Why do women do it to each other?

Options

Replies

• samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    That is the saddest thing I have read... :(

I hope that girl learns her lesson in treating everyone with love! Being a woman is tough; being a teen girl is soooooooooooo much worse. Poor thing
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    this is why I didn't have female friends growing up. it is nicer now that we are adults and it is easier to choose the friends I REALLY want to be with, not just a choice from a small sampling of 30 classmates.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's about them being women. Men can be very mean to each other. Women can be mean to men. Men can be mean to women. Any way you cut it, a lot of people are *kitten*.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I hate when people generalize women as mean like some have in this thread. I am a woman and I'm not mean, petty, or nasty. Growing up, I was bullied by boys.

but they were just flirting... isn't that what mom always told us?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like the bigger girl picked the wrong work out partner.

Maybe she hired the other girl to be a mean trainer? :huh: Some people do better that way.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I still have a friend like this. She lost over 30 lbs eating like a bird and while in a size 2, she has no musclar definition and is definitely skinny fat. Not the way I choose to have my body. She still eats like **** and talks about how she isnt even hungry anymore, so she only eats like, once a day. Constantly tells me that I'm eating too much to lose weight (And I'm shooting for 1600 - 1800 calories net!)

Same friend who thinks that lifting weights will cause me to get bulky, and she doesnt want get bulky. And "too bad you just arent built to be a size 2". This chick is 5'5" and 110 lbs. Thanks, but no thanks, I'm shooting for 140-150 and looking good naked for my husband.

This made my day!!! I hope you reach your goal ;D !!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Women are not mean just because you saw one teenage girl being mean. :noway:

P.s. I thought this thread was going to be about something more exciting. :blushing:
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Mean people have an innate ability to find those with low self-esteem (or fear of confrontation). The bigger girl didn't have the strength to tell the mean girl to STFU or leave, and the mean girl knew it.

I probably would have said something - I've been kind of hangry lately. lol It does sound like one of those "What Would You Do" scenarios, don't you think?
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    i made it through the first handful of comments before I decided this thread is worthless misogynist crap.

Have a nice day.
    I can't say that I completely agree with you on this one, as it's been pretty well discussed that there's a fair bit more backbiting and ****ty, manipulative behavior that goes on among girls.

It's certainly nothing that's inherent to women in comparison to men, imo, but has a hell of a lot more to do with culture and the way that women are told to value themselves and others. But to completely handwave anyone who points it out as being misogynist doesn't really help anything either. This sort of thing exists and has been researched. I highly recommend checking out "Queen Bees and Wannabes" by Rosalind Wiseman, for starters. :(

Not that guys aren't capable of being complete jerks to each other, of course, but guys are much more likely to hurt each other (especially at that age) out of thoughtlessness and stupidity rather than the sort of targeted torpedoing of someone's insecurities, especially among friends. It's unfortunate, but pretending it's not there certainly won't help anyone.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Makes me sad to think of why the bigger girl continues to be friends with the mean girl.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    ^^^Those books are about teenagers, not women.

Ridiculous. There are nice women and mean women and mean men and nice men.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    wow . i would have not been able to keep my mouth shut what a horrible girl shame on her, I always try to encourage new people at the gym, or show them how to use proper form ect.. If they ask for advice I am happy to help.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Sorry to generalize... but women are just mean, evil, manipulative, judgmental ... b****es. I know not ALL of us women are, but most are in some form. It seems to get better with age... for some. It's sad really, I don't know why we do these things to each other. Woman are always meaner to other women.

Probably why I don't really have any female friends. Because I am a b****.

this!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i made it through the first handful of comments before I decided this thread is worthless misogynist crap.

Have a nice day.
    I can't say that I completely agree with you on this one, as it's been pretty well discussed that there's a fair bit more backbiting and ****ty, manipulative behavior that goes on among girls.

It's certainly nothing that's inherent to women in comparison to men, imo, but has a hell of a lot more to do with culture and the way that women are told to value themselves and others. But to completely handwave anyone who points it out as being misogynist doesn't really help anything either. This sort of thing exists and has been researched. I highly recommend checking out "Queen Bees and Wannabes" by Rosalind Wiseman, for starters. :(

Not that guys aren't capable of being complete jerks to each other, of course, but guys are much more likely to hurt each other (especially at that age) out of thoughtlessness and stupidity rather than the sort of targeted torpedoing of someone's insecurities, especially among friends. It's unfortunate, but pretending it's not there certainly won't help anyone.

There's also been books published about how men are naturally inclined to rape. I invite you to read "A natural history or rape." It is also sexist bull**** that I refuse to give any validity to.

Have a nice day.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I don't know, maybe it's because I'm bisexual, but I like women and men, and enjoy their company equally and respect them equally (even when I was a teenager because I enjoyed men and women the same ways). I am not in competition with other women. I value my female friendships. I like men also. There have been times in my life when I was hurt by women and by men. But, the harm I experienced from men (sexual assault) was lifelong trauma. But, I love men and do not judge other men by the few that harmed me. This is why generalizing makes no sense. I can't imagine going through life generalizing like that. But, whatever floats your boat, I guess.
  • AlanTuring
    Options

So it stops the second that they hit their 20th birthday, and there aren't constant discussions about women in higher level positions attacking each other due to a feeling of scarcity of positions for women in the upper echelons, for instance?

Or another good example - completely slam the **** out of a woman that they perceive as being 'slutty?'

http://www.uottawa.ca/media/media-release-2477.html

The differences are mostly cultural and are something that we as a society can fix, but it's going to take a whole lot more strides by feminism to help us get to the level of equality where women don't feel the need to act more viciously toward each other than men do toward each other.

I think that there are a lot of times that people misinterpret this fact into thinking women are just inherently meaner, rather than being forced into it by terrible cultural status, which is really awful of course. And it's just a generalization, which doesn't actually speak to any specific individual woman, who may act very different. But it's no more sexist than it is to say that women are more likely to be stay-at-home parents. :(
    There's also been books published about how men are naturally inclined to rape. I invite you to read "A natural history or rape." It is also sexist bull**** that I refuse to give any validity to.

Have a nice day.
    Oh! Well, if there has been silly sexist research in the past, then all research is invalid and we can stop listening to it. You've definitely convinced me on this one. :(
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Are you asking this about women or teenagers?

Frighteningly often, there is no difference.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

So it stops the second that they hit their 20th birthday, and there aren't constant discussions about women in higher level positions attacking each other due to a feeling of scarcity of positions for women in the upper echelons, for instance?

Or another good example - completely slam the **** out of a woman that they perceive as being 'slutty?'

http://www.uottawa.ca/media/media-release-2477.html

The differences are mostly cultural and are something that we as a society can fix, but it's going to take a whole lot more strides by feminism to help us get to the level of equality where women don't feel the need to act more viciously toward each other than men do toward each other.

I think that there are a lot of times that people misinterpret this fact into thinking women are just inherently meaner, rather than being forced into it by terrible cultural status, which is really awful of course. And it's just a generalization, which doesn't actually speak to any specific individual woman, who may act very different. But it's no more sexist than it is to say that women are more likely to be stay-at-home parents. :(

Have a nice day.
    Oh! Well, if there has been silly sexist research in the past, then all research is invalid and we can stop listening to it. You've definitely convinced me on this one. :(

I've never experienced the things that were written in those silly, non-scientific books about teenage girls.

I recommend the book, "The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature" by Steven Pinker.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It's more pathetic the overweight friend followed skinny bi+ch out of there. This is why you teach your kids to be individuals and not follow the crowd. I know its easier said than done. Sad story.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    None of my female friends act like that. I don't act like that. And we wouldn't tolerate it from male or female friends. Why does anyone choose to be mean? Because they can, and because others allow it.

I agree. I would never allow anyone to treat me this way, nor would it occur to me to treat someone else like that. I have close, genuine friendships with several women. I also work in an office that's primarily women and we all get along great. I think some of you need to hang out with a better class of people.