Quitting diet soda today

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Good for you! If it helps, buy some seltzer and put a splash of juice in it. It helped me get over my coke habit.

And don't listen to people who tell you it's safe to drink artificial sweeteners.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options

And don't listen to people who tell you it's safe to drink artificial sweeteners.

Yeah those crackpots with their science and logic. :huh:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

yeah how could science EVER be wrong?!?!?

if you don't like my leech analogy, look up Lobotamies.

be skeptical, it will serve you better than being a sheep.
  • NikoM5
    Options

Science is never wrong but human error often creates bad science. Good science it still the best evidence we have for anything BY A LONG SHOT. Skeptics don't come bigger than myself. I dismiss 9 studies out of every 10 I read for poor execution. Back to the herd with you.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Science is never wrong but human error often creates bad science. Good science it still the best evidence we have for anything BY A LONG SHOT. Skeptics don't come bigger than myself. I dismiss 9 studies out of every 10 I read for poor execution. Back to the herd with you.

lol if i were in the herd you'd think more people would support my opinions. :wink:
  • NikoM5
    Options

lol if i were in the herd you'd think more people would support my opinions. :wink:

The herd of baseless, non scientific quackery is a large and powerful one that many of us here work to cull.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

The herd of baseless, non scientific quackery is a large and powerful one that many of us here work to cull.

you truly think MD's treat every disease in the best possible manner? you truly think that pharmaceutical studies don't have a conflict of interest? you really believe everything your government tells you?

meh, I'm happy to be a part of non-scientific quackery if that's the alternative!
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options

you truly think MD's treat every disease in the best possible manner? you truly think that pharmaceutical studies don't have a conflict of interest? you really believe everything your government tells you?

meh, I'm happy to be a part of non-scientific quackery if that's the alternative!

Another wiki link for ya

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma
  • NikoM5
    Options

Why do you keep asking me (and everyone else who disagrees with you) if we believe things that we've never stated?? It's like we keep trying to debate about apples but you keep throwing oranges into the mix!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Why do you keep asking me (and everyone else who disagrees with you) if we believe things that we've never stated?? It's like we keep trying to debate about apples but you keep throwing oranges into the mix!

fair enough. why do you feel that if something isn't supported by multiple peer-reviewed studies, that it's necessarily wrong? that's a fallacy as well.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options

fair enough. why do you feel that if something isn't supported by multiple peer-reviewed studies, that it's necessarily wrong? that's a fallacy as well.

It's a little thing called "preponderance of evidence".

If you make a claim (ie "aspartame is harmful"), and the preponderance of evidence shows this claim to be false, then your claim is most-likely false.

Science does not deal in absolutes, so although there may be a chance that your claim is true despite the evidence to the contrary, there is no reason to believe it to be so.
  • NikoM5
    Options

Again, things I've never stated.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Again, things I've never stated.

you called things that are non-scientific "quackery"

what did you mean by that, then?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

If you make a claim (ie "aspartame is harmful"), and the preponderance of evidence shows this claim to be false, then your claim is most-likely false.

Science does not deal in absolutes, so although there may be a chance that your claim is true despite the evidence to the contrary, there is no reason to believe it to be so.

but to say flat out that aspartame is "safe" is just as fallacious as saying it absolutely isn't. the truth is that - yes, scientific studies have shown it to be safe in normal doses, and unsafe in large doses, but NO STUDY has been done as to the LONG-TERM affects of a lifetime of drinking diet coke!

I've always said that it's the better logical choice not to drink it, given that drinking it can only possibly cause harm (even if the possibility is remote), while not drinking it, cannot cause harm.

but this argument's being had in another thread. so... OP... I'll say it again - good for you. :smile:
  • NikoM5
    Options

you called things that are non-scientific "quackery"

what did you mean by that, then?

NaBroski explains it best here...

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

I don't know what else is going on in this thread but I wanted to say those who have quit soda, keep up the good fight!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I've decided to quit. Cold turkey-like. I've been drinking easily a liter a day for a decade or more (except when I've lacked access to it-international travel, mainly! :tongue: ) It's one of those things I've been telling myself I need to do and just never have attempted it. Two days ago, I saw a documentary and they talked about the side effects of artificial sweeteners and it really opened my eyes. I need to quit now! I finished off my 2 liter yesterday and now I'm done. I drank plenty of water this morning and a cup of coffee to get me going and I feel just fine so far. Wish me luck...

I noticed a dramatic increase in fat loss when I stopped doing diet soda and all other artificial sweetners. Hope you experience the same.
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    Drinking a can of Diet Coke as I read this thread... I regret nothing.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Drinking a can of Diet Coke as I read this thread... I regret nothing.

lol! I'm a diet rootbeer girl...although I only have it every once is a while. Drinking one now but the last one was...3 days ago?
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Something I started recently that helps me keep my water levels up:

Get a Nalgene, or any other water bottle with ounce/millileter measurements on the side. My husband and I decided to take the "at least 8 cups of water a day" challenge (that's two nalgenes worth of water) and we message each other, n1 500ml (first nalgene, down to 500ml) n2 200 (second nalgene, down to 200ml) , n1 0 (finished off the first nalgene) etc.

It keeps us accountable and since I have a fiercely competitive spirit with weird stuff, it keeps me motivated. We've actually found that we're now getting closer to 10 or 12 cups of water in too, since we usually finish off the 8 cups before 4pm and we work out in the evening. For those that care (probably nobody but that's fine), we're 1:1 today. Hubby finished his first bottle before me, and I reached the end of the second bottle before him, with him almost done at n2 200. And in the end, we both win regardless of the "score". ^o^

That being said, I can't remember the last time that I drank pop... :blushing: