Heavy Lifting defined--MUST READ

Options

Replies

• darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I started reading expecting some portion of my routine to be trampled... and it did. But in a good way :)

We alternate weeks. Week 1 being 1-3RM for different lifts (flat/incline/decline bench, BB rows, OHP, squat, deadlift, etc)
    Week 2 is 8-10 reps (for endurance)
    Week 3 is 3-6 reps
    Week 4 is 8-10 reps
    Repeat.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I'm with Waldo. I agree with everything in the OP except spllits not being heavy lifting. You can still do the progression mentioned in the OP as well as adding weight every week in a split.

I agree with Waldo too. Thats just my OPINION...........Once past begginner stage and I mean after years of lifting etc.. Splits can also be done for heavy lifting.

Bench and back Rows etc.....with Dips etc... as an example

Its all good as long as there is some eye candy at da gymm!!!!! damn!!!:bigsmile:

Dreya Weber (the girl in most of the P90X videos) ain't got anything on some of the girls I've seen working out at Gold's =P

And yeah as I mentioned above this post was mainly for beginners. I understand that at more advanced levels you start seeing lots of exceptions to the rule regarding splits, but people at that level definitely don't need to reference a post telling people the difference between the DVDs they're doing at home and heavy lifting programs.

So true....now ima go make me an eye candy at the gym thread!!!!:bigsmile:
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Great post and information.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Nice post!

After about 14 months playing with weights I want/need to advance in some fashion. Heavy weights is where I want to go. This certainly provides more info than I already had.

However, my primary focus is on running and martial arts. So my weight training needs to compliment these activities. And, as I am way closer to 50 than 40, I do not want to sacrifice flexibility for strength. I am looking for some version of happy medium!

Thanks for sharing.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I feel like part of this a terminology thing. Like the word Kleenex... To some people, kleenex is just another word for tissue. To others it's a very specific type of tissue... it's a brand of tissue

Some people see the phrase "heavy lifting" as a very general concept where the only specific requirement is high weight and low reps, and even that is open to some slight interpretation. Other see it as a very specific type of lifting focused on 5 sets of 5 reps doing compound lifts working full body 3 days a week.

Is that the crux of this issue... that the OP tried to use it very specifically and most everyone else is trying to use it, to varying degrees, more generally?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Nice post!

After about 14 months playing with weights I want/need to advance in some fashion. Heavy weights is where I want to go. This certainly provides more info than I already had.

However, my primary focus is on running and martial arts. So my weight training needs to compliment these activities. And, as I am way closer to 50 than 40, I do not want to sacrifice flexibility for strength. I am looking for some version of happy medium!

Thanks for sharing.

For something that complements martial arts training, these types of lifting programs definitely don't work. Look into dumbbell-specific training programs. Kettlebells, sandbags, and bodyweight training are also your friend, ESPECIALLY bodyweight training.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I feel like part of this a terminology thing. Like the word Kleenex... To some people, kleenex is just another word for tissue. To others it's a very specific type of tissue... it's a brand of tissue

Some people see the phrase "heavy lifting" as a very general concept where the only specific requirement is high weight and low reps, and even that is open to some slight interpretation. Other see it as a very specific type of lifting focused on 5 sets of 5 reps doing compound lifts working full body 3 days a week.

Is that the crux of this issue... that the OP tried to use it very specifically and most everyone else is trying to use it, to varying degrees, more generally?

The idea behind it was to target people who post questions asking about ChaLEAN Extreme, P90X, and other similar workouts as heavy lifting programs because they are uninformed. Yes as you progress to advanced levels you will find there are exceptions to these guidelines. But at the beginner level this is generally what's known.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    The programs are based on linear progression, which means you push yourself to increase the weight you're using EVERY TIME YOU REPEAT A WORKOUT.
    re-quoting for emphasis
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'm with Waldo. I agree with everything in the OP except spllits not being heavy lifting. You can still do the progression mentioned in the OP as well as adding weight every week in a split.

Tell me, when working in a split, just how much of that is isolation work? No offense, it's just that heavy, as in orthodox heavy lifting/powerlifting based training is 100% compound. When you work in splits, you DO place a focus on isolation training which is a completely different category of training with a different goal.

This is wrong. I also disagree with your original post. All of this is just wrong. First of all, the term "heavy lifting" is a very general term that you are trying to place very specific guidelines with. If people on MFP are trying to say they lift like powerlifters, I'm sure they would say, "I lift like a powerlifter." When a person says, "I lift heavy weights," of course that weight is going to be what's heavy for them for the number of reps and sets they're trying to accomplish. Heavy lifting is not confined to specific powerlifting compound moves or weight range, it's a general term. Your post is bogus, imo.

I'm also not even sure why you brought the DVD's into it. I've never once seen an MFPer say they lift heavy and do a DVD program. All the people on MFP I see that say they lift heavy attend a gym. DVD programs aren't designed for you to lift heavy weights, they're designed for higher reps with a lower weight and they're typically not for strength gains.

This.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

I've seen you post before and you seem to have a lot of knowledge. If you don't mine me asking, in your opinion, If my goal is to look good in a swimsuit (and assuming a good diet) is something like Stronglifts more effective than a circuit-based program like ChaLean Extreme or Rushfit?

I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm genuinely curious.

IMO if you just want a swimsuit body you still get there quicker with a focused heavy lifting program.

I want a bikini body, and my chest to fill my top and booty to fill my bottoms would squats/bench be good for me?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Is it me or is this set as a false dilemma where no one is calling DVD workouts heavy lifting? I'm going to go against the grain and suggest you stop dissing the DVDs - here is an alternate point of view.

First off, I basically agree that heavy lifting is not some sort of repackaged Gene Simmons workout of the 80s with a Bisch that yells at you (can you tell I gave 30DS a spin, hmmm? Hate that woman) - however, unless you have done it and evaluated the effectiveness yourself you can't really tell if these are reasonable or waste-of-time exercises.

I find them to be reasonable to good as either start programs or intense, short duration programs that can help build confidence and motivation - short and intense workouts that can be done at home and that provide the essential of a novice plan during a few months of weight loss - sufficient body weight exercise on a daily basis that are likely to a) stimulate long bone loading for osteoblasts/clast activation (osteoporosis) b) initial effort to failure equivalent of body weight exercises to protect muscle mass during weight loss. They aren't heavy lifting - no one is calling them that, but if they are enjoyable, and GETTING DONE then they are great. I consider them as a reasonable choice for those that do not want to lift (yet or ever).

For many, they also provide a reasonable way of creating a perfect calorie deficit (200-300 cals a day? Why not!) especially in situations where further reducing calories consumed creates nutrient deficit risks.

And I'm willing to consider that they provide a good cardiovascular workout and possibly a metabolic impact, maybe.

If It Fits Your Workout (IIFYW)!

But, yeah, for me, pick up things and put them down. And variety in everything.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with this but DavePul pretty much summed up the reasons why.

I do think it's "mostly" correct, I would just widen the definition. I also think that if your post gets people under a barbell and away from a DVD it's going to do a lot more good than harm for most people, so for that I agree -- I just think this is a bit narrow.

Yeah--I also think a range of 5-9 RM or 4-8 is plenty heavy for most people--and more realistic And I recommend that beginners take a while to even work up to that. But the intentions are good.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Very informative! Good read, thanks!
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Whatever to the OP. This is your little definition.
  • porvenir
    porvenir Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I also think that if your post gets people under a barbell and away from a DVD it's going to do a lot more good than harm for most people, so for that I agree -- I just think this is a bit narrow.

This makes me sad because I live in the middle of nowhere without access to a gym or a barbell and plates. I'm limited to what I can do with powerblocks that adjust to 70 pounds each, a bench, and my own body weight. Hopefully, this will be enough to make some progress (and strength gains).
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Uh, uh, nevermind.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I also think that if your post gets people under a barbell and away from a DVD it's going to do a lot more good than harm for most people, so for that I agree -- I just think this is a bit narrow.

This makes me sad because I live in the middle of nowhere without access to a gym or a barbell and plates. I'm limited to what I can do with powerblocks that adjust to 70 pounds each, a bench, and my own body weight. Hopefully, this will be enough to make some progress (and strength gains).

You have plenty of options. Trust me. You can do wonders with what you have =)
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Uh, uh, nevermind.

Loving the pic, man. That song is a must for any workout playlist.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    No comment on the definition of heavy lifting from me....my beef is just that these forums are so OMG HEAVY LIFtING OR YOU ARE GONNA DROP DEAD AT 700 LBS to the point where many very fit, healthy lifters honestly give the impression to very overweight or obese people that cardio is not worth their time. That it is counterproductive, even. Maybe these folks don't MEAN for their lifting- promoting comments to do this but I see it allllll the time. It just seems....I don't know, irresponsible or something to dismiss cardio HEALTH in this way to people who desperately need to improve theirs. A stronger body is a great thing. But so is a stronger heart. To intelligent, informed lifters like the OP, just consider your comments before you imply cardio is worthless. These DVDs you speak of combine cardio and strength, which I think is a wonderful thing for people who need to get healthier.

In a thread I was in the other day (about body image) a very pro- heavy lifting guy made the blanket statement that "marathoners look disgusting" before advising the upset OP to ditch all her weightless efforts for heavy lifting. Does everyone say things this obviously dumb? Of course not. Will lifting maybe make that OP feel better? Sure! It totally might. But does it make sense to BASH CARdIOVASCULAR EXERCISE and call very fit people "disgusting"?!?!? No.

Heavy lifters, you advice is very useful, but it is not the end all be all to health. Just consider that please.