Aspartame in Milk?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    To quote from that study:

"Collectively, the findings imply that typical Western diets are likely to be significantly more insulinogenic than more traditional diets based on less refined foods.

As observed in previous studies, consumption of protein or fat with carbohydrate in creases insulin secretion compared with the insulinogenic ef fect of these nutrients alone"

Therefore despite protein causing an insulin response (like all foods) it is still recognised that when consumed with a carbohydrate source that the insulin response is increased. A person wishing to reduce blood sugar levels & insulin response will be more successful if they lower their carbohydrate intake. This study in its conclusion also states that further research is required and note that the purpose of this study was to challenge GI which has already been considered to be inferior to GL.

With all due respect I consider this study to be somewhat out of context in relation to whether a diabetic should be consuming aspartame containing products. Would you really advise a diabetic client to continue consuming these products rather than encouraging a protein rich diet?

You left out a portion of that quote that goes directly against what you've been claiming

"Although some of the protein-rich foods may normally be eaten in smaller quantities, fish, beef, cheese, and eggs still had larger insulin responses per gram than did many of the foods consist ing predominantly of carbohydrate."
    With all due respect I consider this study to be somewhat out of context in relation to whether a diabetic should be consuming aspartame containing products. Would you really advise a diabetic client to continue consuming these products rather than encouraging a protein rich diet?

Claim: Avoid aspartame because it spikes insulin

Listed other things that spike insulin and much much higher than aspartame and am waiting on the claim maker to say if they should be avoided as well.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

"Collectively, the findings imply that typical Western diets are likely to be significantly more insulinogenic than more traditional diets based on less refined foods.

As observed in previous studies, consumption of protein or fat with carbohydrate in creases insulin secretion compared with the insulinogenic ef fect of these nutrients alone"

Therefore despite protein causing an insulin response (like all foods) it is still recognised that when consumed with a carbohydrate source that the insulin response is increased. A person wishing to reduce blood sugar levels & insulin response will be more successful if they lower their carbohydrate intake. This study in its conclusion also states that further research is required and note that the purpose of this study was to challenge GI which has already been considered to be inferior to GL.

You left out a portion of that quote that goes directly against what you've been claiming

"Although some of the protein-rich foods may normally be eaten in smaller quantities, fish, beef, cheese, and eggs still had larger insulin responses per gram than did many of the foods consist ing predominantly of carbohydrate."

Listed other things that spike insulin and much much higher than aspartame and am waiting on the claim maker to say if they should be avoided as well.
    Confirmation bias is thankless taskmaster.....some feel being right is more important than learning something new. Kinda reminds me of the quote "Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof."
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Relationship Between Aspartame, Methanol and Formaldehyde Explained

http://andevidencelibrary.com/topic.cfm?cat=4089&highlight=aspartame&home=1
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's hard to hear when the tinfoil hat slips over your ears...
  • swissbrit
    Options
    Thats why I avoid Weight Watchers products as there is loads of Aspartame in them and since avoiding it I have had no more migraines and my so called Fibromyalgie has just about disapeared. I have a code checker Ap that lets me scan everything that might be dodgy and lets me know if there are any nastys in it :laugh:
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I'm intolerant to aspartame, it makes me ill. So no, I really don't agree AT ALL with it going in food without it being on the label

Also, I don't get this whole thing about putting *anything* in food without listing it on the ingredients.... for every food or additive that exists, you can probably find someone, somewhere who's allergic or intolerant to it. And people have the right to choose what they eat and don't eat. They can put what they like in processed food as far as I'm concerned, but I at the very least want to be able to read the list of ingredients and make my own choice about whether or not I eat food that contains any particular ingredient.

Unless I'm missing something major, no one said anything about putting aspartame into anything without putting it on the label.

Instead of adding sugar or HFCS to "chocolate milk" they would add aspartame or sucralose or whatever. It would still be on the label.

No, it wouldn't...

"Dairy industry groups have asked the Food and Drug Administration to be able to put artificial sweeteners in milk, and not change the label, claiming that it is so consumers can "more easily identify its overall nutritional value".

The request is to be allowed to use artificial sweeteners in milk products without indicating what they are on the label. Major problem for anyone who avoids artificial sweeteners for whatever reason, like me. As I don't particularly enjoy incapacitating headaches, temporary blindness, loss of sensation in my arm and hand, the shakes...and I'd really rather not develop neurological diseases if I can avoid it, I need to know what's in a product, specifically what sweeteners have been used. A generic 'sweetener' ingredient listing gives me no clue what's actually in there. This proposal takes away my ability to make an informed choice, based on my personal needs.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Confirmation bias is thankless taskmaster.....some feel being right is more important than learning something new. Kinda reminds me of the quote "Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof."

It's not learning something new if the very people who did the study claimed that further investigation needs to be done. I am plenty educated in the matter thank you and do not argue a point "to be right" maybe you should be more open to learning something new? At least ACG argues his point with some respect for other people's opinions rather than making wide sweeping accusations.

Also I will never change my mind about consuming products that contain these ingredients. Dangerous or not they certainly don't rank as healthy. The foods I eat grew or lived, they did not come from a can or carton. My choice, my health.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

No, it wouldn't...

"Dairy industry groups have asked the Food and Drug Administration to be able to put artificial sweeteners in milk, and not change the label, claiming that it is so consumers can "more easily identify its overall nutritional value".

The request is to be allowed to use artificial sweeteners in milk products without indicating what they are on the label. Major problem for anyone who avoids artificial sweeteners for whatever reason, like me. As I don't particularly enjoy incapacitating headaches, temporary blindness, loss of sensation in my arm and hand, the shakes...and I'd really rather not develop neurological diseases if I can avoid it, I need to know what's in a product, specifically what sweeteners have been used. A generic 'sweetener' ingredient listing gives me no clue what's actually in there. This proposal takes away my ability to make an informed choice, based on my personal needs.

That article is poorly written - the actual ingredients would still be listed with the nutrition facts, but there would not be anything on the *front* of the package indicating that you might want to take a closer look at the ingredients. You would have to always read the ingredients list, never assuming that regular meant no artificial sweeteners.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Also I will never change my mind about consuming products that contain these ingredients.

LOL.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Also I will never change my mind about consuming products that contain these ingredients.

LOL.

It's funny when you take it out of context that way. But she didn't say that she will never change her mind about whether they're safe - she said she'll never change her mind about eating them.

Whether they prove to be safe or not, these artificial ingredients are, in her opinion, not necessary and serve no nutritional purpose. Therefore she will avoid them. Which seems like a perfectly reasonable route to me. I consume aspartame and other zero-calorie sweeteners, but I can respect the idea that someone would want to avoid artificial ingredients that serve no nutritive purpose.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

No, it wouldn't...

That article is poorly written - the actual ingredients would still be listed with the nutrition facts, but there would not be anything on the *front* of the package indicating that you might want to take a closer look at the ingredients. You would have to always read the ingredients list, never assuming that regular meant no artificial sweeteners.

Ah - I had understood it differently, from this and other sources ie. that the plan was to simply list 'sweetener' in the ingredients.

As it happens I'm already a compulsive label-reader. That stuff turns up in all sorts of unexpected places!
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

LOL.

It's funny when you take it out of context that way. But she didn't say that she will never change her mind about whether they're safe - she said she'll never change her mind about eating them.

Whether they prove to be safe or not, these artificial ingredients are, in her opinion, not necessary and serve no nutritional purpose. Therefore she will avoid them. Which seems like a perfectly reasonable route to me. I consume aspartame and other zero-calorie sweeteners, but I can respect the idea that someone would want to avoid artificial ingredients that serve no nutritive purpose.

Thank you, as I respect your choice to consume them. :)
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

LOL.

Then why are you constantly spouting off with tinfoil-hat nonsense about their dangers?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

No, it wouldn't...

Ah - I had understood it differently, from this and other sources ie. that the plan was to simply list 'sweetener' in the ingredients.

As it happens I'm already a compulsive label-reader. That stuff turns up in all sorts of unexpected places!

I found the articles so contradictory that I went to the FDA site to read it directly.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

LOL.

Then why are you constantly spouting off with tinfoil-hat nonsense about their dangers?

I don't consider that I have, maybe you should reread my posts :) I don't consider them to be conductive to a healthy diet and no I don't consider it to be safe but not have I "spouted off" about their dangers. I have a right to my opinion on what's good information just as you do too. At least I have respect for that, all I ask is the same back. Do you have anything to say aside from critising other people's discussions?
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Jesus wept.

NOT PLAIN MILK, FLAVOURED MILK DRINKS!

And yes, it will be on the ingredients list - its just about whether or not they can call it 'chocolate milk' if it contains aspartame.
  • LilD1esel
    Options
    I just read this and was appalled. I am extremely sensitive to aspartame. What's next, I have to buy my own cow? Okay, just read something totally different on SNOPES. I'll have to do more research. It certainly gets tiresome sometimes having to do so much research just to protect one's self.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It certainly gets tiresome sometimes having to do so much research just to protect one's self.

I totally agree. If our government watchdogs (at all levels) would actually decide to do their jobs (protecting the people) we wouldn't have to work so hard at protecting our health.
  • renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I understand a lot of people are pointing out that this applies to flavoured milk. But based on the way the food industry works this could include "Healthy Milk Drinks" they would package and sell for children or as a healthy alternative to all those calories in milk. If they can sell something that is 50% water, 45% dairy and 5% crap, if it costs less to produce than milk and has a higher profit margin they will find any way to push it.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options