and they say eating healthy costs more??

Options
12346»

Replies

• cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    -The picture is misleading. That's a 2-3 lb package of chicken.

- Chicken breasts are on sale here every other week at either one of our two major grocery chains for 1.99/lb. Regular price is about $3.50/lb.

- We have a farmer's market that costs 2 or 3 times over the grocery stores. I like the idea of supporting local farms, but I can't afford to shop there every week.

-The name brand whole-grain bread is $4.00. Store brand whole-grain is $2.50.

-Grapes go on sale at random times. Sometimes down to a dollar a lb, then the next week back up to $4.
  • beckysiz
    beckysiz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The benefits to eating healthy are priceless.

We spend about $1200.00 a month on food for 5 people.

They are. But only if you can afford the food to begin with. 1,200 is almost two and a half months worth of income for me. I cannot imagine having that much money to spend monthly, let alone for food. *sigh* It sounds awesome, though.

yeah, I do realize that it's not possible for all people. It makes me really sad, too.

I recently watched the documentary A Place at the Table and I could have cried the entire time.
  • Rhappyhands
    Options
    My husband recently passed away and it was a wake up call to me to change my lifestyle and eat better and exercise more. It also cut available monthly income by two thirds. To reduce my expenses I joined a food co-op. I receive a large basket of half veggies, half fruit once a week. It costs me $16.50. I live alone and have trouble actually eating all the food so I freeze some and share some with friends. Last week my basket had a pound of strawberries, a pound of asparagus, a huge head of green leaf lettuce, a bunch of celery, a bunch of radishes, a bunch of bok choy, two heads of garlic, two red bell peppers, 4 mangoes, a large bunch of bananas, and three lemons. I made 6 quart jars of green salad and still had a big salad that served two for lunch. I had roasted asparagus three times and stir fried bokchoy and garlic.

This week I was able to add 5 loaves of whole grain bread to my basket for an additional $10.00

This weekend I learned of an organization in my area that "rescues" food. The produce is donated by both farmers and wholesalers. It isn't perfect looking but it's really good. Some of the veggies were so ripe that had to be prepared and frozen or cooked right away, still good stuff. They had grapefruit, tangerines, tomatoes, cucumbers, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, red and orange bell peppers, and summer squash. I got 60 pounds of produce for $10.00.

I was amazed at how much food ended up in my fridge plus I was able to share with friends. From now on I'm thinking outside the grocery store for much of my food. I have added links for the two organizations I used and maybe you can make use of them or find something similar in your area!

The 3000 Club Food Rescue: : Reclaiming a Greener Future
    the3000club.org

www.bountifulbaskets.org
  • llama_sammich
    Options
    Yeah...a pound of chicken breasts costs me about $20... So I pretty much never get to eat it :(

And all the organic stuff and grain fed meat is like double the price of the regular kind. So yeah, it IS more expensive to eat right.