Can I log this as water?

Options
123457»

Replies

• K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I dont think anyone is really arguing that drinking other things other than water is particular bad for you. Theres probably a lot of evidence to show that there are plenty of people that do not drink any water at all, yet seem to survive each day by not dehydrating to death. Thats not the point. The point is if you consume tea, soda, crystal light, whatever it may be that if it is not water you log it as such.

When I scan the bar code of a diet soda, nestle quick, or Sobe beverage the MFP app doesnt say .... "2 glasses of water" Good job you!!

A bunch have people said it before. Water is water, OJ is OJ, milk is milk etc. etc. etc.

You can consume whatever you want, and log it whatever you want. Hell, eat Monster Thick Burger from Hardees and log it in as grilled salmon. No one really cares; but its not correct. That is all.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I dont think anyone is really arguing that drinking other things other than water is particular bad for you. Theres probably a lot of evidence to show that there are plenty of people that do not drink any water at all, yet seem to survive each day by not dehydrating to death. Thats not the point. The point is if you consume tea, soda, crystal light, whatever it may be that if it is not water you log it as such.

When I scan the bar code of a diet soda, nestle quick, or Sobe beverage the MFP app doesnt say .... "2 glasses of water" Good job you!!

A bunch have people said it before. Water is water, OJ is OJ, milk is milk etc. etc. etc.

You can consume whatever you want, and log it whatever you want. Hell, eat Monster Thick Burger from Hardees and log it in as grilled salmon. No one really cares; but its not correct. That is all.

If the Monster Thick Burger had a hunk of salmon in it, and you were trying to reach a certain level of salmon intake every day, then you would absolutely log it as salmon.

Similarly, all these drinks have water in them and hydrate you pretty much just as well as water. If you drank four gallons of tea in a day, saying you have made no progress to your "8 cups of water a day" goal would be stupid.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Wait a second ...
    By using this logic, you'd not be allowed to eat anything or even take your supplements or prescription meds with your water.

After all, according to your view of what is and what is not water, anything you ingest with the water will contaminate it and turn it into something that is not water.

For me, I use the Mayo Clinic suggestion for following the eight 8oz. glasses of water suggestion:
    "Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I guess the correct way to find out the real answer to this whole debate, is to ask those that have lost weight. Did you lose weight drinking liquids that are water based? Or did you lose weight drinking your minimum + of water?
    Me; I would say I drank no more than one glass of 'water' a week; usually less.

In reality, that no doubt means my increase in strength (now passing 1.5x body weight on my shoulders on the squat from maybe 3/4 of body weight) and the weight I've lost is probably all imaginary - I suspect it's delirium related to dehydration!
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log the green tea I make with tea bags as water. That's my go to liquid during working hours.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Mountain Dew contains no water. It is made of 50% joy, 50% happiness, and 50% sunshine.

Yes, that's 150%. 100% isn't enough for Mountain Dew.

This made me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Some of you MAY be overthinking this water consumption thing.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I only ask myself one question:
    Is it wet?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    You can dump a bunch of cyanide in water too. Would you still drink it and call it water? The entire point is one of nomenclature. You can call Crystal Light water if you want, but it is still aspartame, food coloring and preservatives that you wouldn't even pour on a plant. Do you really want that in your body?
    The more time I spend reading the forums, the more I feel tempted to do that. :yawn:
  • Kevintron2
    Kevintron2 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Cows drink water...so can I count milk as water? lol :)
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    So....adding something to water makes it not water?

If I sprinkle seasoning on my chicken breast....is it still chicken breast? If no, what is it?

I was never very good in science class. Please answer me post haste.

Sprinkling seasoning on a chicken breast is a physical change. Much like chopping it or shredding it. When dissolve something in water, that is a chemical change. Have you ever noticed that when you add laundry detergent to water that it feels slicker, wetter? That's because the detergent has cause the bond angle of the H2O to change from its naturally occurring 105 degrees.

What is this? A basic chemistry lesson?

Anytime you drink even pure H2O (which does exist, by the way) it will mix with something. Whether that something is food sitting in your stomach or intestines or a packet of crystal light, it doesn't matter.

Even if you put pure H2O into your mouth, it won't stay that way for long. Like you said, it is a universal solvent.

Your body can get the necessary water out of solution.

Chemistry lesson? No. I am, however a water chemist. I do this for a living. Pure water must me be mechanically filtered through a deminerlizer and has a conductivity of 11 µS/cm or less. So while it does exist, it is not naturally occurring.

Water will dissolve anything in it path. You can dump a bunch of cyanide in water too. Would you still drink it and call it water? The entire point is one of nomenclature. You can call Crystal Light water if you want, but it is still aspartame, food coloring and preservatives that you wouldn't even pour on a plant. Do you really want that in your body?

Yes, I do, actually. Especially the caffeinated version.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Many people have asked if they can log something like tea or coffee as water. The answers always sparked debate. I have devised this quick and dirty guide to help. Answer these questions, and you will never have to ask this question again.

1. Would you use it to water a plant or your lawn?
    2. Would you put it in your dog's bowl or hamster's bottle?
    3. Would you use it to fill a fish tank?
    4. Does it fall from the sky when it's raining?
    5. Can find large bodies of it to surf, fish, or swim in it?
    6. Would you use it in a recipe instead of water?
    7. Would you rinse your car or dishes with it?
    8. Would you bathe, wash your face, or shampoo your hair in it?
    9. Would you use it to rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth?
    10. Can you build a snowman out of it or ski on it when it is in a frozen, crystallized form?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, the liquid is probably not water. Don't log it as water. If you have added something to the water like Crystal Light or Mio, go back and ask yourself these questions about the "water" in its current, altered state. Again, if you answer any of these questions as "no" then it's not water.

I love this and I follow this (now), however it took me years to love water. Ten years ago I wouldn't have drank it without adding flavoring. It's definitely an adjustment.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Some of you MAY be overthinking this water consumption thing.

QFT

By most of the peoples standards in this thread, I would have died from dehydration years ago. FTW
  • ilovesparkle
    ilovesparkle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I remember seeing something on Food Network about how we get our water. They weighed a bunch of food, dehydrated it and then weighed it again to see how much water we absorb just from food. I think if you are hydrating yourself, your body doesn't care. Granted, pure water is better than water with stuff added to it, but if it helps you drink more, it shouldn't be an issue.