If its really about calories then explain to me why.....

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Why ask the question if you always dismiss people's responses?

because no one is answering the question -- why do low carbers lose so fast? not is it a good plan or is it sustainable.

Precisely: MaraDiaz did the best job in my view.

People on a ketogenic diet are able to consistently achieve much larger calorie deficits because they are not subject to hypoglycemia. I, for one, could go two days without eating if I wanted and exercise endlessly without even thinking about food because my brain is fed endogenously. Ketogenic dieters can easily do protein sparing modified fasts, intermittent fasting, and all sorts of things that conventional dieters cannot accomplish.
    for Body composition ketogenic diets may work...

They work for anyone who is disciplined enough to educate themselves and properly construct the diet. I know several people who have been following the diet for more than a decade, including an everyday person, biochemist, and professional athlete.

I'm curious as to who this professional athlete is

Of course you're curious. It disturbs your flawed paradigm.
  • coachkaren71
    Options
    Now I am not a nutritionist, but my understanding is that carbs are used for energy and if you don't burn them off as energy, they get stored as fat. So if you eat few carbs, your body will burn off its fat supply (rather than it's sugar supply) as energy more quickly (ketosis). To lose weight that way, it's recommended you stay around 50 to 100g per day of carbs. If you go below 50g per day you most likely will end up in ketosis. I think the biggest concern with this type of diet is that it is usually high in protein, which can put a strain on your kidneys in the long term and raise your cholesterol. :ohwell:
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Now I am not a nutritionist, but my understanding is that carbs are used for energy and if you don't burn them off as energy, they get stored as fat. So if you eat few carbs, your body will burn off its fat supply (rather than it's sugar supply) as energy more quickly (ketosis). To lose weight that way, it's recommended you stay around 50 to 100g per day of carbs. If you go below 50g per day you most likely will end up in ketosis. I think the biggest concern with this type of diet is that it is usually high in protein, which can put a strain on your kidneys in the long term and raise your cholesterol. :ohwell:

A ketogenic diet is high in dietary fat, moderate protein, and low carbohydrates: typically 65%, 25%, 5%. It can't be too high in protein or carbs or the body won't produce enough of the ketone body beta-hydroxybutyrate to fuel the brain.
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    carbs are easier to convert into energy therefore are used up first before fat stores are raided !
  • areilly78
    areilly78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I haven't read anyone else's comments, but I have lost 67 lbs in the past 7 months eating a 1200 calories diet. I exercised regularly in the beginning then kind of faded out for a few months. I am now back exercising again. So it most definitely can be done based on calories. I know many others who have had similar success.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Why is it that sooo many people lose weight so much quicker when they eat less than 20 grams of carbs per day? I see soooo many success stories where people lose 50-60 lb in 5 months (for example) these are people who are not extremely obese either..whereas counting calories you rarely see where they lose that much in that short period of time? So is it really the deficit in your daily calories that count? All these numerous stories I read & see lose so much so quick eating low carb!!

Do these same people KEEP their weight off for a year or more? Idk.

I love carbs.
  • Ayesha72
    Ayesha72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    To answer your question - when you restrict carbohydrates your body runs out of "sugar/fuel" and if you are not eating carbs for energy - your body MUST start converting fat to fuel in order for you to survive... And if your friend is eating 20 or less carbs a day - most likely they are also being calorie restrictive simply because 20 is not a whole lot of food that you can eat - the only zero carb food is miracle noodles or meat.. That said - I eat 50-60 a day and still manage to lose, although slowly. I did 30 a day while trying to get pregnant - lost 30 pounds in 45 days and got pregnant during that time as it evened out my hormones and the way my body used insulin. I used the same diet to have my last child as well...

I'm a low carber and it's more a lifestyle for me these days than a diet.. I don't feel restricted at all.. For every carb and sugar filled item you can name, I have a replacement.. I eat mashed cauliflower and fried cauliflower in place of potato items, I make a low fat, low carb no bake cheesecake to die for.. I replaced carby breads with low carb or better yet - Dr. Joseph's low carb pita - which has enabled me to have cheeseburgers on a bun, sandwiches, etc... I use low carb break and make French toast with sugar free syrup - um.. I make all sorts of casseroles.. My whole family (who is not overweight at all) eats this way now and they all say they feel better.. Think about how cavemen ate - they did not have refined flours and sugars.. I don't miss the carbs as I have learned to replaced them, I am not restricting a "food group" as I found replacements for all the breads and cereals and I'm still eating around 2000 calories a day and about 50 to 60 carbs a day - have lots of veggies and fiber in my diet and I feel better than ever. Where I have failed miserably is when I tried eating the high carb chips and cake, etc.. I also felt TERRIBLE... so did my family when we took a couple weeks off during my daughters wedding planning and festivities.. Everyone was happy to get back on.. I'm not saying low carbing is for everyone - but anyone who thinks it is restrictive hasn't done there homework.. There are thousands of yummy recipes online..
  • Ayesha72
    Options
    If they go right back to eating the foods that made them fat to begin with - then the answer is no matter what diet you are on - you will regain the weight if you return to that type of eating.
  • Ayesha72
    Options
    Actually - I AM hypoglycemic and low carbing keeps my sugars stable because my body is creating sugar/fuel from my fat.. I never felt better. I no longer have the low sugars or crashes I had when eating a "normal" diet with lots of carbs. So yes - hypoglycemic and diabetics (my mom, aunt and daughter have diabetes) can low carb - of course check with your DR first : )
    Why ask the question if you always dismiss people's responses?

because no one is answering the question -- why do low carbers lose so fast? not is it a good plan or is it sustainable.

Precisely: MaraDiaz did the best job in my view.

People on a ketogenic diet are able to consistently achieve much larger calorie deficits because they are not subject to hypoglycemia. I, for one, could go two days without eating if I wanted and exercise endlessly without even thinking about food because my brain is fed endogenously. Ketogenic dieters can easily do protein sparing modified fasts, intermittent fasting, and all sorts of things that conventional dieters cannot accomplish.
    for Body composition ketogenic diets may work...

They work for anyone who is disciplined enough to educate themselves and properly construct the diet. I know several people who have been following the diet for more than a decade, including an everyday person, biochemist, and professional athlete.

I'm curious as to who this professional athlete is

Of course you're curious. It disturbs your flawed paradigm.
  • chriswhudson
    Options
    If you are eating very low carbs by default your calorie count would be extremely low, so calorie count is still the factor.

People may say I'm eating less than 30 carbs a day, well ask what food is it and just look at the calories associated with that particular food.

Every dietitian or trainer, chooses, carbs, calorie, sodium, or whatever trigger word to drive home a particular point to their program.

The reason true experts choose low carbs is because by following this method your will create a bigger deficit quicker, but truth is you can't maintain that for more than 6 months max.