Cardio doesn't burn fat!!!

Options

Replies

• volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    dfxcfd ctdcertd hkihbjvderd rtd yfvkujgbhj,hj ygyuguyiluytrydtdcyfukguykgukgufrtdert
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Excuse me? Cardio does not equal fat loss? I'm sorry to point you out as wrong...but you are.

I've lost ALL my weight from cardio alone. I've only been lifting for about 2 weeks. I've lost 34kg in 7 months through nothing but cardio. So explain to me how it does not work? Cardio not only burns fat, but makes you hella lean & gives you fitness that weights cant do alone. I doubt a heavy lifter who has ONLY dont weight can run 10km in under an hour & still breathe normal during the whole time.

I found it incredible too !
    I would like to see an example of someone who has lost a lot of weight and gained fitness without cardio. Anyone?
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Cardio does have it's place. If you are doing cardio to maintain or increase heart health or improve endurance then yes cardio is for you, but diet trumps cardio for fat loss.
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    I lost more fat by stopping cardio and incorporating intermittent fasting then I did eating normally along with cardio.
  • x3na1401
    Options
    I see. You are referring to people who eat more than they burn.

That is also true of muscular people. I know men who are strong but fat so they must eat their way through the weight lifting they do also.

Actually this topic is really interesting to me. I think everyone has their own methods. I like to incorporate that knowledge into her training and diet as she has never been able to lose weight before without following crappy diets like Cambridge and Atkins etc...

We doing cal deficit / exercise and following 5:2. This way of eating does allow her little treats on up days and she doesn't feel the need to binge on chocolate or sweets.

I will definitely be increasing the lifting this week.
    We shall see what difference it makes.

How exactly do weights make you lose inches but not weight ?
  • x3na1401
    Options
    I lost more fat by stopping cardio and incorporating intermittent fasting then I did eating normally along with cardio.

Yes! We are doing this too ! It's really working for her and I'm ten pounds down too.
  • x3na1401
    Options
    I have been doing 20 mins circuit training and I definitely feel stronger AND fitter. Perhaps a mix of cardio
    and weights is the best for fat loss?
    Thoughts ?
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    this is a very silly thread.

i'm going to go paint my toenails!
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    I have been doing 20 mins circuit training and I definitely feel stronger AND fitter. Perhaps a mix of cardio
    and weights is the best for fat loss?
    Thoughts ?
    It would help. IF you are doing both back to back, do the weights first.
  • pattypureheart
    pattypureheart Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I enjoy both cardio and strength training. However, as another poster has said - you seem confused.

And I'm one of those who actually enjoy cardio BECAUSE of the cardiovascular benefits. I love the way my breathing feels after a good run. My entire respiratory system feels clear and healthy for the day. I love the sound of my heart trying to pump out as much blood as it can.

I also run because I get a high from it. As a recovering drug addict, the high I get from a good run is paramount to staying sober.

So knock on cardio all you want, but knock on it to yourself, please.

It's good you enjoy cardio. But I think 90% of people look at it as torture. Ask any random overweight person at your gym how "high" they're feeling while they huff and puff on the treadmill, their facial expression should give you an idea.

I find myself being that special snowflake alot on here for some reason..... but I truly enjoy endurance cardio, yes the whole huffing and puffing thing, yep love that.... I understand the concept of what you are saying but coming from being home bound for over 2 years and eating myself to 560 lbs. and now 46 months later down 300+ lbs, and spite bad knee's actually enjoying cardio (swimming, elliptical, rowing, whatever it may be) I definitely am not going to give it up anytime soon... Oh and I too enjoy picking stuff up and putting it down 3 to 4 times a week.

ED, 300+pounds?!?! How absolutely great!!! First time I've seen you here... would love to hear your story.

As for the topic ... yeah I want to start lifting seriously but the stamina and flexibility not to mention the many other benefits of cardio can't seriously be disputed... can they?
  • peasandyou
    Options
    Cardio DOES help you loose weight ....

I'm 35 years old BF% 18 and weigh 9 stone.

I don't lift I just swim a mile a day and walk my dogs for around 2 hours.

This time last year I was 16 stone.

I have not lifted anything heavier than a medium sized dog during the whole time ......

Cardio = GOOD :)
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    they did this weird science type stuff,
    where they measured CO2 or something,
    and calculated the exact amount of calories burned.

but then they found out that the calories only come from body fat if you're lifting. if you're running then the calorie faries use their magic dust to fuel your muscles, thus preventing any fat loss.

damn those calorie fairies!
  • Briszler75
    Briszler75 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do cardio so when zombies or a kidnapper chases after me, I can out run them. Seems beneficial to me.

:D
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    actually there should be a mixture of cardio and weight training, i'm over 200lbs if weight training were my only form of exercise i'd look like a beefed up man. no thanks :indifferent:
    I weigh more than you and do weight training only. The only other exercise I do is incidental (walking around at work, going for lunch, shopping, etc) and I look NOTHING like a man.
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Who cares?? Lets choose our role models , listen to their stories, pay attention to their lifestyles. Adapt to and take on their
    good habits where possible.Test ourselves to see if it works!
    Or should we sit on fat arses ooooing and ahhhing at the latest scientific study!:indifferent:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    this is a very silly thread.

i'm going to go paint my toenails!

Sounds far more productive than going over this AGAIN.

For the love of god.

If you like to do cardio then do it.

If you don't then don't.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Self righteous a-hole who likes to tell other people what to do
  • AlanTuring
    AlanTuring Posts: 159
    Options
    Self righteous a-hole who likes to tell other people what to do
    I never thought I'd see such a thing on MFP!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Many people seem to just enjoy cardio in a sadistic type of way so much that they miss the whole point of my post. Let me restate it again in a way a grade 5 kid would hopefully understand:

If by the end of the day you're at an x net calorie intake, it will not make a difference in terms of body composition whether or not you had done cardio that day. HOWEVER, if you do weight lifting while still at that same x net calorie intake, you will end up with less fat, more muscle than if you had not.
    The word you're looking for is masochistic. I've not heard of many cardio sadists, though that would be interesting.

They're usually known as High School PE Teachers in the UK.

Would love to know how people improve their co ordination, flexibility, balance and aerobic capacity for such things as dance or running from just weights. I've seen people lift loads but then struggle to get upstairs without three rests to catch their breath.

I actually quite like some cardio. Running (when I am able to do it properly) is an amazing feeling. As is pulling a great time of the rower. Swimming is good, too. Admittedly, cycling is just moving your feet a bit whilst sitting down, but until I am strong and light enough to run without breaking or snapping something, I'll be listening to my zombie app and my music on that treadmill and I don't give a flying frack if my face looks happy, sad or in the final stages of rabies as I do it.

And then I'll go and hit the weights.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    So much for getting your Target HR in the fat burning zone. This is why most meatheads have terrible endurance (just watch the heavyweights in mma). They may hit you harder but they'll never catch you. Suckers!