McDonalds?

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    but i'd rather be on the side that eats real food, because call me crazy - but if i'm wrong 50 years from now, I'm no worse off. If YOU'RE wrong, you're screwed.

is this incorrect logic?

yes. its logical fallacy. circular reasoning.

or, there may be a better match among these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

... that's not circular reasoning...

your are making up a premise: "if you eat fast food, then in 50 years you will be screwed". and you're saying that in case it happens to be true, then it's true.

you can't just make stuff up and say just in case i'm right my premise is true.

maybe it's not circular reasoning. but it's certainly a fallacy.

if any logicians are watching (i don't know why they would be), then can correct us.

ETA: unless you were making a joke ... "this isn't circular reasoning because it isn't circular reasoning"

nah, circular reasoning is "a is true because b is true; b is true because a is true"

and no, I'm not making up a premise. see if you can follow:

If you're right, and eating whole foods gives you no benefit over eating processed foods, the fact that I've eaten whole foods for 50 years won't harm me, correct?

If I'm right, (even if you don't believe it to be very likely) and eating processed foods ends up being worse than eating whole foods, the fact that you've eaten processed foods for 50 years WILL harm you, correct?

which is the safer bet?

You are making up a premise: eating processed foods [in some frequency which you do not even define. "there's no hard and fast rule"], then you WILL HAVE HARM COME TO YOU.

We're not talking safer bets, we're talking logic, remember?

right! I'm not making up a premise, I'm comparing BOTH of our premises. yours is that it makes no difference, mine is that it has a negative impact.

do you want me to update it with "eating a diet that contains primarily processed foods"?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    GO Coach Reddy! :drinker:

I eat McDonald's once a month. JUST two fish sandwiches, light tarter, add pickles, only half the bun. So bad for me, but it is my fun treat. Love! I just would never admit this to anyone I know in the REAL world.

Enjoy your fish sandwiches. They're not bad for you.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    but i'd rather be on the side that eats real food, because call me crazy - but if i'm wrong 50 years from now, I'm no worse off. If YOU'RE wrong, you're screwed.

is this incorrect logic?

yes. its logical fallacy. circular reasoning.

or, there may be a better match among these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

... that's not circular reasoning...

your are making up a premise: "if you eat fast food, then in 50 years you will be screwed". and you're saying that in case it happens to be true, then it's true.
    His starting presumption is that his way of eating is by default perfect or best, and all other ways are either inferior or, at most, equal. The rest of his house of cards is built upon that evidence-free assertion.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    right! I'm not making up a premise, I'm comparing BOTH of our premises. yours is that it makes no difference, mine is that it has a negative impact.

do you want me to update it with "eating a diet that contains primarily processed foods"?

that's just it. i could just as well flip the whole thing around and argue that eating processed foods and fast foods gives me a health edge over those who only eat whole foods. sound preposterous? that's because it is, and i am using the exact same reasoning as you. that's not logic. that's making *kitten* up. stop making **** up.
  • jonnythan
    Options

that's just it. i could just as well flip the whole thing around and argue that eating processed foods and fast foods gives me a health edge over those who only eat whole foods. sound preposterous? that's because it is, and i am using the exact same reasoning as you. that's not logic. that's making *kitten* up. stop making **** up.

It makes perfect sense that processing food before you eat it can be better. For instance, Coach here processes his flax seeds before consuming them by grinding them up to make the nutrients more available. I also see he eats a fair bit of processed whole wheat bread instead of handfuls of raw whole wheat.
  • taso42
    Options

It makes perfect sense that processing food before you eat it can be better. For instance, Coach here processes his flax seeds before consuming them by grinding them up to make the nutrients more available. I also see he eats a fair bit of processed whole wheat bread instead of handfuls of raw whole wheat.

I was thinking more along the lines that it makes me stronger, so my body is better able to deal with whatever wildcards life throws at me. Ever see that episode of married with children, where Jefferson ate the fast food and got really sick, but the Bundies did just fine with it?
  • jonnythan
    Options

I was thinking more along the lines that it makes me stronger, so my body is better able to deal with whatever wildcards life throws at me. Ever see that episode of married with children, where Jefferson ate the fast food and got really sick, but the Bundies did just fine with it?

Ah the ol "swam in raw sewage" argument. I like it. I use it myself. People ask me how I can eat four slices of greasy pizza covered in super hot sauce. "I spent my entire youth tempering my stomach with fried chicken and grandma's spicy jambalaya. Some pizza ain't nothin."
  • taso42
    Options

Ah the ol "swam in raw sewerage" argument. I like it. I use it myself. People ask me how I can eat four slices of greasy pizza covered in super hot sauce. "I spent my entire youth tempering my stomach with fried chicken and grandma's spicy jambalaya. Some pizza ain't nothin."

If we're right about this, Coach is gonna be really sorry in about 50 years. I'm willing to take that bet.
    LOGIC! Ta DAAAA!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I went gf 2 weeks ago to test sensitivities. When I do eat wheat bread (if I go back) its the least bad I can find, typically a bread at a local grocer that has like 5 or 6 ingedients - all real ingredients. But no, im not always perfect
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Ah the ol "swam in raw sewerage" argument. I like it. I use it myself. People ask me how I can eat four slices of greasy pizza covered in super hot sauce. "I spent my entire youth tempering my stomach with fried chicken and grandma's spicy jambalaya. Some pizza ain't nothin."

If we're right about this, Coach is gonna be really sorry in about 50 years. I'm willing to take that bet.
    LOGIC! Ta DAAAA!

Im not following.
  • AlmostAfloat
    AlmostAfloat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    McDonalds = Nom Nom Nom... Just don't eat it often
  • jonnythan
    Options

I went gf 2 weeks ago to test sensitivities. When I do eat wheat bread (if I go back) its the least bad I can find, typically a bread at a local grocer that has like 5 or 6 ingedients - all real ingredients. But no, im not always perfect

It's still processed. Bread is processed food, period.
  • taso42
    Options

LOGIC! Ta DAAAA!

Im not following.

What do you mean? It's your same exact argument, back at ya. "My way of eating is better than your way of eating because of [made up reason]"
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    yep, once and a while ain't a big deal. :)

now we're back to once in a while is ok? again?

To be honest, I'm confused about this too. One moment he's saying it's okay and he does it now and again...but then he goes into "no, it's crap and so on and so on..."

The OP was just really asking if it was okay to go wild this once (to just sum it up). Most of the people that are "defending fast food" are really more fighting against the "all or nothing" mentality. Why beat one's self up just for having that pizza, that burger, or that egg mcmuffin?

Is eating fast food now and again really going to mark us automatically for health problems? Is that one burger going to end up making us pay for it in "50 years"...no. That's just ridiculous and would go against the fact that the body cleanses itself on a regular basis.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    :laugh: This is still going....deary me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    For the record, I've been eating McDonald's about once a week since the age of 8. We had one right around the corner from my parent's house (it's still there) and when I was in elementary school (also around the corner from the McDonald's) we were allowed to eat lunch off the school grounds (this was in 1972-1975) so me and my buds went to McDonald's every Friday.
    At age 49 and eating it at least once a week, I don't suffer from illness or disease or rotting insides, high cholesterol, high BP, bad lipid profiles,etc. So if people who claim that eating it is going to **** you up in 10, 20, 30, 40 years, then I must be a special snowflake................................along with my younger and older brother, cousin and other friends that are still alive while frequenting there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

you should come live in the middle east.... the bread I buy from my local shop has only 2 or 3 ingredients. flour, water and some varieties contain sugar
  • CoachReddy
    Options

To be honest, I'm confused about this too. One moment he's saying it's okay and he does it now and again...butt then he goes into "no, it's crap and so on and so on..."

The OP was just really asking if it was okay to go wild this once (to just sum it up). Most of the people that are "defending fast food" are really more fighting against the "all or nothing" mentality. Why beat one's self up just for having that pizza, that burger, or that egg mcmuffin?

Is eating fast food now and again really going to mark us automatically for health problems? Is that one burger going to end up making us pay for it in "50 years"...no. That's just ridiculous and would go against the fact that the body cleanses itself on a regular basis.

Ive maintained the same position.

1) fast food is fine once in a while if you have a hankering for it. I do agree with you guys that you shouldn't deprive yourself of things you enjoy... but I dont know what the threshold is. Frankly, if all your other food is good stuff, once a week like niner probably wont make a significant difference, if any. I dont do it that often, but its also because I dont want it that often.

2) it's still crap. Regarless of what amount is ok, it's still bad, processed food with minimal nutritional value. That doesn't change no matter how often is "okay" to eat it.

3) not once have I said one burger will have you paying for it in 50 years.

4) eating a diet that is primarily comprised of processed foods may result in significant issues/risks down the road

You all hear what you want to hear.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

To be honest, I'm confused about this too. One moment he's saying it's okay and he does it now and again...butt then he goes into "no, it's crap and so on and so on..."

1) fast food is fine once in a while if you have a hankering for it. I do agree with you guys that you shouldn't deprive yourself of things you enjoy... but I dont know what the threshold is. Frankly, if all your other food is good stuff, once a week like niner probably wont make a significant difference, if any. I dont do it that often, but its also because I dont want it that often.

2) it's still crap. Regarless of what amount is ok, it's still bad, processed food with minimal nutritional value. That doesn't change no matter how often is "okay" to eat it.

4) eating a diet that is primarily comprised of processed foods may result in significant issues/risks down the road

Practice what you preach, your diet is comprised of mostly processed foods
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Practice what you preach, your diet is comprised of mostly processed foods

it's really not.

and the foods that are are minimally processed. (yes, flame away, but there's a difference)