Heavy Lifting defined--MUST READ

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    No comment on the definition of heavy lifting from me....my beef is just that these forums are so OMG HEAVY LIFtING OR YOU ARE GONNA DROP DEAD AT 700 LBS to the point where many very fit, healthy lifters honestly give the impression to very overweight or obese people that cardio is not worth their time. That it is counterproductive, even. Maybe these folks don't MEAN for their lifting- promoting comments to do this but I see it allllll the time. It just seems....I don't know, irresponsible or something to dismiss cardio HEALTH in this way to people who desperately need to improve theirs. A stronger body is a great thing. But so is a stronger heart. To intelligent, informed lifters like the OP, just consider your comments before you imply cardio is worthless. These DVDs you speak of combine cardio and strength, which I think is a wonderful thing for people who need to get healthier.

In a thread I was in the other day (about body image) a very pro- heavy lifting guy made the blanket statement that "marathoners look disgusting" before advising the upset OP to ditch all her weightless efforts for heavy lifting. Does everyone say things this obviously dumb? Of course not. Will lifting maybe make that OP feel better? Sure! It totally might. But does it make sense to BASH CARdIOVASCULAR EXERCISE and call very fit people "disgusting"?!?!? No.

Heavy lifters, you advice is very useful, but it is not the end all be all to health. Just consider that please.

Totally agree. I actually have veered away from it myself because it's simply not safe for someone with the kind of balance and motor problems I have beyond a certain level of progression. I now do totally different types of workouts and have been getting wonderful results in both functional and aesthetic improvements. I would never tell someone heavy lifting is the ONLY way needed to do it.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    this made my top 5 fave mfp threads ever
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Nothing to contribute here. I just hate the term "lifting heavy." I just lift weights. That is all.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    This post made me feel like a little Bish, I need to step my game up
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Nothing to contribute here. I just hate the term "lifting heavy." I just lift weights. That is all.

Believe it or not I've transitioned away from traditional weights in favor of sandbags that go up to 160 lbs =)
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'm still old school. You wanna know what heavy lifting routines work. Go work out with power lifters. Just sayin...

Hole in the wall gym, chalk every where, straps, belts, wraps and of course a lot of bar bending steel and iron.
    Giant fan in the wall, brick walls even seemed to sweat, loud music blaring not ipad ear phone crap.

If the bar ain't bending you just pretending, lol. C'mon laugh thats funny.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I'm still old school. You wanna know what heavy lifting routines work. Go work out with power lifters. Just sayin...

Hole in the wall gym, chalk every where, straps, belts, wraps and of course a lot of bar bending steel and iron.
    Giant fan in the wall, brick walls even seemed to sweat, loud music blaring not ipad ear phone crap.

If the bar ain't bending you just pretending, lol. C'mon laugh thats funny.

Preach on!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I also think that if your post gets people under a barbell and away from a DVD it's going to do a lot more good than harm for most people, so for that I agree -- I just think this is a bit narrow.

This makes me sad because I live in the middle of nowhere without access to a gym or a barbell and plates. I'm limited to what I can do with powerblocks that adjust to 70 pounds each, a bench, and my own body weight. Hopefully, this will be enough to make some progress (and strength gains).

That's more than enough to get very very far. You can also make progress with DvD's and pink dumbbells, just not to the extent or as efficiently, depending on your goals of course.

My point in the above quote was to say that even though I don't agree with the OP, I agree with his premise.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Believe it or not I've transitioned away from traditional weights in favor of sandbags that go up to 160 lbs =)

ORLY??

we'll have to discuss this further in some other time and place. i've had an Ultimate Sandbag in my Amazon cart for so long it just had a birthday this past month. It's not going to replace my heavy (cough cough) lifting, but I think it would serve great purpose in replacing my one of my off day spartacus/metabolic or skipping rope sessions.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    This makes me sad because I live in the middle of nowhere without access to a gym or a barbell and plates. I'm limited to what I can do with powerblocks that adjust to 70 pounds each, a bench, and my own body weight. Hopefully, this will be enough to make some progress (and strength gains).

I do bodyweight exercises pretty exclusively. And I don't call it "heavy lifting," thank you very much.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of painting my 45's pink so it wouldn't look as heavy.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I also think that if your post gets people under a barbell and away from a DVD it's going to do a lot more good than harm for most people, so for that I agree -- I just think this is a bit narrow.

Cosigning what CP and SS have already said, if you've got a bench and 70 lb adjustable dumbbells, you're don't need no stinkin gym. Hopefully the bench is adjustable, and hopefully you've got something to do some chin ups on. If you've got the space and extra cash to get a used power rack, you've got pretty much all I need a gym for.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I should make a MFP group! we can all head over to the junkyard and start deadlifting Old transmissions and junk! Get it...........deadliftin(dead car parts)..bwahahahahahah :bigsmile:
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    So based on this definition, does this mean that my full body routine 3X/week involving compound movements, such as squats, deadlifts, bench press, and bent over rows, in addition to some isolated work such as biceps curls, skullcrushers, DB shoulder presses, lunges, etc., all with no more than 8 reps and 3 sets and lifting to the point of failure with strength gains every few weeks isn't considered heavy lifting?

Truly not being snarky, just trying to understand the technical definition. And if the above isn't heavy lifting, what in the world is it?
  • porvenir
    porvenir Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Cosigning what CP and SS have already said, if you've got a bench and 70 lb adjustable dumbbells, you're don't need no stinkin gym. Hopefully the bench is adjustable, and hopefully you've got something to do some chin ups on. If you've got the space and extra cash to get a used power rack, you've got pretty much all I need a gym for.

Many thanks CP, SS and DP! I'm glad that although I may not be "lifting heavy" by some definitions with the equipment that I have, I can still make progress. And yep, my bench is adjustable and my partner is constructing something that I can use for chin ups/pull ups. I think he really gets a kick out of the idea of me actually being able to complete a pull up one day. ;-)
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    So based on this definition, does this mean that my full body routine 3X/week involving compound movements, such as squats, deadlifts, bench press, and bent over rows, in addition to some isolated work such as biceps curls, skullcrushers, DB shoulder presses, lunges, etc., all with no more than 8 reps and 3 sets and lifting to the point of failure with strength gains every few weeks isn't considered heavy lifting?

Truly not being snarky, just trying to understand the technical definition. And if the above isn't heavy lifting, what in the world is it?

That's heavy lifting definitely. Just bear in mind that the isolation lifts are "accessories" to the compounds, which are where you're really getting your strength gains from. =)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP on several points minus the splits. Heavy to me is if you can lift the weight more than 12 times in a row with good form, it is too light. You also have to keep increasing the weight or reps over time to see results.

Ladies, if you want to see real changes in your body, please free your mind and look into lifting heavy. The changes that lifting did to me are amazing (body and mind actually). Nothing wrong with a little cardio, but IMO, if you want to look good naked..... pick up heavy stuff!
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I agree with OP on several points minus the splits. Heavy to me is if you can lift the weight more than 12 times in a row with good form, it is too light. You also have to keep increasing the weight or reps over time to see results.

Ladies, if you want to see real changes in your body, please free your mind and look into lifting heavy. The changes that lifting did to me are amazing (body and mind actually). Nothing wrong with a little cardio, but IMO, if you want to look good naked..... pick up heavy stuff!

I will not ever say that cardio has no place in a workout regimen. The health benefits that come from it are irreplaceable. It's just not necessary for body recomposition is all. =) Personally I'm a fan of jumping rope for cardio. Plus when you have dogs that are of a herding breed, cardio just kind of...happens on its own =) No need to plan it or work it into your regimen.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Yes yes great post. Im on a 5x5 linear type programme and it is awesome.

This type of workout is right up my alley. Definitely pushes me to my limits. 4th week in and im lifting more weight than I ever have and feeling much better for it than doing 2 millions sets of mindless reps....
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all of this but I want to provide my opinion - I was always under the impression that "heavy lifting" isn't only for strength gains and to build muscle, but also to maximize a workout by raising the heartrate to levels not reached by just lifting light weights for a bunch of reps.

I don't eat enough (by choice) to support muscle gain, it so happens I'm happy where I am, but I am always challenging myself by lifting weights that make me uncomfortable enough to raise my heartrate. I do change up my routine every 6-8 weeks as well. So far I've kept my weight the same and lowered my body fat to a good 'athletic range' of 17-18%. I also hope to maintain muscle and keep my bones and body strong to avoid some of the onset advanced age issues that can arise in the future. To be exact, I'm lifting heavy to keep in nice shape and in good health.

So I'm not sure why the only reason to lift heavy would be to promote strength gains. I can't imagine that's the case, even if that's what some study shows.