Quitting diet soda today

Options

Replies

• sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    how bout encouraging the OP? or if you're not here to do that, why ARE you in this thread?

I question the validity of the claim hidden in this personal attack.

Is there actual value in encouraging someone on to do something completely pointless and without merit?

why can't you support someone in what THEY are choosing to do? they aren't harming themselves by cutting out diet soda, are they? just because it isn't bad for them doesn't mean that its GOOD for them. if they said they were going to cut out all water in their diet, i would criticize. but not diet soda. support the OP or move on.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    See the Brain damage is setting in already. LOL. Go ahead, Drink all the Aspartame you will. I will stay away from that s*it

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/recent.html

Distinct lack of studies cited or supporting evidence in that blog there.

yyyyeah... it's a holistic website... typically aren't many peer-reviewed governmentally sponsored studies on their sites. (see the current argument)

What about non-government sponsored peer reviewed studies? Or any evidence?

take the post right above yours to heart, please.

Ironic post is ironic. I pointed out that the article had no peer reviewed studies or other evidence linked (and it was not even your post) - simple as that. You were the one who decided to weigh in with your conspiracy theories.

exactly. girl is cutting out an unhealthy food (which is a good thing) and your first post in the thread was to ask if there were any studies on that page that were evidence that aspartame is bad for you.

how bout encouraging the OP? or if you're not here to do that, why ARE you in this thread?
    The point is, it's not an unhealthy food. In moderation, it's perfectly fine. Just like many other foods that are fine for most people, but bad for some. Strawberries for example, or mangos.

is it a healthy food?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Is there actual value in encouraging someone on to do something completely pointless and without merit?

why can't you support someone in what THEY are choosing to do? they aren't harming themselves by cutting out diet soda, are they? just because it isn't bad for them doesn't mean that its GOOD for them. if they said they were going to cut out all water in their diet, i would criticize. but not diet soda. support the OP or move on.

:drinker:
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!! I wish you all the best success and stick with it! Your body will thank you later :flowerforyou:
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Only on MFP will people argue that quitting Diet Coke is a bad thing

* Facepalm
  • CoachReddy
    Options

* Facepalm

haha right? crazytown.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    magerum, judging by your diary, you love processed junk. The pop tarts, ice cream, frozen dinners, two cans of soda. That stuff seems really healthy! good for you for living such a perfect life style!!

I do love my food. You forgot to mention the 1.5 lbs of chicken breast, 2.5 lbs of vegetables, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese and almonds that I eat daily.

I would put my panels up against yours any day. Resting HR is 58, total cholesterol is 98 (yes, 9.8.) BP is 110/70... I could go on. Good luck with the food Nazi'ism (yeah I'm making up words now).
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

yeah that wasn't a personal attack.

but anyway, no one - not even you - can prove that diet soda is GOOD for you, yes?

so what's wrong with getting rid of it on the off-chance all we crazy anti-aspartame people are actually right? she risks nothing in doing so, while you all are crossing your fingers and hoping science is serving you well this time.

Sure it was. And it was pretty overt as well. If you can't address the argument, try to discredit the person making the argument.

The onus is on the people making the claim that it's unhealthy. Not those asking for proof.

Also, I have not claimed that diet soda is good for anyone. I have only refuted the claim that it is bad for people. As far as I can tell, it's likely pretty neutral.

As to your last argument, consider: sleeping on your stomach might lead to death. No, I can't prove it, but why not just stop sleeping on your stomach. There's no risk and what if I'm right?

Sure, a wonderful way to live your life.

Don't worry. Many people believe many things without a shred of evidence. It's human nature and it doesn't make you special or weird or stupid.
  • AngryDiet
    Options

I would argue that my advice is actually better support than simply saying "good for you in doing that pointless thing." At least I'm offering the opportunity to do something constructive instead.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

* Facepalm

Who said it was?
  • AngryDiet
    Options

* Facepalm

haha right? crazytown.

And completely misrepresenting what some of us are saying.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Cherry Coke Zero is da bomb yo....
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

You sir have it right!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    See the Brain damage is setting in already. LOL. Go ahead, Drink all the Aspartame you will. I will stay away from that s*it

yyyyeah... it's a holistic website... typically aren't many peer-reviewed governmentally sponsored studies on their sites. (see the current argument)

Ironic post is ironic. I pointed out that the article had no peer reviewed studies or other evidence linked (and it was not even your post) - simple as that. You were the one who decided to weigh in with your conspiracy theories.

exactly. girl is cutting out an unhealthy food (which is a good thing) and your first post in the thread was to ask if there were any studies on that page that were evidence that aspartame is bad for you.

I do not agree that it is unhealthy in reasonable doses (unless you have PKU or a sensitivity to it). There was no evidence on that blog - which is why I pointed it out. I made an observation about the validity of a blog..simple as that. It was you who decided to make a big deal out of it.

ETA: if someone could come up with an actual peer reviewed studies showing it were, I would like to see it...knowledge and learning is good and understanding should never stagnate.
  • AngryDiet
    Options

Diet Fresca is surprisingly tasty as well.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yay, OP. Sounds like a reasonable thing to do. I believe there are some research studies that support that the sweet taste can trigger certain cravings/insulin responses. (No, I don't have cites to them. Going entirely from fuzzy recollection too, so could be totally wrong.)

Personally, I've never tasted a diet soda I liked...but I haven't tried too hard to find one either. I've had two (regular) 12 oz sodas since 2005. I have trouble reconciling it...both diet and regular...with my general approach to diet.

That said, I haven't heard of any research that supports the conclusion that diet sodas are inherently dangerous for the general population either.

ETA: I've always been a little leery of any one food item that would cause distress to remove it from the diet for a month or two. Just seems like a potentially unhealthy habit (even when the food item in question isn't inherently unhealthy).
  • sierra_12
    Options

I would argue that my advice is actually better support than simply saying "good for you in doing that pointless thing." At least I'm offering the opportunity to do something constructive instead.

i just don't understand why you would tell someone that they shouldn't do something that they think will help them on their journey, and that (even if it won't help them) won't hurt them. i don't think that diet sodas are bad for you, i drink a couple a week. so don't think I'm on that side of this. i just believe that we should support the OP if what they are doing is not harming them. and cutting out diet sodas will not harm them.
  • sierra_12
    Options

Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper is my favorite (:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

the unhealthiest thing about this thread is the idea that foods must be classified as "healthy" or "unhealthy". i would object to that first. it's a mindset that undermines more people than it helps because it creates a feeling of guilt or shame within those who believe it, whenever they are not able to avoid "unhealthy" foods. losing weight and getting fit is hard enough for some people, without layering a mental illness such as orthorexia nervosa on top of it. have you ever read the food diaries of someone suffering from an eating disorder who is deathly afraid to eat certain helpful foods because they've been convinced that the food is "bad" or "unhealthy" for them? i have. i know one who is afraid to eat foods with dietary fat because she's convinced that all of those foods are "bad" for her, even peanut butter... which would do wonders to help her reach her minimum daily calorie goal. so i do think the promotion of orthorexic thinking can have a negative effect on lots of people and i personally reject any philosophy that insists that certain foods must be labeled as "bad" or "unhealthy". the truth is that all foods are just fuel. if you know how to manage your macros, you can eat a nutritious diet that includes all sorts of foods, even the ones that are routinely maligned by clean and paleo eaters.
  • bobbiboo24
    bobbiboo24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow go you!! I am a huge diet coke addict and don't think I could give it up. I also used to be a smoker for 7 years, gave that up pretty okay.. but I found giving up my beloved diet coke too difficult! haha, I need to try again cos it is NOT good for me!!!!

Here's hoping you have great success! Woooah ya! :D