Why do so many people think meat is essential? (NOT DEBATE)

Options

Replies

• RoboGal12
    RoboGal12 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts (WITHOUT BEING RUDE OR DEBATING) on a no-meat lifestyle? If you are vegetarian/vegan, do you find yourself to be healthy?

Wait, what's wrong with a healthy debate? How do you expect people to discuss their opinions without debating JUST a little?
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    CAN PEOPLE ON MY FITNESS PAL NOT JUST HAVING ****ING CONVERSATION WITHOUT ARGUING? THAT'S WHAT I MEANT BY NO DEBATE.

Jesus. Sorry for the caps lock, but seriously. I don't want people to agree with me. Stop thinking I am trying to do that. I was just interested in peoples views on the matter. \But of course there are always those whiny, wanna-be psychologists who have to cross-examine everything.

attacking/insulting users
  • lgreen37
    lgreen37 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian. Sometimes I eat seafood. Not often.
    I have not had meat in years - The reason? It was my nemesis. I ate too much of it. So - with no poultry, beef or pork, when I go to a physical my doctor says that I'm doing great. I do take vitamin supplements. I'm doing just fine.
    I guess it depends on the decision of the person.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Options
    Well I am a peskitarian..............

Pescetarian
  • sarabella1987
    sarabella1987 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Because it's delicous
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Animal protein contains all amino acids for you body to produce serotonin - the brain chemical needed for sleep.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people think that meat is unhealthy?

For the same reason they think milk and fat are bad: the billion dollar weight loss industry and marketing
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Meat , beans, nuts, eggs It's all yummy in my book. If your a vegetarian or a vegan, I'll congratulate ya, that's awesome and I think its a lot harder to cut out meat and/or dairy and eggs. So kudos to them! As long as your getting your protein and other nutrients why does it matter what you eat. I personally love meat, was raised in a hunting family so I've eaten coon, squirrel, rabbit, buffalo, deer, along with the usual cow, pig, chicken, turkey. I'm not gonna push meat on ya, and I don't expect vegetarians and vegan to push their eating habits on me. Just my opinion, I believe to each their own.
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about a month now but have always been disgusted by eating meat. I don't mind handling meat and cooking it for others but I can't stand the idea of eating it myself. My family was my biggest problem - my dad, who lived off of meat that his family shot when he was younger, was completely shocked when I said I didn't want to eat meat anymore. My mum was confused, and concerned that I wouldn't get enough protein but I showed her just how much protein a lot of other things have in. I mostly just eat normal meals, but with a Quorn product as a substitute for the meat, and I've never felt healthier! The low fat and extra fibre is great, but I find Quorn so much more filling and I even prefer the taste of it. I think it's ignorant people who don't understand nutrition very well that adopt the caveman way of thinking.
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    You deintely don't like to be questioned.

And you definitely don't like to respect people's requests that you just have a civil conversation without having to fall into personally attacking someone for not engaging you in a debate, or bashing them for making a 'bashing thread' when that wasn't their purpose.

So, y'know, we've all got flaws I guess?

To get back on track, I'm a pescatarian myself, and I know that not even the fish is really essential, but I like it and I think that fish are just big dumb bugs that aren't smart enough for me to worry about their suffering, because I'm that kind of jerk. But I can definitely respect anyone who goes full veggie or vegan, and I'm absolutely baffled by the idea that anyone's dumb enough to think that a vegetarian diet can't fulfill someone's nutritional needs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There are two kinds of vegetarians, just as there are two kinds of meat eaters...healthy ones and non healthy ones.

I know a hand full of vegetarians and a couple of them are very healthy...get all of their nutrients, etc...they look fantastic...they are strong and eat well rounded and nutritious diets. Others have no idea what they are doing..they look emaciated and sick because they don't get their proper nutrients (particularly protein). They consume mass quantities of junk food but think they're "healthy" just because they're not eating meat. One of my wife's friends literally eats french fries at just about every meal, and sometimes that is her meal.

Conversely, meat eaters can be either healthy or unhealthy as well. Some people I know think it's ok to eat whatever meat in any quantity because ultimately it's protein...and protein is good right? They disregard saturated fats and calories and assume it's all good. Some (many I know) don't get enough nutrients from fruit and veg...it's all meat and potatoes...and yeah...they're fat. Others (and I would include myself) eat meat, but eat a healthy and balanced diet and get nutrients from a variety of sources.
  • jimbo480
    jimbo480 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a meat eater but I don't force meat on others. If people want to abstain from meat that's fine with me. If they feel healthy and happy with their diet who am I to judge them?
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    i crave meat after heaving lifting sessions. No amount of protein-containing veggies is going to satisfy that craving. I listen to my body and give it what it asks for

This. I tried to go veg and failed miserably.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    i crave meat after heaving lifting sessions. No amount of protein-containing veggies is going to satisfy that craving. I listen to my body and give it what it asks for

This. I tried to go veg and failed miserably.

Craving meat and trying to go veg.......I've been around the forums too long......I like meat so I eat it. If you don't like meat don't eat it....I'll be me....You be you. Don't try to tell me eating meat is wrong and I won't tell you to eat it.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • Gusman14
    Options
    Because it's delicous

I concur!
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Options
    I gave up meat for June of last summer. bad timing as I got very very sick and wasn't able to fight it off.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about a month now but have always been disgusted by eating meat. I don't mind handling meat and cooking it for others but I can't stand the idea of eating it myself. My family was my biggest problem - my dad, who lived off of meat that his family shot when he was younger, was completely shocked when I said I didn't want to eat meat anymore. My mum was confused, and concerned that I wouldn't get enough protein but I showed her just how much protein a lot of other things have in. I mostly just eat normal meals, but with a Quorn product as a substitute for the meat, and I've never felt healthier! The low fat and extra fibre is great, but I find Quorn so much more filling and I even prefer the taste of it. I think it's ignorant people who don't understand nutrition very well that adopt the caveman way of thinking.

Ingredients: Mycoprotein (36%), Partially Rehydrated Egg White, Textured Wheat Protein (Wheat Protein, Wheat Starch), Onion, Sunflower Oil, Milk Protein. Contains 2% or less of Rusk (Wheat Flour, Ammonium Bicarbonate), Palm Oil, Natural Flavors From Non-Meat Sources, Salt, Sugar, Tapioca Starch, Sodium Alginate, Smoked Paprika, Pectin, Potato Maltodextrin, Barley Malt Extract, Smoked Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Smoke Flavoring, Citric Acid, Gum Arabic, Silicon Dioxide, Tricalcium Phosphate.

Yea, I think i'll just stick to meat.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I thought an astigmatism was a condition of the eye?
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    Ingredients: Mycoprotein (36%), Partially Rehydrated Egg White, Textured Wheat Protein (Wheat Protein, Wheat Starch), Onion, Sunflower Oil, Milk Protein. Contains 2% or less of Rusk (Wheat Flour, Ammonium Bicarbonate), Palm Oil, Natural Flavors From Non-Meat Sources, Salt, Sugar, Tapioca Starch, Sodium Alginate, Smoked Paprika, Pectin, Potato Maltodextrin, Barley Malt Extract, Smoked Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Smoke Flavoring, Citric Acid, Gum Arabic, Silicon Dioxide, Tricalcium Phosphate.

Yea, I think i'll just stick to meat.

Just so you know, not everything that you find hard to pronounce is bad for you. Tricalcium phosphate and silicon dioxide are just naturally occurring minerals, f'rinstance.

themoreyouknow.jpg
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I was told that you wouldn't get all the amino acids you need from any vegetables so you need to combine certain foods, rice and beans, chickpeas and bread, and other classic combinations to get a COMPLETE protein. I have since read conflicting "reports" that this really isn't the case and that the typical vegetarian will be just fine eating what they consider normally.

I did eat vegetarian for a couple years but finally came to the realization that meat is just too tasty not to eat. It took more time to figure out how to eat meat in a healthy and controlled manner..

Meat is not essential, it's just tasty as all get out. If you aren't eating meat make sure you get a varied COLOR of vegetables to eat as different colored vegetables have different vitamins (This may also be true or not as I read it in vegetarian times so I question the bias).