Replies

• maddiequinlan
    maddiequinlan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bumpity
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I wish I had seen this my first day on MFP but am so glad I found it over a month ago. I've been a lot happier and have been losing more inches since I've been properly fueling my body for my workouts! Thank you so much for this!
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    started this last week!!! can't wait to see some results! Thanks Dan!
  • Vejay
    Vejay Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This has been extremely helpful. I ate at TDEE all last week (and loved every minute of it lol) and it just made sense to me. Why start at the bottom (1200 calories) instead of the top and tweak the number if needed. You can't really tweak 1200 calories (unless you change the macro nutrients %).

Anyhoo, today I am eating at 20% - TDEE and very excited about it lol. I am walking 10,000 steps 5x a week using my FitBit one and I plan to start weight lifting. I actually averaged my FitBit calorie burn numbers over the last 23 days to get my TDEE. Which is somewhere between light and moderate. Also, can anyone recommend a weight lifting routine for women (beginner)? Should I start out twice a week, if so for how long?

Thanks Dan!

5'4"
    Bodyfat 31%
    Goal Body fat 25%.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    This has been extremely helpful. I ate at TDEE all last week (and loved every minute of it lol) and it just made sense to me. Why start at the bottom (1200 calories) instead of the top and tweak the number if needed. You can't really tweak 1200 calories (unless you change the macro nutrients %).

Anyhoo, today I am eating at 20% - TDEE and very excited about it lol. I am walking 10,000 steps 5x a week using my FitBit one and I plan to start weight lifting. I actually averaged my FitBit calorie burn numbers to get my TDEE.
    Also, can anyone recommend a weight lifting routine for women (beginner)? Should I start out twice a week, if so for how long?

Thanks Dan!

5'4"
    Bodyfat 31%
    Goal Body fat 25%.

Try StrongLifts 5x5, or The New Rules of Lifting for Women... :)

Edited to say: Both of these programs are 3 times a week. I have tried both. NROLFW was pretty involved, and there were a LOT of different exercises and schedules to keep. 5x5 has been a lot better for me, personally. Two workouts, 3 exercises per workout - 5 sets of 5 reps. Hence, 5x5. I LOVE IT.
  • ElleM0
    ElleM0 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump! :happy:
  • Vejay
    Options
    Awesome, thank you so much. I am looking for something a little simple now! :)
  • dlcuthbert
    dlcuthbert Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks Dan!
  • Vejay
    Options

Anyhoo, today I am eating at 20% - TDEE and very excited about it lol. I am walking 10,000 steps 5x a week using my FitBit one and I plan to start weight lifting. I actually averaged my FitBit calorie burn numbers to get my TDEE.
    Also, can anyone recommend a weight lifting routine for women (beginner)? Should I start out twice a week, if so for how long?

Thanks Dan!

5'4"
    Bodyfat 31%
    Goal Body fat 25%.

Try StrongLifts 5x5, or The New Rules of Lifting for Women... :)

Edited to say: Both of these programs are 3 times a week. I have tried both. NROLFW was pretty involved, and there were a LOT of different exercises and schedules to keep. 5x5 has been a lot better for me, personally. Two workouts, 3 exercises per workout - 5 sets of 5 reps. Hence, 5x5. I LOVE IT.

Awesome, thank you so much. I am looking for something a little simple now! :) I will Google the 5x5!
  • Vejay
    Options
    Bump...I have tried calculating my numbers this way before and I'm doing something way wrong...Perhaps I will try yet again. Thanks for the info.

The biggest thing that I found was, as Dan-the-Man mentioned in the OP - is patience. When I made the adjustment the first time, I had to jump from 1200 calories (the MFP standard) to 2199. I had to add 200 calories a week until I got to the high point. That was 5 weeks without a loss. In those 5 weeks, I put on 11 pounds. It was a LONG 5 weeks, and I wanted to quit, but as soon as I got there - bam! The weight started falling off!

I was really successfull for a long time, and then it just stalled out. After MONTHS of what I thought was a plateau, I finally ran my numbers again. I was WAY under where I should have been, but this time - I just did it all at once. I ate AT TDEE for a week, then went to TDEE - 20%, and that quick... I've lost 4.5 lbs, and 7 inches overall in just two weeks.

Be patient, and don't freak out if you see a small gain when you first adjust your calories up - because it WILL happen. Stick to it, and once your body adjusts to getting the right amount of fuel, it will start shedding the unnecessary.

This is very encouraging!!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I just wanted to add this calculator so people can play with it and have a better understanding of what sedentary TDEE means and how many calories are needed for moderate/light exercise. Everybody just claims to be sedentary!
  • dsett
    dsett Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Thank you for setting out all this information!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I want to know what happened with the 2 people the roadmap didn't work for. Why didn't it work? Did they find something else that did?
  • lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    tag
  • leap314
    leap314 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    thanks Im trying it right now.