Cardio doesn't burn fat!!!

Options

Replies

• suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Why do bodybuilders do cardio when they're cutting for a competition?
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I am just NOT over the little detail where OP said he is POSITIVE he is in better cardiovascular health than a person who runs many marathons.

I. Call. Shenanigans.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    All studies done on aerobics show that they don't significantly accelerate fat loss than dieting alone. .

This is incorrect.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/113/12/1831.abstract <-- that's one, I can provide thirty others.
  • arsan
    arsan Posts: 97 Member
    Options
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    All studies done on aerobics show that they don't significantly accelerate fat loss than dieting alone. .

This is incorrect.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/113/12/1831.abstract <-- that's one, I can provide thirty others.

You still don't get it. Show me one study where the diet of the subjects was controlled during the experiment. Obviously without controlling your diet, cardio will reduce calories resulting in fat loss. But if your net calories by the end of the day are the same with or without cardio you will lose the same amount of fat. I'm tired of repeating myself. I'm done with this thread.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

This is incorrect.

You still don't get it. Show me one study where the diet of the subjects was controlled during the experiment. Obviously without controlling your diet, cardio will reduce calories resulting in fat loss. But if your net calories by the end of the day are the same with or without cardio you will lose the same amount of fat. I'm tired of repeating myself. I'm done with this thread.

but that's not what you said in your OP.

with respect to fat loss, if you said there is no appreciable difference between having a 1000 calorie deficit due solely to dietary restriction and having a 1000 calorie deficit due to a combination of dietary restriction and cardio, then your thread would have gone in a completely different direction.

words mean things. omitting words can alter the point you intended to convey.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I am just NOT over the little detail where OP said he is POSITIVE he is in better cardiovascular health than a person who runs many marathons.

I. Call. Shenanigans.

I am thinking an earthworm probably has a better cardiovascular system than he does.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    All studies done on aerobics show that they don't significantly accelerate fat loss than dieting alone. Why then whenever someone wants to lose fat or "get abs" they jump on the elliptical and start swinging and sweating thinking it's a great idea?? The only benefit is basically allowing you to eat more food. That's it. I doubt they're doing it for the cardiovascular benefits either. So if by the end of the day you're at a caloric deficit, you will lose the same amount of fat with or without cardio.

Weight lifting on the other hand has been shown to accelerate fat loss by up to 50% than dieting alone or dieting and cardio. I really genuinely feel sad when I see someone doing an hour or two of cardio on my news feed, and it's for all the wrong reasons..
    Cardio can both burn fat and not burn fat. It depends on how it is done. The kind you should do once or twice a week is the long, slow cardio. It will make you hungrier as It will burn calories and it will make you tired. It can work your heart but only if done correctly. YOu should wear a heart monitor.

The kind of cardio which WILL burn fat is HIIT, interval cardio. HIIT stands for high intensity interval training. (walk, jog, run, repeat) for about 20 or 30 min.

There is also a controversial topic on doing fasted cardio, saying if you do cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning that you will burn fat. It says it taps into fat stores for energy.

Weight lifting builds muscle which in turns burns fat, even at rest. Long cardio can burn muscle. You have to be careful with cardio and should wear a heart monitor to ensure you are in your fat burning mode.

The key to weight loss, particularly if you are in your 30s or older is to build muscle.

** I do long cardio for the release of endorphins and seratonin. I also enjoy it. If I am going to watch a movie, I'd rather walk on the tready and do it vs sitting on my butt. Why not burn a few more calories. I would advise against running. I have had too many clients with knee injuries from running. It has scared me into walking only.

It is also good to do cardio immediately after a lifting workout for about 20 - 30 minutes to help burn FAT.

So there are three types of cardio I have mentioned which burn FAT, FAT, FAT.
  • wildaaron
    wildaaron Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This is all -

20gjg9u.jpg
  • hope002
    hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

This is incorrect.

For over a year I have been trying to lose weight just by controlling my diet: no junk food, cooked everything at home, ate a lot of veggies and fruits. I had about 600-700 calories deficit. I haven't lost any weight.
    Feb 1 I started c25k and 30 day shred (cardio). I lost 13 pounds, 6.5 inches around my waist (all fat).
    So cardio does burn fat
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm done with this thread.

What?! All that effort to create the ultimate troll and you're quitting after only 9 pages? Something tells me you'll be back.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Many people seem to just enjoy cardio in a sadistic type of way so much that they miss the whole point of my post. Let me restate it again in a way a grade 5 kid would hopefully understand:

If by the end of the day you're at an x net calorie intake, it will not make a difference in terms of body composition whether or not you had done cardio that day. HOWEVER, if you do weight lifting while still at that same x net calorie intake, you will end up with less fat, more muscle than if you had not.
    The word you're looking for is masochistic. I've not heard of many cardio sadists, though that would be interesting.

You caught my inner kinkster off guard. I laughed so hard I snorted. Thank you!

(I can't get the image of a cardio sadist out of my head! Maybe they chase people??)
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    I do cardio so when zombies or a kidnapper chases after me, I can out run them. Seems beneficial to me.

yupp. I've lost 23 pounds in about 3 months, diet and cardio, no weight lifting...soo....yeah....I guess I'll keep dropping in weight but stay fat forever, cuz according to this guy I'm doing it wrong *rolls eyes*
  • sharonrandle
    Options
    I enjoy both cardio and strength training. However, as another poster has said - you seem confused.

And I'm one of those who actually enjoy cardio BECAUSE of the cardiovascular benefits. I love the way my breathing feels after a good run. My entire respiratory system feels clear and healthy for the day. I love the sound of my heart trying to pump out as much blood as it can.

I also run because I get a high from it. As a recovering drug addict, the high I get from a good run is paramount to staying sober.

So knock on cardio all you want, but knock on it to yourself, please.

It's good you enjoy cardio. But I think 90% of people look at it as torture. Ask any random overweight person at your gym how "high" they're feeling while they huff and puff on the treadmill, their facial expression should give you an idea.

Im fat as hell, and every second Im doing cardio (past 45 min) feels like hell, I look miserable and want to quit. But I dont and I do get a total high off of it when Im done. Cause I can say my fat *kitten* just did that ****!
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do mostly strength training now, with heavy weights. However, cardio is important to overall health. In my Taek Won Do class, we do intense cardio to increase our speed and endurance. I swim and run for heart health. I don't know about anyone else, but I hate being out of breath when I go up the stairs. Cardio endurance helps with that and many other things.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm done with this thread.

What?! All that effort to create the ultimate troll and you're quitting after only 9 pages? Something tells me you'll be back.

It's all the cardio he's skipped – he doesn't have the cardiovascular health for a marathon thread.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    Why do bodybuilders do cardio when they're cutting for a competition?
    Good question. And you're right, they do. I don't know much about cutting, but I think if you do cardio after lifting it burns fat.

If you do HIIT cardio it burns fat. (walk, jog, run, repeat). Or (push ups, jumping jacks, squats, lunges, repeat)

If you do fasted cardio it burns fat (tapping into fat stores). This is Controversial.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    Cardio is good, resistance training is good, however you must start in the kitchen. Doing nothing will get you nowhere.
    DAMN good transformation there!
  • Sunny____
    Options
    I enjoy both cardio and strength training. However, as another poster has said - you seem confused.

And I'm one of those who actually enjoy cardio BECAUSE of the cardiovascular benefits. I love the way my breathing feels after a good run. My entire respiratory system feels clear and healthy for the day. I love the sound of my heart trying to pump out as much blood as it can.

I also run because I get a high from it. As a recovering drug addict, the high I get from a good run is paramount to staying sober.

So knock on cardio all you want, but knock on it to yourself, please.

It's good you enjoy cardio. But I think 90% of people look at it as torture. Ask any random overweight person at your gym how "high" they're feeling while they huff and puff on the treadmill, their facial expression should give you an idea.

I just started exercising and I do enjoy how I feel during and after using the treadmill and cycle.
    You have to crawl before you walk. This is a great start.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I like to do some cardio for the sake of being able to eat more calories but I have actually cut down my cardio as I approch maintenance... However, my strength training has increased. Others say "You are still losing?"... Really, not a lot.. Maybe 5 lbs the past couple of months... But the weight training has continued to reshape my body and my measurements seem to be continuing a downward trend.