My stupid local Planet Fitness.....

Options

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    So, this is a temporary thing and you're upset bc your gym is making improvements to it's facility???

Gotcha. Gotta love first world problems.

Never said I was upset, sweetcheeks.

I was just making a discussion post and was hoping it didn't die an immediate death.

Gotta love people who jump to conclusions ;-)

use of words such as "stupid" and "ridiculous" indicate irritation in some form. I don't believe I would be the only one to jump to this conclusion given your choice of words, sugarlips.

Xoxo
  • vjohn04
    Options
    use of words such as "stupid" and "ridiculous" indicate irritation in some form. I don't believe I would be the only one to jump to this conclusion given your choice of words, sugarlips.

I say stupid, retarded, obnoxious, ridiculous, etc. all of the time. I can haz anger issuez? :sad:

Exactly! :-)
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It is interesting how many people seem to find there to be some sort of importance on where you go to work out. If you need certain things then go to a different gym... but to call people "amateurs" and "gym phobic" because they choose PF is unnecessary and a blanket judgment that is not likely true. I guess it just comes down to inability to understand the differences between people and that our needs and priorities are different.

Anyways OP. I hope that they can replace the floor quickly and it will only be an inconvenience for a day or two. It looks dangerous and the possibility of someone getting hurt should be something management should have found a solution for.
  • vjohn04
    Options
    It is interesting how many people seem to find there to be some sort of importance on where you go to work out. If you need certain things then go to a different gym... but to call people "amateurs" and "gym phobic" because they choose PF is unnecessary and a blanket judgment that is not likely true. I guess it just comes down to inability to understand the differences between people and that our needs and priorities are different.

Anyways OP. I hope that they can replace the floor quickly and it will only be an inconvenience for a day or two. It looks dangerous and the possibility of someone getting hurt should be something management should have found a solution for.

Thanks! I hope they do too. I have not been able to complete half of my workouts in the last two days and I'm headed to Denver so hopefully it will be all finished by Friday for my next visit! I missed my rdls and bench so far :-( I'll miss tomorrows shoulder and back because of work travel so I'll make it up this weekend if it all works out...
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    Not sure why everyone is hating on PF so much... It's the only gym I've ever belonged to and I love it. I don't have to pay $50 a month for things I won't use, like free childcare. I've been going there 4-5 days per week, can always get on a machine right away and never have had to wait to use any of the free weights. "Planet Fatness" has helped me lose 18 pounds so far, thank you very much.

I agree with this completely. Mine is open 24/7 (though I haven't tried going at 2am yet), the trainers are certified, there are 5 squat racks, a good number of free weights going from small (2lbs) to huge (way too heavy for me right now), oodles of cardio, a circuit, and the weight machines. Now, it's a bit too busy at 6pm for my taste, but at 5am I do pretty much do what I want when I want in the order I want, due to the duplication of everything.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Thanks! I hope they do too. I have not been able to complete half of my workouts in the last two days and I'm headed to Denver so hopefully it will be all finished by Friday for my next visit! I missed my rdls and bench so far :-( I'll miss tomorrows shoulder and back because of work travel so I'll make it up this weekend if it all works out...

Did they give you an ETA as to when it would be done?
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    Not sure why everyone is hating on PF so much... It's the only gym I've ever belonged to and I love it. I don't have to pay $50 a month for things I won't use, like free childcare. I've been going there 4-5 days per week, can always get on a machine right away and never have had to wait to use any of the free weights. "Planet Fatness" has helped me lose 18 pounds so far, thank you very much.

I agree with this completely. Mine is open 24/7 (though I haven't tried going at 2am yet), the trainers are certified, there are 5 squat racks, a good number of free weights going from small (2lbs) to huge (way too heavy for me right now), oodles of cardio, a circuit, and the weight machines. Now, it's a bit too busy at 6pm for my taste, but at 5am I do pretty much do what I want when I want in the order I want, due to the duplication of everything.

Because if you can't dead lift then it's not a real gym. And apparently they shove the pizza and bagels down your throat and toss tootsie rolls at you while you're running on the treadmill.

For the record I also go to PF and I dead lift, squat, lift heavy, exhale loudly, make faces when I'm lifting and groan. There are also very fit, very buff, big, body-builder-looking guys who go there as well and they seem to have no problem with the facility.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Because if you can't dead lift then it's not a real gym. And apparently they shove the pizza and bagels down your throat and toss tootsie rolls at you while you're running on the treadmill.

For the record I also go to PF and I dead lift, squat, lift heavy, exhale loudly, make faces when I'm lifting and groan. There are also very fit, very buff, big, body-builder-looking guys who go there as well and they seem to have no problem with the facility.

You deadlift at PF?
  • JustJennie1
    Options

You deadlift at PF?

Yup. As do a lot of people that go there.

Honestly I think the rules depend on who owns the gym.
  • jonnythan
    Options

You deadlift at PF?

That's really interesting. If any of our local PFs had a squat rack and deadlift platform, I'd sign up. I've never heard of a PF with those things.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

It does, which is what my complaint earlier was about. If you've found one that doesn't have lift restrictions, possesses squat and power racks, and doesn't care about every grunt and fart people make, you struck gold for the low price they charge.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

You deadlift at PF?

That's really interesting. If any of our local PFs had a squat rack and deadlift platform, I'd sign up. I've never heard of a PF with those things.

I never said it had those things. I've never used nor been to a gym that had a dead lift platform.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    ...And all the PF haters come out of the woodwork LOL

This is my second PF location, I actually hadn't joined a gym since moving back to MI until it came in. Yes, they serve pizza on the first Monday of every month (I think that's what it is). I saw it there one time, saw a few people enjoying a slice...walked by, enjoyed my workout and went home. It's pizza, guys, not some diet-crushing buffet spread with people holding knives to your throat demanding you eat it. I enjoy pizza probably about once a week or so, because I like it. I happened to step on the scale this morning (although my weigh-ins are Tuesday) and I'm now down 30 pounds in 2 months. That PF pizza SURE is killing my attempts to get healthy! :huh:

To the OP, kudos to you for even ATTEMPTING a workout with the machines like that! Seems like they were trying to keep the gym open for those that'd want to use the machines they hadn't moved (and those who can get into tight spaces haha) while they worked on the floor. I wouldn't have even tried to get in there so I give you mad props.

Our PF has benches and weights too, but the one in NY that I went to didn't that I recall. I also wasn't looking because at that time I was strictly doing cardio. I'm adding weight training to my routine here soon now that I'm feeling a little more confident in myself and think I can actually do it without making an *kitten* of myself. :laugh:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    The more I read the more I become convinced that Planet Fitness does not want people to get in shape.

...get out of my head.

A friend from my gym went for a tour last week of a PF that recently opened in our town.... Before they even gave him a tour they told him that "this gym wasn't going to suit his needs"... The "Judgement Free Zone" that doesn't allow people with any sort of muscle definition whatsoever. :noway:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I never said it had those things. I've never used nor been to a gym that had a dead lift platform.

Platforms are awesome for deficit pulls (pulling from a level that's lower than what it would be on the floor), but it's nothing that you can't do with some blocks, assuming the gym has those.
  • jonnythan
    Options

You deadlift at PF?

So what do you do? Take the oly bar from a squat rack and just do deadlifts on an empty spot of the floor? And no one minds?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Platforms are awesome for deficit pulls (pulling from a level that's lower than what it would be on the floor), but it's nothing that you can't do with some blocks, assuming the gym has those.

By platform I mean a space set aside for deadlifts. These spaces usually have a small rack for the bar and some weights nearby.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    So what do you do? Take the oly bar from a squat rack and just do deadlifts on an empty spot of the floor? And no one minds?

That's what I do...except I'd never steal one from the squat rack. Those are important. I steal mine from the benches.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Mine has 4 Smith machines, but no deadlift platform or squat rack. They have 2 full sets of free weights - 5-100+, plus a rack of smaller handweights and barbells. Also, a leg press machine and 3 cable machines, plus a circuit training area and another dedicated ab area, plus a whole wall (20'+) for the free weights - all the "machines" are in the center or up front in front of the cardo (bikes & stepers).

There are heavy lifters who come, grunters and more. It's just very full due to the location thus limited space or benches for free weights.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I think the PF hate really comes from the "image" of fitness that they sell. You walk in and the overwhelming impression is cardio. They have tons of cardio classes. They feed you pizza, bagels, and candy. Depending on location they make it difficult to impossible to do freeweight exercises. The marketing actively ridicules people who lift weights and are strong.

The "image" is that fitness is all about spending a lot of time doing cardio, with maybe some lever-machine strength training here and there. The "image" is that diet doesn't matter that much. The "image" is that it's good to reward yourself with unhealthy food.

I think PF is kind of the poster boy for a lot of what is wrong with the fitness industry, and it caters specifically to people who are not very fit and who are not very knowledgeable bout fitness. Instead of actually teaching them about genuine fitness, it just panders to their ignorance.

I'd believe that the image is that it's okay to treat yourself to a slice or two of pizza once a month, but maybe that's just me.

The marketing that I've seen ridcules the people that show off by making a ton of noise and insult others, but it's possible I haven't seen what you have.

And I don't think there's a single cardio class at our PF, they're all weight training related. I'd love a good cardio class!