Cardio doesn't burn fat!!!

Options

Replies

• squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm done with this thread.

What?! All that effort to create the ultimate troll and you're quitting after only 9 pages? Something tells me you'll be back.

It's all the cardio he's skipped – he doesn't have the cardiovascular health for a marathon thread.

Hah! Boom.
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Try being a chick for a week, being allowed to eat say 1200 calories (i.e. that means eating sweet bugger all in the way of food.. even healthy food).. then try being an active chick.. It sucks!! It's not about being able to eat junk food, its about being able to eat 3 meals a day without living on lettuce.

I burnt over 1500 calories mountain biking today.. will probably eat back about 500 of those so I don't starve tomorrow.. BUT I will still lose weight this week.. I do cardio 3 - 4 times a week and weight lifting twice a week, but have found the weight loss has increased hugely since I added more cardio.

Exercise burns calories.. if you haven't eaten those calories, then they are taken from fat stores and to a smaller degree from muscle mass.. but this isn't an issue if you continue to weight train.

Your post really made me think. Cardio does seem like borderline eating disorder in a way too, burning calories and then eating them. It's like binging and purging, except you do the purging before the binging lol

So what you are implying is that you eat 1800 or less calories per day, coz that is what the average male needs, any more than this and you too are exercising in order to eat more..

FYI long term low body fat is associated with short life span.. just saying...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    WELL THAT IS FUKIN BULL****
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    WELL THAT IS FUKIN BULL****

:) yupp
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    All studies done on aerobics show that they don't significantly accelerate fat loss than dieting alone. .

This is incorrect.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/113/12/1831.abstract <-- that's one, I can provide thirty others.

You still don't get it. Show me one study where the diet of the subjects was controlled during the experiment. Obviously without controlling your diet, cardio will reduce calories resulting in fat loss. But if your net calories by the end of the day are the same with or without cardio you will lose the same amount of fat. I'm tired of repeating myself. I'm done with this thread.

Ah, what is this "still"? You started off the thread with an inaccurate statement. I was pointing that out.
    In the scheme of things, what you are saying here is again only partially correct. At constant controlled net calories the amount of weight loss is pretty constant. Yes. That is sort of the big picture but your absolutist position is weak.
    However, you are incorrect to group all cardio together for all individuals - for overweight individuals some cardio can be the equivalent of resistance training, for those with low BMR, small or with various metabolic conditions cardio can crate a calorie deficit which when filled for equivalent net calories provides additional nutrients which in turn reduce the risk of binging and for individuals like me who do high adrenalinogenic cardio a few times a month it keeps us from depression and compensation eating.
    Aside from cardio fitness a variety of activities are fun and allow us to acquire special skill sets, I don't care how well you lift or strength train (something I enjoy) it will not teach you to jump a superman or climb a 5.8. Being active burns fat and keeps us fit.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    All studies done on aerobics show that they don't significantly accelerate fat loss than dieting alone. Why then whenever someone wants to lose fat or "get abs" they jump on the elliptical and start swinging and sweating thinking it's a great idea?? The only benefit is basically allowing you to eat more food. That's it. I doubt they're doing it for the cardiovascular benefits either. So if by the end of the day you're at a caloric deficit, you will lose the same amount of fat with or without cardio.

Weight lifting on the other hand has been shown to accelerate fat loss by up to 50% than dieting alone or dieting and cardio. I really genuinely feel sad when I see someone doing an hour or two of cardio on my news feed, and it's for all the wrong reasons..

Kickboxing is considered cardio.. so is Zumba and step.. but I do an awful lot of squats, and lunges and resistance exercising using my body weight against me in them.. I also swim and bicycle.. all cardio that incorporates muscle.. oh and I lift.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I do cardio so when zombies or a kidnapper chases after me, I can out run them. Seems beneficial to me.

yupp. I've lost 23 pounds in about 3 months, diet and cardio, no weight lifting...soo....yeah....I guess I'll keep dropping in weight but stay fat forever, cuz according to this guy I'm doing it wrong *rolls eyes*
    It may not be true in your case but even though you lost weight it could be a combination of fat and muscle. You may weigh less but have the same body fat %
  • nfrewin
    nfrewin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do cardio so when zombies or a kidnapper chases after me, I can out run them. Seems beneficial to me.

LOL exactly!!
  • Mazstermarion
    Mazstermarion Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well as a newbie on this sight, this post was very helpful as Ive been deligently running away and wandering why Im not losing wright how I had hoped so Thanks for the new insight!
  • mommycordillia
    Options

yupp. I've lost 23 pounds in about 3 months, diet and cardio, no weight lifting...soo....yeah....I guess I'll keep dropping in weight but stay fat forever, cuz according to this guy I'm doing it wrong *rolls eyes*
    It may not be true in your case but even though you lost weight it could be a combination of fat and muscle. You may weigh less but have the same body fat %

I have lost some body fat, my tummy has gone down a lot, I'm still obese, but less. I had messurement taken the other day at my gym, and my tummy is about 5 inches less than it was when I started, I may not be losing fast with just cardio, but I am losing.

I know everyone is different so I'm not trying to say he's wrong. but for me cardio is doing something, and I'm not gonna stop cardio and just lift weights because he said so.
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options

For a large person who has been reasonably sedentary for an extended period of time starting out in exercise, they will have a very high body fat percentage and very low muscle mass, any general exercise will assist in increasing muscle mass as resistance is caused by their own weight. Therefore as they are constantly building muscle it is unlikely that the weight loss is from a reduction in muscle mass. That's just logic.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Muscle loss during weight loss almost never results in constant bf%. While ideally it is best to minimize LBM loss, body fat % will not remain constant it just won't be optimized.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    swordfight.gif
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Ok.

My partner is overweight. She has been doing 30mjns on elliptical every other day. She is definitely pushing herself and is eating a well balanced diet. She has lost 9lbs in 7 weeks.

I have encouraged her to lift weights to help lose inches.

Are you saying she would not need cardio at all? That just by lifting weights she would lose weight ?

I think it's important that she build up a level of cardio endurance as it makes everyday things easier to achieve. Like walking. Playing with the dogs. Are you saying she would achieve "fitness" without any cardio at all ??

I'm intrigued.
  • x3na1401
    Options
    swordfight.gif

This is funny
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Deer have barley any fat. They must be liftin heavy when we cant see them.
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    Ok.

My partner is overweight. She has been doing 30mjns on elliptical every other day. She is definitely pushing herself and is eating a well balanced diet. She has lost 9lbs in 7 weeks.

I have encouraged her to lift weights to help lose inches.

Are you saying she would not need cardio at all? That just by lifting weights she would lose weight ?

I think it's important that she build up a level of cardio endurance as it makes everyday things easier to achieve. Like walking. Playing with the dogs. Are you saying she would achieve "fitness" without any cardio at all ??

I'm intrigued.
    I think what the op is implying is a lot of people do cardio in hopes of loosing fat BUT they still eat above their maintenance level.
    Yes she could loose weight without cardio provided she was at a calorie deficit. If she enjoys doing cardio in order to make life more manageable then there is no harm.
  • x3na1401
    Options
    You are missing my point. Are you saying she *doesnt* need any cardio? That she would lose weight if she started lifting alone?

I'm sorry I always believed cardio was the way to burn fat and weights to build muscle. As you cannot turn fat into muscle I'm not sure how this could be more beneficial than a mix of cardio and weights in someone who is overweight.

I understand that muscle burns more calories than fat, but would it burn more than 30 mins cross trainer 4 times a week ?

Thanks
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    Exactly. She doesn't need any cardio to loose weight. She could lift weight to maintain or even increase her LBM and go on a calorie deficit too loose weight. She can do the cardio for the health benefits.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Excuse me? Cardio does not equal fat loss? I'm sorry to point you out as wrong...but you are.

I've lost ALL my weight from cardio alone. I've only been lifting for about 2 weeks. I've lost 34kg in 7 months through nothing but cardio. So explain to me how it does not work? Cardio not only burns fat, but makes you hella lean & gives you fitness that weights cant do alone. I doubt a heavy lifter who has ONLY dont weight can run 10km in under an hour & still breathe normal during the whole time.