Aspartame in Milk?

Options

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Fact: I didn't even notice a difference between each of your profile pictures. Does that mean I think you're both men? Women? Hacking something at the same time and not paying attention? Not sure. But I do know you're best buds. So cute sticking up for him :)

You cannot tell the difference between a man's torso and a woman's torso?? Or were you just being rude and insulting on purpose? Body shaming towards either sex is wrong. Shame on you.

I am going to assume there's nothing insulting about not being able to tell two ridiculously hot people apart.

WOof! *wags tail!* *pants* *drools a little*
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna read this whole thread, but I hope you know that dairy cows are fed copious amounts of jelly beans to sweeten their milk.

That is all.

No, you're thinking of Ronald Reagan.

You've been drinking Ronald Reagan's milk? You sick mo'fo.

I am a real American, fight for the rights of every man.

hulk.jpg
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna read this whole thread, but I hope you know that dairy cows are fed copious amounts of jelly beans to sweeten their milk.

That is all.

No, you're thinking of Ronald Reagan.

Hated broccoli. Fact.

I like jelly beans. I hate broccoli. I also rarely know what's going on.

What about a Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Broccoli Bean?

Why would anyone invent such a horrible thing? *sigh* Some people just want to watch the world burn, I suppose.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Btw, for those that quote that aspartame contains methanol, phenylalanine and aspartic acid this is incorrect. It does not. It does however get metabolized in minute quantities into these component. Minute quantitites which are generally not dangerous (fruit contains higher concentrations of methanol and AA.) and PA is only dangerous for someone with PK. This quoted article from Mercola shows once again why that site is crap.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Oh, they don't gots to know about it. It could be our milk.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm confused? From what I read in the original article:
    Dairy industry groups have asked the Food and Drug Administration to be able to put artificial sweeteners in milk, and not change the label, claiming that it is so consumers can "more easily identify its overall nutritional value".

Isn't that what's happening? I'd like some clarification :(

The original article is terrible. Here is a better one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/26/aspartame-milk_n_2764729.html?utm_hp_ref=business

They are allowed to add sugar or HFCS to milk and still call it milk. For example "chocolate milk" always has HFCS or sugar added to it.

They want to be able to add zero-calorie sweeteners like aspartame, Stevia, etc, instead of HFCS/sugar and still sell the items as "chocolate milk." Right now, doing so is illegal.

I think it would be good to be able to buy "chocolate milk" that has aspartame or stevia instead of HFCS added to it.

Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification! As long as it's labeled (cane sugar, HFCS, stevia, aspartame), then that's fine. As long as the consumer can see what's in the milk and decide based on that. Personally I don't consume aspartame because it gives me headaches and I try to avoid artificial sweeteners, but if someone who is, say, diabetic wants to buy chocolate milk, then it's a good option to have!

Research has shown that artificial sweeteners cause insulin spikes and those insulin spikes make the Type II diabetic person ravenous! They would be much better off without artificial sweeteners. I do not use sugar, simple carbs or artificial sweeteners and I'm still here! In fact, my health has significantly improved.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

Also protein is highly insulinogenic, best avoid that too

Protein is essential to the body.....aspartame is most definitely not! Nor are carbohydrates/sugar because the body creates it.

But in relation to this comment, "Research has shown that artificial sweeteners cause insulin spikes and those insulin spikes make the Type II diabetic person ravenous! They would be much better off without artificial sweeteners", that aspartame should be avoided by type II's because it spikes insulin (even though it doesn't), then by the same logic, protein should be avoided too, since it spikes insulin

My doc confirmed that the research shows that artificial sweeteners DO spike insulin levels. Of course, all research is suspect now because it is often "science for hire" these days.

So how did your doc wade through all the literature to determine which was suspect and which was legit?
    Not to mention we need calories for an insulin spike to occur, 0 calories, 0 spike.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Dairy industry groups have asked the Food and Drug Administration to be able to put artificial sweeteners in milk, and not change the label, claiming that it is so consumers can "more easily identify its overall nutritional value".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/26/aspartame-milk_n_2764729.html?utm_hp_ref=business

They are allowed to add sugar or HFCS to milk and still call it milk. For example "chocolate milk" always has HFCS or sugar added to it.

They want to be able to add zero-calorie sweeteners like aspartame, Stevia, etc, instead of HFCS/sugar and still sell the items as "chocolate milk." Right now, doing so is illegal.

I think it would be good to be able to buy "chocolate milk" that has aspartame or stevia instead of HFCS added to it.

Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification! As long as it's labeled (cane sugar, HFCS, stevia, aspartame), then that's fine. As long as the consumer can see what's in the milk and decide based on that. Personally I don't consume aspartame because it gives me headaches and I try to avoid artificial sweeteners, but if someone who is, say, diabetic wants to buy chocolate milk, then it's a good option to have!

Research has shown that artificial sweeteners cause insulin spikes and those insulin spikes make the Type II diabetic person ravenous! They would be much better off without artificial sweeteners. I do not use sugar, simple carbs or artificial sweeteners and I'm still here! In fact, my health has significantly improved.

Protein is essential to the body.....aspartame is most definitely not! Nor are carbohydrates/sugar because the body creates it.

But in relation to this comment, "Research has shown that artificial sweeteners cause insulin spikes and those insulin spikes make the Type II diabetic person ravenous! They would be much better off without artificial sweeteners", that aspartame should be avoided by type II's because it spikes insulin (even though it doesn't), then by the same logic, protein should be avoided too, since it spikes insulin

My doc confirmed that the research shows that artificial sweeteners DO spike insulin levels. Of course, all research is suspect now because it is often "science for hire" these days.

So how did your doc wade through all the literature to determine which was suspect and which was legit?
    Not to mention we need calories for an insulin spike to occur, 0 calories, 0 spike.

An article published in the journal "Hormone and Metabolic Research" in 1987 reported that the artificial sweetener acesulfame-K increases the release of insulin. Until more is known about the long-term effects, I would give them a wide berth.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    So have you guys decided who is right and who is wrong yet? Will there be pie and punch served at the end?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Technically protein will not spike insulin to the same extent that consumption of a carbohydrate/sugar will. I don't think you can group the two together. A diabetic can consume a great deal more protein without a rise in blood sugars in comparison to carbohydrate. Lets remember a diabetic does not respond to insulin.

Depends on the protein and carb in question

Holt et al. An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 66, 1264-1276

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf+html

also

The insulinogenic effect of whey protein is partially mediated by a direct effect of amino acids and GIP on β-cells

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/9/1/48

1743-7075-9-48-3.jpg

Your using whey protein as an example? Of course whey protein (assuming in powdered form) will raise insulin. That's the whold purpose of it being consumed in that form. Compare chicken to white rice and tell me it gives the same response?

How about grilled steak or steamed fish? See the first link I put in the response

And I think you're missing the point, the comment I responded to said diabetics should avoid something since it spikes insulin, I am giving examples of foods that spike insulin, so she can respond and say if they should also be avoided due to the dreaded insulin spike

In your first link, in the conclusion it states that when protein and fat are consumed with the addition of carbohydrates that there is always an increased insulin response. It therefore still confirms that consuming these items without carbohydrate is therefore going to cause a much smaller insulin response.

No I do understand your point but you therefore need to quote research that directly corresponds to whether aspartame increases insulin or not.

I'm guessing you didn't actually read through it :ohwell:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

That is all.

Not just jelly beans...STALE jelly beans. :sick:

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Oh, they don't gots to know about it. It could be our milk.

BWAHHAHAHA love that movie!
  • neanderthin
    Options

An article published in the journal "Hormone and Metabolic Research" in 1987 reported that the artificial sweetener acesulfame-K increases the release of insulin. Until more is known about the long-term effects, I would give them a wide berth.

That's nice. Here's a more recent study in 2005

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16280432
    Functional magnetic resonance imaging of human hypothalamic responses to sweet taste and calories.
    RESULTS:

Glucose ingestion resulted in a prolonged and significant signal decrease in the upper hypothalamus (P < 0.05). Water, aspartame, and maltodextrin had no such effect. Glucose and maltodextrin ingestions resulted in similar increases in blood glucose and insulin concentrations. However, only glucose triggered an early rise in insulin concentrations. Aspartame did not trigger any insulin response.
    CONCLUSIONS:

Our findings suggest that both sweet taste and energy content are required for a hypothalamic response. The combination of sweet taste and energy content could be crucial in triggering adaptive responses to sweetened beverages.
  • minionofevil
    minionofevil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I sure hope they don't. I'm not much of a milk drinker, but I do use it for cereal and cooking and stuff, and I am allergic to aspartame.
  • renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Great, with the antibiotics and growth hormones, why not add more crap to milk? Why not just add chalk and water to fill it out as well
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I sure hope they don't. I'm not much of a milk drinker, but I do use it for cereal and cooking and stuff, and I am allergic to aspartame.

They are not talking about plain milk.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Technically protein will not spike insulin to the same extent that consumption of a carbohydrate/sugar will. I don't think you can group the two together. A diabetic can consume a great deal more protein without a rise in blood sugars in comparison to carbohydrate. Lets remember a diabetic does not respond to insulin.

Depends on the protein and carb in question

Holt et al. An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 66, 1264-1276

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf+html

also

The insulinogenic effect of whey protein is partially mediated by a direct effect of amino acids and GIP on β-cells

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/9/1/48

1743-7075-9-48-3.jpg

Your using whey protein as an example? Of course whey protein (assuming in powdered form) will raise insulin. That's the whold purpose of it being consumed in that form. Compare chicken to white rice and tell me it gives the same response?

How about grilled steak or steamed fish? See the first link I put in the response

And I think you're missing the point, the comment I responded to said diabetics should avoid something since it spikes insulin, I am giving examples of foods that spike insulin, so she can respond and say if they should also be avoided due to the dreaded insulin spike

In your first link, in the conclusion it states that when protein and fat are consumed with the addition of carbohydrates that there is always an increased insulin response. It therefore still confirms that consuming these items without carbohydrate is therefore going to cause a much smaller insulin response.

No I do understand your point but you therefore need to quote research that directly corresponds to whether aspartame increases insulin or not.

I'm guessing you didn't actually read through it :ohwell:

And why would you assume that? I read the whole thing. Did you?
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options
    To quote from that study:

"Collectively, the findings imply that typical Western diets are likely to be significantly more insulinogenic than more traditional diets based on less refined foods.

As observed in previous studies, consumption of protein or fat with carbohydrate in creases insulin secretion compared with the insulinogenic ef fect of these nutrients alone"

Therefore despite protein causing an insulin response (like all foods) it is still recognised that when consumed with a carbohydrate source that the insulin response is increased. A person wishing to reduce blood sugar levels & insulin response will be more successful if they lower their carbohydrate intake. This study in its conclusion also states that further research is required and note that the purpose of this study was to challenge GI which has already been considered to be inferior to GL.

With all due respect I consider this study to be somewhat out of context in relation to whether a diabetic should be consuming aspartame containing products. Would you really advise a diabetic client to continue consuming these products rather than encouraging a protein rich diet?
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options
    Quote from original reference from OP

" The groups also say they would help with programs that aim to improve nutrition in school meals and argue that the proposed amendments would promote "honesty and fair dealing in the marketplace," the FDA wrote.

As long as they are promoting their own products as healthy! Of course they want to be involved in school nutrition- they need to make sure their milk is still being consumed. A finger in all pies!! Never will they step up and declare their own products "flavoured milk" as unhealthy for children. All flavoured milk should be pulled out of schools to promote healthy nutrition!

If you won't consume it then neither should your children
  • neanderthin
    Options
    So have you guys decided who is right and who is wrong yet? Will there be pie and punch served at the end?
    Aspartame has many people by the gonads and gondola's, just look around in this thread, some can't even think straight.......it was bound to happen when the conspiracy for world domination was uncovered over the internet.:happy: Damn that artificial sweetner.