? 0 cholesterol and a teeny tiny amount of saturated fat. And in case you might be thinking that broccoli is a “magic” vegetable, and other vegetables don't have the same sizzle, I can tell you that most vegetables are just as nutrient dense. This means that calorie for calorie, most vegetables (and other plant-based foods) have loads of nutrients, whereas most animal-based foods do not.

Compare ounce to ounce. You're gonna have to get a lot of broccoli down to do the job.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Compare ounce to ounce. You're gonna have to get a lot of broccoli down to do the job.

LOGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This here is truth. Maybe per calorie but you are gonna be vomiting before you can shove enough broccoli in you to meet your protein needs....
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

But what if I like the taste of cholesterol and saturated fat?

I'd love to see you eat enough broccoli at once to get 30-40g of protein. Note, I'd prefer not to be around you hours later though. (Personally, and this is entirely my own personal choice, not necessarily others', I'd rather enjoy a 6 oz steak than 3+ pounds of broccoli.)

I'm all for veg*ns eating what they want to eat...but you're going to have to try a different approach if you're going to convince me that vegetables are more nutrient-dense than animal products. And if you do find a vegetable that is more nutrient-dense than steak, I'll counter with organ meat and win ALL TEH NUTRIENT-DENSITY COMPETITIONS!!1!eleven!1