Quitting diet soda today

Options

Replies

• AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    This again.

Diet soda will not hurt you. Drink it or don't. It doesn't matter.

But why not focus your efforts on something more constructive? Depriving yourself of something that you enjoy for no good reason is a waste of energy and willpower when there are far more productive things you can focus on.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    See the Brain damage is setting in already. LOL. Go ahead, Drink all the Aspartame you will. I will stay away from that s*it

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/recent.html
    Good for you! That stuff is toxic!

Aspartame is broken down into phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol. Phenylalanine and Aspartic Acid are amino acids and there's a much higher concentration of these aminos in a measly 4oz chicken breast than there is in diet soda. 1 Banana will yield more methanol than a 12oz can of soda. The dosage limits that can cause any issues are VERY HIGH, and you'd have to consume massive amounts to even detect any increased levels in a blood test. Cliffs: Diet soda is fine if you don't get headaches from it, and a very small % of people do. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671

Everyone should stop spreading rumors and old-wives tales.

Really? You reference a voodoo witchcraft non-scientifically proven style of medicine?

that has been keeping people healthy in the east for thousands of years.

question for you - who has the highest rates of all the big diseases in the world? Us with our fancy government agencies and better science than anyone else. Who is almost always among the lowest? The Eastern countries, the Phillipines, India, etc, etc

You don't have to believe it, but just because something isn't patentable by a pharmaceutical company doesn't mean it isn't more effective. :)

I would contend that they're unable to 1) track their disease rates nearly as well as we can & 2) based on holistic medicine can't even identify them.
    Philippines is ranked 129 with an average of 67.8

India is ranked 147 with an average of 64

In support of your point, Japan ranks #1 overall.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Make sure you don't jump into aspartame as a substitute. Your body doesn't know the difference between real sugar or Aspartame. So it's actually worse. It's increase the chance of Diabetes substantially. It was introduced by the War monger Donald Rumsfeld. Need I say more!

http://www.holistic-health-alternative.com/aspartame-danger.html

I'm happy for you!
    Totally false. Aspartame is protein, sugar is carb. The human body certainly knows the difference between protein and carbs.
  • Zebrastacie
    Options
    I gave it all up over one month ago and anything with aspartame/arfticial sweeteners. Had a headache for a day (don't drink coffee) but feel FANTASTIC now! Proud of you.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    See the Brain damage is setting in already. LOL. Go ahead, Drink all the Aspartame you will. I will stay away from that s*it

Aspartame is broken down into phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol. Phenylalanine and Aspartic Acid are amino acids and there's a much higher concentration of these aminos in a measly 4oz chicken breast than there is in diet soda. 1 Banana will yield more methanol than a 12oz can of soda. The dosage limits that can cause any issues are VERY HIGH, and you'd have to consume massive amounts to even detect any increased levels in a blood test. Cliffs: Diet soda is fine if you don't get headaches from it, and a very small % of people do. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671

Really? You reference a voodoo witchcraft non-scientifically proven style of medicine?

question for you - who has the highest rates of all the big diseases in the world? Us with our fancy government agencies and better science than anyone else. Who is almost always among the lowest? The Eastern countries, the Phillipines, India, etc, etc

You don't have to believe it, but just because something isn't patentable by a pharmaceutical company doesn't mean it isn't more effective. :)

Life expectancy is a metric that should not be overlooked.

The U.S. is 40th at 77.9

I'd also argue what is the QUALITY of those later years here in America, where almost everyone has some sort of big disease that needs to be managed by massively expensive pills or hospital stays? We're keeping people alive longer with drugs and meds while they're nearly immobile.

But also - look at that! We outspend the rest of the world on health care by a RIDICULOUS amount, yet we're 40th in terms of life expectancy. Maybe our scientists and doctors DON'T know everything... is that so bizarre a notion?
  • tigersword
    Options

The U.S. is 40th at 77.9

I'd also argue what is the QUALITY of those later years here in America, where almost everyone has some sort of big disease that needs to be managed by massively expensive pills or hospital stays? We're keeping people alive longer with drugs and meds while they're nearly immobile.

But also - look at that! We outspend the rest of the world on health care by a RIDICULOUS amount, yet we're 40th in terms of life expectancy. Maybe our scientists and doctors DON'T know everything... is that so bizarre a notion?
    Almost everyone, huh? Interesting. My grandparents all lived well into their 80's and 90's, and none of them were on any expensive pills, or had any big diseases. In fact, nobody in my extended family does. Same goes for my friends' families. Guess we are all just the crazy exceptions to your completely invented rule...
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    magerum, judging by your diary, you love processed junk. The pop tarts, ice cream, frozen dinners, two cans of soda. That stuff seems really healthy! good for you for living such a perfect life style!!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

The U.S. is 40th at 77.9

Almost everyone, huh? Interesting. My grandparents all lived well into their 80's and 90's, and none of them were on any expensive pills, or had any big diseases. In fact, nobody in my extended family does. Same goes for my friends' families. Guess we are all just the crazy exceptions to your completely invented rule...

go ahead and ignore the overall point of the post though. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Distinct lack of studies cited or supporting evidence in that blog there.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

yyyyeah... it's a holistic website... typically aren't many peer-reviewed governmentally sponsored studies on their sites. (see the current argument)
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    good for you! giving up something that you feel is inhibiting you on your weight loss journey is a strong thing for you to do! I'm proud of you (:

for the rest of you... stop creating online drama. support the original thread poster or move past the post entirely. there is no need to put down each others' opinions. no matter how RIGHT you think you are, you will never change the others' opinion. so stop trying.

have a good day everyone (:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

yyyyeah... it's a holistic website... typically aren't many peer-reviewed governmentally sponsored studies on their sites. (see the current argument)

What about non-government sponsored peer reviewed studies? Or any evidence?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

take the post right above yours to heart, please.
  • tigersword
    Options

The U.S. is 40th at 77.9

go ahead and ignore the overall point of the post though. :)
    Which overall point is that? That you are making up false claims to support your non-fact based opinion? You have no credibility with which to make a point, if your claims aren't actually rooted in fact.
  • arnoswife
    arnoswife Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I drink one soda a week, a diet one. Yes I think I will survive.:wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Ironic post is ironic. I pointed out that the article had no peer reviewed studies or other evidence linked (and it was not even your post) - simple as that. You were the one who decided to weigh in with your conspiracy theories.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Ironic post is ironic. I pointed out that the article had no peer reviewed studies or other evidence linked (and it was not even your post) - simple as that. You were the one who decided to weigh in with your conspiracy theories.

exactly. girl is cutting out an unhealthy food (which is a good thing) and your first post in the thread was to ask if there were any studies on that page that were evidence that aspartame is bad for you.

how bout encouraging the OP? or if you're not here to do that, why ARE you in this thread?
  • tigersword
    Options

exactly. girl is cutting out an unhealthy food (which is a good thing) and your first post in the thread was to ask if there were any studies on that page that were evidence that aspartame is bad for you.

how bout encouraging the OP? or if you're not here to do that, why ARE you in this thread?
    The point is, it's not an unhealthy food. In moderation, it's perfectly fine. Just like many other foods that are fine for most people, but bad for some. Strawberries for example, or mangos.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

I question the validity of the claim hidden in this personal attack.

Is there actual value in encouraging someone on to do something completely pointless and without merit?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I question the validity of the claim hidden in this personal attack.

Is there actual value in encouraging someone on to do something completely pointless and without merit?
    yeah that wasn't a personal attack.

but anyway, no one - not even you - can prove that diet soda is GOOD for you, yes?

so what's wrong with getting rid of it on the off-chance all we crazy anti-aspartame people are actually right? she risks nothing in doing so, while you all are crossing your fingers and hoping science is serving you well this time.