Master Cleanse

Options

Replies

• Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options

When I was little, I thought Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben were married.

:heart:

This is the best part of this thread.
  • MarleeRayne
    MarleeRayne Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!
    This thread made me feel like an only child in the midst of an ugly custody battle.
    Mommy and Daddy please don't fight :sad:

:laugh:
  • julialou1979
    julialou1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Do people really think aunt jemima is real maple syrup? is this weird? is it a canadian thing that we don't count that as real?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Do people really think aunt jemima is real maple syrup? is this weird? is it a canadian thing that we don't count that as real?

Not a Canadian thing. Aunt Jemima and Mrs. Butterworth's are "pancake" syrup. Neither website proclaim them as maple nor do their labels. But I know a lot of people who prefer them to real maple syrup. Maybe THAT'S an American thing?

I don't see how either type of syrup would be effective at cleansing your body though.
  • julialou1979
    julialou1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    well it kinda 'cleanses' the tree when the tap it and drain the sap to make syrup... maybe that's the connection?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    A bag of prunes, a bag of almonds, water and a magazine to read on the ****ter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Coffee gives me a really good "cleanse" every day at about 930am. :-)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    SR named it. It was Grade B and not plain. That is your answer. The other one is sea salt.

Wait, THAT was the information you were holding out on? THAT was it? God, that's such a let down. I was expecting something fantastic, like unicorn's breath or tears of virgins or something.

Seriously? You pitched a fit and didn't answer FOR PAGES for.......grade B syrup? Really?

That's how you get your kicks? Yeesh, lady. Maybe you do need that cleanse.

*Disclaimer*

For the record I only quoted the actual recipe in order to confirm to the cleansing fan (Lorilyn) that I had indeed done my research and had a copy of the book.

The book was given to me while a health journalist by a 'holistic practitioner' who tried to convince me to give the 'cleanse' a go. A doctor and dietician I spoke to - along with my own knowledge of human biology - convinced me there was no benefit to the Master Cleanse so I did not do it. I also researched what was so magical about the syrup (I was advised to use Madal Bal) and while there was lots of talk of "high nutritional value" I could find no actual list of what is in the syrup that makes it somehow superior to other syrups. Basically, the syrup provide carbs so you don't get too light-headed while doing the 'cleanse' - plain sugar water will do the same thing.

I know people who fast for spiritual reasons and I have absolutely no problem with that (though most of them just drink water for up to three days). What I find worrying about the Master Cleanse is erroneous claims made about the outcomes and the length of time recommended to be on it. Your body needs nourishment, which is does very well by processing food.

If you want a good 'cleanse' then, as others have recommended, drink plenty of water as standard, eat prunes, drink coffee, eat leafy green veg. Works for me! If you have the need for additional fibre in your diet then psyllium husk can be a useful supplement too getting things moving too. Have digestive issues or yeast infections that that simply won't go away? See a doctor.

(And I can't believe on getting up this morning that this thread is still running! Not a bad thing - I'd much rather that anyone searching the forums for advice found correct information and two sides of the story so they can make up their minds as to whether to do it).

** Edited for typos
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    SR named it. It was Grade B and not plain. That is your answer. The other one is sea salt.
    You do realize that the grades of Maple Syrup are only related to it's translucence, right? They are not chemically different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_syrup

They are graded based on flavor and nutrition. You're welcome. Plain maple syrup like Aunt Jami-ma's won't work. It must be pure Grade B Maple Syrup. If the grade didn't matter, he wouldn't have specified.

Laughing at Aunt Jemima's being maple syrup.....
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mh32787rQ31s2hvieo1_500.gif
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I think I love you. :love:
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options

I think I love you. :love:

Thank you.
    tumblr_m7jjelhWdu1r3zat8.gif
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    And the Pop Tart thread gets locked...

*headdesk*
  • angelh1908
    angelh1908 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    eat in a deficit and work out ...you will lose weight..

Fad diets only lead to temp weight loss followed by gain back..

^^^^THIS^^^^

Been there, done that! I've done the Master Cleanse diet twice before, and have concluded I will NEVER do it again. Yes, you will lose weight, but unless you adopt the lifestyle that the creator recommends in his Master Cleanse book, you will not only gain the weight back, you will gain much more of it back. And potentially have a harder time getting the additional weight off. Trust me, I've done it!

Although, I believe you've made up your mind and you're going to do it anyway....hope it goes well.
    THIS is the problem! She called it a "diet". It is NOT a diet, nor is it intended as a diet for weight loss. It is a cleanse. The weight loss is a bonus. You must do it with the mind set you are "cleansing" in order to succeed.

I was once going to do it for a diet to lose weight. I was desperate and yet couldn't stay motivated past four hours on the plan. Then one day I got very sick and the sickness wouldn't go away. I suffered a lot. I took meds. Nothing helped. So I started doing extensive research to cure myself which miraculously let me to the Master Cleanse (again). That "thing" I viewed a "diet". I was so desperate to quit feeling ill that I tried the cleanse in desperation to heal. It worked. I stayed motivated through having a true goal that was very important to me. I did do an ease into it though. It makes the difference. Begin eliminating bad foods prior to the cleanse such as soda, sugar, bread. I then replaced snacks with the mixture. I did this for three days and lost 9 lbs ((gulp)). I cleansed on and lost more weight. I have only gained 4 lbs of it back and it has been nearly a year. I felt so energetic. The way I felt and still feel is what made me a believer. When I read about it (all the reviews, the pros and cons) I was a skeptic, when I was desperate, I tried it as a last resort and then became a believer based on experience. You can't deny your own experiences.

Regardless of whether I call it a diet or a cleanse, the results are the same. To be quite honest, the first time I did the CLEANSE, I lasted on it for 23 days, with no headaches, no illness or pain associated with it whatsoever. When I came off of it, I gained the weight back and tons more, and it took what seems like forever to get it off again. The second time I tried the CLEANSE, which was at minimum 2-3 years later, I gagged every time I attempted to drink the mixture. I gave up after about day 3 or 4, and even with that small cleanse, I gained more weight back than I lost.

If the goal is to rid your body of toxins, great, go for it. But my point is, if you're not ready to eat according to the plan afterwards, you WILL gain the pounds back, plus some more.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I would SO DO a pop tart cleanse. :laugh:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

In for Pop Tart cleanse.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

In for Pop Tart cleanse.
    Um. Where do you put the ice cream?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

In for Pop Tart cleanse.

Helps lubricate the pop tarts
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

In for Pop Tart cleanse.

Helps lubricate the pop tarts
    Why would you need to lubricate...
    OMG where do you put those???
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    I wonder if they make a frozen yogurt or ice cream one??