Cardio doesn't burn fat!!!

Options

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    All studies done on aerobics show that they don't significantly accelerate fat loss than dieting alone. Why then whenever someone wants to lose fat or "get abs" they jump on the elliptical and start swinging and sweating thinking it's a great idea?? The only benefit is basically allowing you to eat more food. That's it. I doubt they're doing it for the cardiovascular benefits either. So if by the end of the day you're at a caloric deficit, you will lose the same amount of fat with or without cardio.

Weight lifting on the other hand has been shown to accelerate fat loss by up to 50% than dieting alone or dieting and cardio. I really genuinely feel sad when I see someone doing an hour or two of cardio on my news feed, and it's for all the wrong reasons..

and where can i find such scientific evidence?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I am just NOT over the little detail where OP said he is POSITIVE he is in better cardiovascular health than a person who runs many marathons.

I. Call. Shenanigans.

And if that's true I'd like to see him run a marathon.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what you're trying to get it? I never said it doesn't burn fat, i just said it's not as effective. My point again is that you can achieve top level body composition without the use of cardio.
    Rarely in my life have I seen such remarkable synergy between a username and a post.

Do you know any physique competitors?
    Obviously the largest demographic on MFP are physique competitors and that's where most people are trying to get, so this thread makes a lot of sense for the target audience by saying that cardio is completely 100% worthless to all people at all times.

What you're saying is true, but is also functionally worthless to probably about 80% of this site's members, if not more. Most people here aren't trying to be full blown meatheads and marinate themselves in all of the broscience ever.

However, having you come back with a slightly modified version of "DO U EVAN LIFT" is definitely pretty hilarious.

No... clearly not everyone's goal is to me a top tier fitness model etc. I never said cardio is worthless, or even ineffective. What i am saying though, is that cardio is not a NECESSARY tool to reach a low body fat percentage. That's about it....
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what you're trying to get it? I never said it doesn't burn fat, i just said it's not as effective. My point again is that you can achieve top level body composition without the use of cardio.
    Rarely in my life have I seen such remarkable synergy between a username and a post.

I know a few myself (2 female fitness competitors and 1 bodybuilder) and when they are in training mode for a show the ones I know amp up the cardio, granted when they are off from a show the cardio is almost none existent (hitting the weight room more)... I recall watching some Jay Cutler video's awhile back (before he tore his bicep) and he was hitting the gym at 2 in the morning specifically for cardio sessions (the video's I watch was leading in to the Mr. O...) So are you saying these are just exceptions to the norm or am I missing something????
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    All studies done on aerobics show that they don't significantly accelerate fat loss than dieting alone. Why then whenever someone wants to lose fat or "get abs" they jump on the elliptical and start swinging and sweating thinking it's a great idea?? The only benefit is basically allowing you to eat more food. That's it. I doubt they're doing it for the cardiovascular benefits either. So if by the end of the day you're at a caloric deficit, you will lose the same amount of fat with or without cardio.

Weight lifting on the other hand has been shown to accelerate fat loss by up to 50% than dieting alone or dieting and cardio. I really genuinely feel sad when I see someone doing an hour or two of cardio on my news feed, and it's for all the wrong reasons..

I do cardio for both cardiovascular reasons and weight loss. I also am not someone who thinks that exercise is a license to "eat more" as I think is counter productive to do that IMO.

If you're so upset over people on your FL "doing 2 hours of cardio for the wrong reasons" then delete them. Annoyance gone!
  • LolBroScience
    Options

I know a few myself (2 female fitness competitors and 1 bodybuilder) and when they are in training mode for a show the ones I know amp up the cardio, granted when they are off from a show the cardio is almost none existent (hitting the weight room more)... I recall watching some Jay Cutler video's awhile back (before he tore his bicep) and he was hitting the gym at 2 in the morning specifically for cardio sessions (the video's I watch was leading in to the Mr. O...) So are you saying these are just exceptions to the norm or am I missing something????

You don't consider Jay Cutler to be an exception from the norm....?
  • CyberEd312
    Options

You missed the point they are all doing cardio
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Their progress is not solely attributed to cardio.... yes it is a tool, but the majority of the shift in their body composition is through consistency of hitting their macros and resistance training, and a deficit.
  • TwiistedTwiin
    TwiistedTwiin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow and to think the weight I have lost has not been from cardio. :noway:
    It takes all kinds.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I enjoy both cardio and strength training. However, as another poster has said - you seem confused.

And I'm one of those who actually enjoy cardio BECAUSE of the cardiovascular benefits. I love the way my breathing feels after a good run. My entire respiratory system feels clear and healthy for the day. I love the sound of my heart trying to pump out as much blood as it can.

I also run because I get a high from it. As a recovering drug addict, the high I get from a good run is paramount to staying sober.

So knock on cardio all you want, but knock on it to yourself, please.

It's good you enjoy cardio. But I think 90% of people look at it as torture. Ask any random overweight person at your gym how "high" they're feeling while they huff and puff on the treadmill, their facial expression should give you an idea.

Oh, I don't do gyms. My gym is outside and using my own body. I don't think I could handle the influx of differentiating opinions on how things "should" be done.

such as the OP eh?
    I actually enjoy my cardio. I'm not sure his assumptions are doing anything for him, other than making him look like an A hole
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Their progress is not solely attributed to cardio.... yes it is a tool, but the majority of the shift in their body composition is through consistency of hitting their macros and resistance training, and a deficit.

You're still missing the point. They are all doing CARDIO. No one said anything about their progress being attributed to that. The point is (wait for it) THEY ARE ALL DOING CARDIO.
  • AlanTuring
    AlanTuring Posts: 159
    Options
    lolbroscience
  • LolBroScience
    Options

You're still missing the point. They are all doing CARDIO. No one said anything about their progress being attributed to that. The point is (wait for it) THEY ARE ALL DOING CARDIO.

And if they cut it out all of a sudden they would store bodyfat? please....
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I didn't read 14 pages of responses but somehow, without lifting or changing my diet I managed to lose 3% BF by running and cycling. Maybe I lift in my sleep but I'm not aware of it. Seems the BF came off with cardio.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Oh, I don't do gyms. My gym is outside and using my own body. I don't think I could handle the influx of differentiating opinions on how things "should" be done.

Boom goes the dynamite. Love it.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Where did I say that?

Oh, and remind me to tell my friend who does triathlons, finished an iron man, bikes, swims, runs that his extremely low body fat percentage and ripped body is fake. Yes he lifts but the majority of his exercise is cardio. Hours of cardio.
  • CyberEd312
    Options

And you just clarified alot of the cardio crowds point, when earlier you said "My point again is that you can achieve top level body composition without the use of cardio." but then you just stated cardio is a tool in the process... I don't think anyone here will debate the fact that weight training along with cardio are both great tools to an overall health stand point and the benefits of both on body composition. I know in my case after losing 300 lbs. if I had not started resistance training in the very beginning I would have had to have more work done than the 17 lbs. of loose skin I had removed from my torso... The lifting help alot maintaining lean muscle mass but also the gains a made filled in areas (biceps, back, etc) I might have otherwise need intervention on... but make no mistake the cardio from the beginning was key as well in my overall weight loss (ie: fat loss)

I went from this:
    2009May2.jpg

to this:
    DSCF0595-1_zps47895873.jpg

but make no mistake about it, it was a combination of the 2 along with watching my caloric intake and watching my macro's that lead to my success.....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

This is true. You can do cardio for health and fitness. You can lift for the same reason. Same with yoga, PX90, kayaking, rock climbing etc. Whether you burn fat or not depends on not eating more than you burn. As ninerbuff explained pages ago, no exercise burns exclusively fat. Exercise combined with a calorie deficit and good macros have the most impact on body composition.

Lifting is great for retaining lean body mass. Cardio is great for health, endurance and burning calories. There either/or arguments are fairly useless.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    While im a big supporter of weightlifting cardio does help the heart and eating more will get you mote nutrients. But definitely, strength training will help you reshape your bod burn more fat and stay stonger :-) excessive cardio is a waste of time unless indeed you just enjoy it! Many people are even undereating and excessive cardio just brings down the metabolism even more.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Where did I say that?

Oh, and remind me to tell my friend who does triathlons, finished an iron man, bikes, swims, runs that his extremely low body fat percentage and ripped body is fake. Yes he lifts but the majority of his exercise is cardio. Hours of cardio.

Again, you seem to be the one missing the point... I'm not arguing that it can't burn fat. I am saying you can attain low levels without it. Honestly from there it becomes a matter of perception...compare the body of a sprinter to a long distance runner.