bump
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Wow, just wow! :drinker:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I want to know what happened with the 2 people the roadmap didn't work for. Why didn't it work? Did they find something else that did?

I'm proud to say that both ate still with me after 2 years of adjustments and are now seeing fat loss.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Hi,

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, I'm just starting out with MFP and have been reading a lot of info here on the boards and learning a lot along the way. trying to process it and find the best way to go about my weight loss is challenging for me because i'm so unfamiliar with these things such as bmr, tdee, macros etc.

I currently wear a bodymedia fit core band about 23hrs a day.

My specific question is if i'm going to follow the tdee approach outlined here, is it ok to use my info from the core band for my tdee (averaged over the coarse of a week) or should i still do the calculator approach outlined in this post?

My biggest concern with the calculators are figuring out my activity level. in order for my calculator tdee to be close to my armband tdee i have to choose "active" even though i consider myself "lightly active" as i don't work out much at all at this point.

I'm sorry if this post seems all over the place, being new i guess i'm just looking for some confirmation that i'm understanding what i'm reading and doing things the right way.

Thanks in advance,
    Tim

Tim,

Go to the body media website and look at your months burn.
    Divide that number by 30 to get your average tdee.
    Cut 20%.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I love the IPOARM...it works famously.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    This is great!
  • Ta11asan
    Ta11asan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dan! I appreciate the reply. I havent been wearing it quite a month yet however thats what i've done with the 21 days i have had it.

Based on that my tdee is roughly 3450 which is close to what the calcs said also.

I cut 30% though as i have about 75lbs to lose. and then re evaluate each 25lbs or so?

I hope that seems logical?

Thanks again for the reply ...makes me feel better knowing i was approaching it right ...I have lost a couple inches around my waist since starting but the scale wasn't moving much and i thought maybe i figured something wrong or that my band was not working correctly.

Best Regards,
    Tim
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    bump
  • joannbrunton
    joannbrunton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Thanks Dan! I appreciate the reply. I havent been wearing it quite a month yet however thats what i've done with the 21 days i have had it.

Based on that my tdee is roughly 3450 which is close to what the calcs said also.

I cut 30% though as i have about 75lbs to lose. and then re evaluate each 25lbs or so?

I hope that seems logical?

Thanks again for the reply ...makes me feel better knowing i was approaching it right ...I have lost a couple inches around my waist since starting but the scale wasn't moving much and i thought maybe i figured something wrong or that my band was not working correctly.

Best Regards,
    Tim

Yes.

Another way of doing this to see how low you can go is to calculate Lean Mass.
    Get 1g protein per pound of lean mass.
    Protein = 4cal per gram.
    Get .45-.70g fat per pound of Lean Mass.
    Fat = 9cal per gram.
    Then fill the rest with whole carbs.

So for me at 120pounds LBM
    i'll need 120g protein 480cals
    i'll need 54-84 fat 456-786cals
    I'll be able to fit carbs up to 2500 (my TDEE)

It's a little more technical to do it this way but you can cut lower without sacrificing too much LBM as long as you are lifting heavy at least 3x a week with ample recovery.
  • leannscott
    leannscott Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the advice. I am defineltely going to try this method!
  • Ta11asan
    Ta11asan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dan,

I appreciate another approach. Right now I'm just starting with "you are your own gym" but its a slow start due to health issues.
    I think I'll set macros at 40/30/30 c/f/p and see how I do with whatever body weight workout I can do.

Now that I understand all this better I just have to learn how to hit my macros with my diet.

I can't express how much you've helped me in this thread alone..thank you!

Best regards,
    Tim
  • dellalyn
    dellalyn Posts: 41
    Options
    bump
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have read this before worked my numbers but didn't increase the calories that high, will reread and see if I can do this. Thanks Dan
  • singledj
    singledj Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can find this again! Thanks for all the great info!
  • golightlygirl
    Options
    Thank you, Dan! Wonderfully written and researched :)
  • getter1952
    Options
    Will this work for women in there 50's?
    I need to lose about 20lbs and I am afraid to up my calories so high. My bmr is 1442 and it's telling me to eat 1626 or for lightly active up to 1863.I am afraid I will gain more eating this much.
  • TheBoev
    TheBoev Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump to read, reread and then read agan!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Will this work for women in there 50's?
    I need to lose about 20lbs and I am afraid to up my calories so high. My bmr is 1442 and it's telling me to eat 1626 or for lightly active up to 1863.I am afraid I will gain more eating this much.

Take the next month and slowly adjust up to the 1800 number.
    Try to maintain weight at that.
    Then cut down.