Quitting diet soda today

Options
I've decided to quit. Cold turkey-like. I've been drinking easily a liter a day for a decade or more (except when I've lacked access to it-international travel, mainly! :tongue: ) It's one of those things I've been telling myself I need to do and just never have attempted it. Two days ago, I saw a documentary and they talked about the side effects of artificial sweeteners and it really opened my eyes. I need to quit now! I finished off my 2 liter yesterday and now I'm done. I drank plenty of water this morning and a cup of coffee to get me going and I feel just fine so far. Wish me luck...

Replies

• MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've decided to quit. Cold turkey-like. I've been drinking easily a liter a day for a decade or more (except when I've lacked access to it-international travel, mainly! :tongue: ) It's one of those things I've been telling myself I need to do and just never have attempted it. Two days ago, I saw a documentary and they talked about the side effects of artificial sweeteners and it really opened my eyes. I need to quit now! I finished off my 2 liter yesterday and now I'm done. I drank plenty of water this morning and a cup of coffee to get me going and I feel just fine so far. Wish me luck...

Good for you, prepare yourself to feel like crap for about 3-5 days. I quite drinking all soda products about 3 years ago. I did it cold turkey, just like you are. My main drink of choice these days is tea, iced or hot, I consume gallons of the stuff - lol Just stick with it, you have spent many years building a habit of reaching for that soda. It will take time to re-train your brain to think of something else besides soda. I can tell you once you get your brain re-trained and your body detoxed you will never go back. I used to get headaches off and on, I have not really had a headache since stopping soda.

I mainly went with tea for a couple of reasons, it has health benefits with the antioxidants and such. Plus you can travel most anywhere in the world and they will have tea. Same with restaurants, it is very rare for me to run across a place to eat that does not offer unsweetened tea. Tea can get pricing if you go for the good stuff, I have always been fine with the cheap black teas though.

Good luck to you, like I said you will feel like crap for awhile. Drink lots of water and stay the course!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It'll be worth it in the long run! :)
  • ElizabethKG1983
    ElizabethKG1983 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You can do it!!!! I got off of diet coke and sugar free redbulls and although it was tough at first it was worth it and I feel lot healthier! Now I just drink a little coffee, lots of water and coconut water!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    yes, be prepared for withdrawal symptoms. Have some aleve ready and waiting. I used to drink Mt. Dew 1-2 times a day, and starbucks on top of that. the caffeine withdrawals weren't exactly pleasant but i love knowing that i'm not taking in a bunch of empty calories every day. I even discovered that i didn't actually NEED coffee in the morning, it was more a "get rid of the hunger pains". Now i have breakfast and some water and i'm good to go.
  • oudixon
    oudixon Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking coke and pepsi daily. I was horrible with it. I may have a coke zero at a resteraunt everyonce in a while. My goal is to eliminate it completely. I believe this has really helped me in the last month. I have only dieted for a month, but have lost 20 pounds already, I have 130 more to go.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    4 oz of chicken breast contains more of the chemical make up of aspartame than a case of diet coke. Better quit eating chicken.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i guess i kinda quit about 10 days ago. but, i was on this no sugar including artificial sweeteners diet for 7 days. it's sticking so far. actually, i thought i wanted a diet coke yesterday. i took 2 sips......bleh. threw it out.

good luck! you can do this!
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Good job....your bones will thank you, as the phosphorous was making them sad!
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Make sure you don't jump into aspartame as a substitute. Your body doesn't know the difference between real sugar or Aspartame. So it's actually worse. It's increase the chance of Diabetes substantially. It was introduced by the War monger Donald Rumsfeld. Need I say more!

http://www.holistic-health-alternative.com/aspartame-danger.html

I'm happy for you!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    4 oz of chicken breast contains more of the chemical make up of aspartame than a case of diet coke. Better quit eating chicken.
    Lol are you really being critical to someone's decision to quit diet soda? Some people...
  • ItIsJessMe
    Options
    I want to ask a question about this. I've been drinking one can of diet caffeine free coke at night, maybe 3-4 nights/wk, as a way to curb my cravings for higher calorie stuff. (If I feel like the dc is a treat it stops me from wanting ice cream and M&Ms.)

How bad is it really? Otherwise I only drink water and coffee (and half a glass of wine at dinner). Is 3-4 cans/week going to have a huge health impact?
  • petitegreek
    petitegreek Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to go cold turkey on it too. Yesterday was the first day I was successful and didn't have a can of diet coke at all! I've been drinking water and tea.

Anyone know how good juices are for you when you are trying to lose weight? I know there's vitamins in it, but I just get turned away from it because of the calories and high sugar.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Congratulations as an excess of many things is not good.

It is important to note however that artificial sweeteners are not as dangerous as perceived, however, there are consequences in regards to caloric intake.

Per the Harvard Medical School:

"Artificial sweeteners may play another trick, too. Research suggests that they may prevent us from associating sweetness with caloric intake. As a result, we may crave more sweets, tend to choose sweet food over nutritious food, and gain weight. Participants in the San Antonio Heart Study who drank more than 21 diet drinks per week were twice as likely to become overweight or obese as people who didn’t drink diet soda.

But you say you can give up diet drinks whenever you want? Don’t be so sure. Animal studies suggest that artificial sweeteners may be addictive. In studies of rats who were exposed to cocaine, then given a choice between intravenous cocaine or oral saccharine, most chose saccharin."

Per the Mayo Clinic:

"But according to the National Cancer Institute and other health agencies, there's no sound scientific evidence that any of the artificial sweeteners approved for use in the U.S. cause cancer or other serious health problems. And numerous research studies confirm that artificial sweeteners are generally safe in limited quantities, even for pregnant women. As a result of the newer studies, the warning label for saccharin was dropped."

Per the National Cancer Institute:

Key Points

Artificial sweeteners are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
    There is no clear evidence that the artificial sweeteners available commercially in the United States are associated with cancer risk in humans.
    Studies have been conducted on the safety of several artificial sweeteners, including saccharin, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, sucralose, neotame, and cyclamate.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Good for you for wanting to make the change! Best wishes on your journey!
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    good luck!! I went through this as well...except I was drinking regular soda. My new bff is sparkling water that is flavored. Adds that little bit of fizz when you need it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I haven't had any in over a year now!! :happy:
  • DHONEGGER
    DHONEGGER Posts: 12
    Options
    I'VE DONE IT BEFORE N NEED TO AGAIN. GOODLUCK!
  • DangerousDoug42
    DangerousDoug42 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I quit 3 weeks ago, and yes the first 2 days were brutal (headache, muscle aches, etc.) but after that have felt fine. I switched to sparkling water and that gives me the carbonation. Had some crazy dreams the first week but have been sleeping like a rock! Good work and keep it up!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Good decision; I applaud you!
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Great job! Potential health benefits aside, think of all the money you'll save! And not dealing with the returnables/recyclables is a relief too.

Wishing you the best!