Thigh gap - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Options

Replies

• PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    ^^^ @ DontStopB_Lea
    Couldn't have said it any better myself!!!

I am 5 foot 1 and my hips are very wide and in my senior year of HS, at a pretty overweight 152 pounds, I had a thigh gap... I was not unfeminine and I found myself highly attractive..

Making a statement like "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" then body shaming women who most likely have no control over if they have a gap between their legs is unfeminine and very unattractive.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    The reason thigh gap is sought after:

thigh-gap-13.jpg?w=500
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I find it sexy, and it's a small thing I'd like to achieve for myself. Is it sexier to have your thighs rub together all the time and make your skin break out? How is it sexy to see your thighs mashed next to each other in a bathing suit? Maybe it's just me, but I'd love for my thighs to be slimmer.

Someone who has the opposite opinion to me. QUICK. HATE ON THEM. "You must be so insecure with your own life...blah blah blah."

But seriously, thank you. A sensible answer!

Funny how the other "sensible" post is also body shaming.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    It is a personal opinion. I also happen to think people that are so overweight that all their curves are overwhelmed by obesity isn't partiuclarly a femine look or attactive either. Everyone has personal prefences. You can't start saying that I can't say that a thigh gap is unattractive. To me it is. Clearly to others it is not. I am interested to why. Is it that you like the way it looks? Or is it something more like a demonstration of achievement, I guess in the same way building muscle might be....?

Surely you have to be at a really low body weight and really low muscle mass, in addition to the right body shape, to achieve a thigh gap?

OP, why would you start a thread to body shame? It's absolutely disgusting and I'm ashamed to be a fellow woman. Who cares? Why don't you worry about your own health and quit telling people your opinion about their bodies?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Why you gotta hate?
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I always think "nutcracker" or "tweezers" when I see this. But I feel happy when my own thighs stop rubbing together....
  • beebop85
    beebop85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hating on other women's bodies is wrong, and needs to stop. Whether or not you have a thigh gap depends on your bone structure. Some women will have one even when their body fat percentage is quite high (e.g. high end of the normal range) - others will not have one even at 13% body fat.

Calling it "unfeminine" and "unattractive" is not really fair on women who naturally have one. Maybe a thigh gap looks bad on someone who starved themselves ridiculously underweight to get one..... but they look good on women who have them naturally when their body composition is healthy.

This is one thing I really can't stand.... when women of one body type hate on women with another body type.... it's all over MFP. Why can't you learn to love yourselves without putting others down in the process?

^^^ This! Everyone is different shapes and sizes who is anyone to say what is unfeminine and what isnt?
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    whoever is offended on this thread obviously have thigh gaps.
    Wrong.

I do not have thigh gap. I will never have thigh gap. My legs, at their smallest, and likely their most emaciated state, only got down to 19.5 inches. My hips are not wide enough for thigh gap. For me personally, thigh gap is not an aesthetic I wish to achieve.

But notice how I said, "For me personally". I have seen numerous strong, healthy women with thigh gap. They have thigh gap not because they are "frail" or "too skinny", they have it simply because that's how they are built.

For the OP and anyone else to body shame those women, simply because the OP doesn't find it to be an attractive aesthetic to her PERSONALLY, is ludicrous, hurtful, and uncalled for.

And yes, it's offensive, too.

Women come in all shapes and sizes, and I wish that people would finally realize that. If you don't find one of those particular shapes or sizes attractive, fine. That's okay. What's not okay is shaming other women simply to make yourself feel better.
    +1

+2
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I basically have one

<----unattractive and unfeminine

I sure wish I could be beautiful and feminine like other girls :sad: :sad:

ha.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The reason thigh gap is sought after:

thigh-gap-13.jpg?w=500

Hey I have that same phone.. its a piece of CRAP!
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Not all thigh gaps look super skinny like that. As long as your legs are muscular and you're not bony I think thigh gap is attractive. Plus, it's more comfortable! I get one as soon as I get below 155 and LOVE it. No more holes in the thighs of my pants.

Second this!!

Thigh gaps can be very attractive! The picture the OP posted does shame for those with great thigh gaps!

75503_476547712399887_396802208_n.jpg

how is that unattractive!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Op, you are entitled to your own opinions. The method this was stated was the source of contention. It is no different than saying "I think women who are over 5'10" are unattractive. The ones who check in at 6' feel like you are saying they are insta-ugly and there's no hope for them. The ones who are 5'9 but like to wear heels are now wondering if they need to stick to flats.

For me... I don't give a rats *kitten* if one person hates an aspect about me. If pages and pages are filled with that hatred, a seed of doubt is planted... and that doubt is what gets us everytime.

For me personally... I like having strong legs. When I gain weight, it hits first in my upper thighs. I havent had any sort of "gap" until last year, and I was thrilled when I got it because it meant I'd lost that fat. I've lost the gap again amd regained the fat, so I aspire to get the gap back - but ONLY BECAUSE IT IS AN EFFECTIVE MEASURING TOOL.

Beauty is the package of the person... the spirit, smile, soul, heart and waaaay at the end (in my opinion) the looks. The gap is inconsequential in terms of overall attractiveness.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I find it sexy, and it's a small thing I'd like to achieve for myself. Is it sexier to have your thighs rub together all the time and make your skin break out? How is it sexy to see your thighs mashed next to each other in a bathing suit? Maybe it's just me, but I'd love for my thighs to be slimmer.

I've never had a thigh gap. I will never have a thigh gap. My thighs don't break out when they rub together. When people see me in a swimsuit, they don't vomit at the sight of my thighs mashed together. Not all people without a thigh gap look gross. If someone has less than amazing thighs, it ain't because they're lacking a thigh gap.
  • stella1314
    stella1314 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think this is a very lovely figure, but this girl doesnt know how to look pretty, she just has a bad taste.
    OMG, if i only be that thin....
    There is such a big market for jeans,and to look like that is just stupid....
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    *waits for all the guys to come on and say otherwise*

I think you're more likely to have women coming in here and saying otherwise actually.

I think if a woman wants a gap between her legs she should just open them.

#winning

hahhaah. but seriously, i just want to be as fit and healthy as i can be. if i can have flat abs, strong arms and legs, better endurance, renewed confidence, THEN WHO CARES ABOUT A THIGH GAP? i would only want a teeny tiny one so i don't get all this effing chafing when i'm in a bathing suit. ha.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    A thigh gap is neither attractive or unattractive for me. It's something I've never noticed on someone in my entire life.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    A thigh gap is neither attractive or unattractive for me. It's something I've never noticed on someone in my entire life.

THIS except that it is something I sometimes notice SINCE joining MFP. Never heard or thought of it prior to MFP.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Working on this post - may take a few edits...
    2d4e0ec1-a85a-4322-b804-11316aeca416_zps5b0f6aeb.jpg999ed0c5-b923-44cd-b447-a7048e877f5e_zpsb58f40e1.jpgcfe24a16-9aff-4fb1-9621-914c4e01db2b_zps6e9ec34e.jpgf76158d8-0ba8-415f-a4c5-e9c981fb275d_zps65555f9a.jpg
    ^^ attractive?........... ^^ not attractive?... ^^standing comfy....^^flexed

The point I'm trying to make on these pics...
    the first one, I had my butt tucked in, and my 'gap' is not visible... am I attractive because of it?
    the second one, I had to push my butt out a bit and rotate my hips... but ooooh I see a gap! am I attractive because of it?
    the third one... I was standing comfortably, without my feet touching, and look a gap appears. Is this attractive?

When looking for the "gap", you are "supposed" to stand with your feet touching ('rules")... well WHO STANDS THAT WAY in their normal lives? yeah, I thought so.

Lastly, of all the pics, the one I like the best is the one that is flexed, because it shows strength. And strength TO ME is what is attractive. Is there a gap, isn't there, who knows?

WFC whether there is a hint of white space between the legs when standing...really...

NOTE: I cropped out my feet... cuz they're big... and big feet are unattractive. ;)
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Working on this post - may take a few edits...
    2d4e0ec1-a85a-4322-b804-11316aeca416_zps5b0f6aeb.jpg999ed0c5-b923-44cd-b447-a7048e877f5e_zpsb58f40e1.jpgcfe24a16-9aff-4fb1-9621-914c4e01db2b_zps6e9ec34e.jpg
    ^^ attractive?........... ^^ not attractive?... ^^standing comfy...........

Mirey, you are beautiful inside and out!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

THIS except that it is something I sometimes notice SINCE joining MFP. Never heard or thought of it prior to MFP.

Right? I STILL don't notice it in real life, even if a chick is wearing skinny jeans. I'm just not looking that hard at crotches.
This discussion has been closed.