? to women burning 700+ calories a workout

Options
1234568»

Replies

• lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    When I run for about an hour on the treadmill, I burn close to 650 calories.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    saraht131 wrote: »
    I burned more than 700 calories doing 40 minutes of strength training followed by 30 minutes of dance workout dvd cardio.

I would deeply question that 40 min of strength training got you anywhere near that.

and 30 min of dance could get you maybe 400- I would be very cautious of overestimating your calorie burns.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    That was back in 2012 lol
  • tessaleonie
    tessaleonie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My 10k run yesterday put me at 740.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    That was back in 2012 lol

doesn't mean my words are invalid- it's a common problem we see here- folks over estimating their calorie burns regularly then eating back way to much food and wondering they they aren't losing weight.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Well, yesterday I cycled 60 miles and I burned 4200 calories.

The trick, for me, is stamina. I will never be fast at anything, but I can jog, swim, cycle for a looooonng time before I get tired and I know that if I go over an hour, I'll probably burn 1000+ calories

I have a HRM to make sure I assess my calorie burns accurately. I always wear it for jogging and I sometimes wear it for cycling. I also have algorhythms based on my weight, heart rate, duration of exercise that I check against my HRM. Mfp tends to underestimate against my HRM so I'm happy to enter the mfp calories and have a few calories in the bank.
  • NetflixAndChocolate
    Options
    I go on the bike for 30 mins crosstrainer for30 and run til i hit 750. I weigh 113kg
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I am quite small and am capable of doing 700+ calorie "workouts"-- but what that means for me is 3+ hours of hiking or vigorous gardening. In 6 or 7 hours of hiking I think I burn around 1600 calories, which is my daily maintenance intake when I'm maintaining! That is rare though, because I don't hike super often. 300-400 calorie burns are a lot more common for me-- from a couple hours gardening, an hour or two on my bike, or a long run.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I weigh 115. According to my heart rate monitor, I burn 600-650 teaching spin class and sometimes 700+ teaching step aerobics. I mention "teaching" vs. taking because I burn more when I teach a class than when I take the same class. Yes, I push hard, but I think the heart rate monitor calculations may be high. The reason I think this is because I don't eat all the calories I supposedly burn, and I maintain my weight. If I was really burning all those calories I would lose. So in some cases like mine, those high calorie burns you see may be inaccurate.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I weigh about 143 lbs, on average, and I burn about 600 calories for a 1 hour run (about 9 or 10 km). Running is, hands down, the best calorie burn/unit time that I have found thus far.
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    1 hour of running is like 700+ calories for me according to my Polar hrm. Not that I run that long usually anyway.

Insanity burns around 1000 calories/session but it's super hard and for me is hard to do it every day so I don't follow the program, I just do it occasionally.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm 43 yrs and 5"3 max heartrate 183. In a spin interval class 55 mins with lots of sweat dripping down the cheek, I can burn around 500-550.

Add on extra burn. I often add 20-30 mins of low intensity so I get a good winding down and getting rid of all lactate acid which gives me ca 200-250 kcal for "free". Feels very easy after working like a dog first hour.

Total burn about 700-800 kcal within 80-90 mins:)

I notice that the taller or heavier men can burn above 1000 kcal in 55 mins, but they have to work for it.