and they say eating healthy costs more??

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah not accurate at all. I want to find that store where 1 lb of chicken breast is $1!
  • beckysiz
    beckysiz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The benefits to eating healthy are priceless.

We spend about $1200.00 a month on food for 5 people.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Would Love to know where the OP is from, Maybe I should move, cause chicken for 1 a pound is a great deal. Next time show us realistic comparisons. A case of Coke isn't food and many people that have a hard time buying groceries are not buying cola buy the case full. They are buying fattier meat because its cheaper and boxed meals. The cheapest I have seen grapes here is 1.88 a pound and I look at the sales ads every week.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    All food has a season. I would never buy grapes, for example, out of season. In season they are .99 a pound. Meat has a season too. Right now here pork is very cheap. .79 a pound. I never even thought about healthful things not being available. I have always lived in more populated regions of the US. My suggestion is, shop sales, stop eating because "you want it". When dried beans go on sale buy one get one, I load up the pantry. It is doable and just as cost efficient if you want it. Does it take time and attention? Yes.. Is it with it? Extra yes.

This what I was going to say, but somebody said it better, first! This! ^^
  • anon189
    anon189 Posts: 42
    Options
    I definitely can't speak for other countries, but Americans, where are you shopping? Of course if you go to your local Giant, Publix, Wegmans, (insert expensive local grocery store here) prices are going to be through the roof. I am not trying to be mean or accuse, but have you guys complaining read local sale flyers lately? Gone online to look for deals and coupons? Walmart usually has chicken for around a dollar a pound, so does Aldi and Bj's (although you have to buy in bulk). You won't be able to get organic for these prices but you can get decent quality healthy food. I do 75% of my grocery shopping at Walmart in Pennsylvania and I can tell you these prices are 100% accurate (except for the grapes, those are 2.44 a pound, but they aren't in season either.)

Look around. Check flyers. Check farmers markets. Check mass merchandisers instead of the local grocery stores. Get a club card and buy stuff in bulk if it's financially feasible. If you have an Aldi or a Save A Lot go there (hey, they are ghetto but the prices are worth it). Sometimes it might cost a little in gas, or you might have to buy more in bulk, but it's your health and it's worth it. If you want something you'll find a way, if not you'll find an excuse.

I don't shop at Walmart. Haven't stepped foot in one in almost 3 years and won't. I'd rather pay more than go there. Anyway, I live in a very high cost of living area, so Walmart prices are actually more or at least equivalent to where I shop.
  • anon189
    anon189 Posts: 42
    Options
    Oh, and I don't have a problem spending $600/month on food because it's healthy and what we "want" to eat. I'm just pointing out those prices are pretty unrealistic for most Americans. I did get some strawberries on sale the other day- $1.50 for a small carton. I was in shock they were so cheap! SO obviously there are sales, but overall those prices are way too low to be realistic.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    There are options for growing food when you have a small space and no land. Most cities have community gardens. Lots of people who garden in these gardens will barter with you as well. Another option would be supporting your local farmers. Go to the farms or farmers markets. As a small farm owner....I can tell you...I am not just out for $$ I will also barter for just about anything I need. I grow my own organic chickens from chick to freezer. I pay nobody to do any part of the work for me to keep my costs low. One farm in my town chrages upwards of 4 or 5 bucks a pound!!!!! I can grow mine for a fraction of that price. I do the same with pork. Also, I see people saying they dont ever find coupons for healthy items. I use coupons. If there is a couple of weeks where there are no good deals on healthy items using my coupons, I will use my coupons to purchase items I donate to the pantry that will give me an overage at the register. I use the overage from these donation items to pay for our fresh fruits and other items I want that are healthy. It is a win-win. I get healthy items, the store gets reimbursed for the coupons and the local food pantry gets items donated that they really need to help local families. Just a couple of thoughts on eating well and saving $$.

Some great tips in there. Community Gardens can be fantastic, but they can also be a nightmare. I'm a big fan of farmer's markets, CSAs and food coops and utilize them all. I do buy healthy foods and am lucky enough to afford to, but none of that changes how grossly misleading/inaccurate the information provided in the OP is for (based on the comments) almost everyone.
  • mish3131
    mish3131 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Honestly, none of those prices apply to where I live. Chicken alone is $4.99lb, and the best I have found it is $1.79lb. Fruits and veggi's are through the roof here too. I would love to say buying crap is more expensive than good food, but not where I live. I do the best I can and buy little to no crap if possible. I would rather cut back on hairs than each all processed crap.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Where do you go you buy 1 lb. of chicken for 98 cents?

walmart
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The only chicken I've seen that cheap is large (>3 lb) leg quarters packages that have a use by date of the same day.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    Options
    Oh, and I don't have a problem spending $600/month on food because it's healthy and what we "want" to eat. I'm just pointing out those prices are pretty unrealistic for most Americans. I did get some strawberries on sale the other day- $1.50 for a small carton. I was in shock they were so cheap! SO obviously there are sales, but overall those prices are way too low to be realistic.

See where I live I can buy strawberries for .99 a carton. I think it really does depend where u live. Obviously prices will vary, but I do however fully believe healthier things cost less.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    Options
    The only chicken I've seen that cheap is large (>3 lb) leg quarters packages that have a use by date of the same day.

No. I buy reduced price boneless skinless breasts and freeze them so they dont have to be used same day. If more Americans did this with meat and produce their food would last so much longer.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No. I buy reduced price boneless skinless breasts and freeze them so they dont have to be used same day. If more Americans did this with meat and produce their food would last so much longer.

I don't know where you live but they never have that at my local groceries or Walmart. Fresh chicken here always costs more than pre-frozen, so it makes no sense to buy fresh and freeze when it costs more than the $2.33/lb they want for the stuff that's already frozen.
  • tiggermamaof2
    tiggermamaof2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    chicken on sale here is 1.98 average 4.99 a pound. and I have never gotten a coupon for carrots, corn, or chicken bread yes heating healthy is definitely very expensive right now .
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Chicken $.98/lb?!?
    I WISH.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

After freezing leftovers, regular foods, and items that I make in larger portions than we'll consume in a meal I don't have room in my pretty small freezer to stock up on sale meats. But if I ever have a bigger place and room for a stand alone freezer, I'd be doing this all the time.
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options

See where I live I can buy strawberries for .99 a carton. I think it really does depend where u live. Obviously prices will vary, but I do however fully believe healthier things cost less.

I can agree that overall, healthy eating is beginning to save me money. I've made the change to try to eat healthier (and got my husband on board!) and with this last grocery trip I actually cut $50 off of my bill by not buying chips, cookies, cereal, etc... I bought more fruits and veggies than normal (fresh and frozen so they won't go bad so fast). I did get my chicken breasts on sale for $1.79/lb though so that probably helped some.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about buying bone-in chicken with skin. It's supposed to be cheaper, and anyway skinless boneless is a pain in the *kitten* to cook (you have to add fat anyway, or grill, which I can't do).
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I buy a whole chicken for about $5. I can make about five meals with it. First meal is baked, veggies and brown rice. I use the left overs for pot pies, salads, tacos. I boil the bone and make soup. I think eating healthy take more time.

The cheapest, most disgusting whole chicken I can find is $14.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    The benefits to eating healthy are priceless.

We spend about $1200.00 a month on food for 5 people.

They are. But only if you can afford the food to begin with. 1,200 is almost two and a half months worth of income for me. I cannot imagine having that much money to spend monthly, let alone for food. *sigh* It sounds awesome, though.