Cardio doesn't burn fat!!!

Options

Replies

• marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Then what does it burn? :indifferent:

Our will to live.
    You are hysterical! and good for you trading in the drugs for cardio.... burn or no burn!:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what you're trying to get it? I never said it doesn't burn fat, i just said it's not as effective. My point again is that you can achieve top level body composition without the use of cardio.
    Rarely in my life have I seen such remarkable synergy between a username and a post.

Do you know any physique competitors?

I know a few myself (2 female fitness competitors and 1 bodybuilder) and when they are in training mode for a show the ones I know amp up the cardio, granted when they are off from a show the cardio is almost none existent (hitting the weight room more)... I recall watching some Jay Cutler video's awhile back (before he tore his bicep) and he was hitting the gym at 2 in the morning specifically for cardio sessions (the video's I watch was leading in to the Mr. O...) So are you saying these are just exceptions to the norm or am I missing something????

You don't consider Jay Cutler to be an exception from the norm....?

You missed the point they are all doing cardio

Their progress is not solely attributed to cardio.... yes it is a tool, but the majority of the shift in their body composition is through consistency of hitting their macros and resistance training, and a deficit.

You're still missing the point. They are all doing CARDIO. No one said anything about their progress being attributed to that. The point is (wait for it) THEY ARE ALL DOING CARDIO.

And if they cut it out all of a sudden they would store bodyfat? please....

Where did I say that?

Oh, and remind me to tell my friend who does triathlons, finished an iron man, bikes, swims, runs that his extremely low body fat percentage and ripped body is fake. Yes he lifts but the majority of his exercise is cardio. Hours of cardio.

Again, you seem to be the one missing the point... I'm not arguing that it can't burn fat. I am saying you can attain low levels without it. Honestly from there it becomes a matter of perception...compare the body of a sprinter to a long distance runner.

Actually your title says cardio doesn't burn fat so yeah. You did say that.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

I'm not the OP....
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    actually there should be a mixture of cardio and weight training, i'm over 200lbs if weight training were my only form of exercise i'd look like a beefed up man. no thanks :indifferent:

*sigh*
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

I'm not the OP....

Oops. You're right.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options

A way that cardio DOES NOT burn fat is through long slow cardio. This has many benefits, but fat-burning is not one of them.

Sorry but this is incorrect. Once you have depleted your glycogen stores your body has to replenish them from somewhere. Yes HIIT will burn calories quicker but that only make it more time efficient.
    It doesn't alter the fact that if you have burned calories and don't replace them from your food your body will use its energy stores.
    Low impact cardio burns a higher proportion of fat than high impact - but it takes longer to burn the same calories.
    I disagree. bc HIIT burns fat not just calories. I was referring to "long slow cardio" (relook at my post). I said it doesn't burn fat, it burns calories. I stand behind that. Long High Impact can burn muscle if you are not at target heart rate. That is one reason to do high impact for only a brief period and alternate it with low impact. You slow down and speed up there too which makes you work harder. Sorry, you you are wrong.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I lol'ed. Thanks hun :)
  • Sunny____
    Options
    This thread isn't about the knocking the cardiovascular benefits of it... it's saying that it isn't nearly as effective from a fat loss perspective, which is true. People get really jumpy around here real fast....

Look to all the top fitness, physique, bodybuilding competitors... it wasn't built by cardio, it was built through resistance training.

CARDIO DOES BURN FAT. And cardio DOESN'T burn fat. It depends on how it is done.

Three ways it burns fat. . .

1. Interval cardio with HIIT: (ie walk, jog, run, repeat) for 20 - 30 minutes

2. Fasted cardio such as first thing in the morning after an overnight fast and before breakfast: When done on an empty stomach your body uses fat stores as energy (some say this is controversial).

4. After a weight lifting session which mostly burns carbs and calories, you then do cardio to burn fat.

A way that cardio DOES NOT burn fat is through long slow cardio. This has many benefits, but fat-burning is not one of them.

All cardio releases endorphins and seratonin (feel good hormones). Makes you sleep better the natural way and is better than an anti-depressant pill (for most people who are not suffering from chronic or severe depression as I can't comment on that. It is case by case no doubt).
    Here it is again.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    actually there should be a mixture of cardio and weight training, i'm over 200lbs if weight training were my only form of exercise i'd look like a beefed up man. no thanks :indifferent:

*sigh*

lol
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    This thread isn't about the knocking the cardiovascular benefits of it... it's saying that it isn't nearly as effective from a fat loss perspective, which is true. People get really jumpy around here real fast....

Look to all the top fitness, physique, bodybuilding competitors... it wasn't built by cardio, it was built through resistance training.

CARDIO DOES BURN FAT. And cardio DOESN'T burn fat. It depends on how it is done.

2. Fasted cardio such as first thing in the morning after an overnight fast and before breakfast: When done on an empty stomach your body uses fat stores as energy (some say this is controversial).

4. After a weight lifting session which mostly burns carbs and calories, you then do cardio to burn fat.

All cardio releases endorphins and seratonin (feel good hormones). Makes you sleep better the natural way and is better than an anti-depressant pill (for most people who are not suffering from chronic or severe depression as I can't comment on that. It is case by case no doubt).
    Here it is again.
    It was entirely incorrect the first time. Posting it again doesn't make it any less so. You completely misunderstand substrate utilization and energy pathways/usage.
  • _Fatty2Fitty_
    _Fatty2Fitty_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Not this again!!

Let those who want to sweat it out on the treadmill do their thing and same for those who want to lift weights!! If everyone stopped telling each other that they are wrong, the world would be a happier place....or at least MFP!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Here it is again.

That source is very confused. Long slow cardio uses fat as it's primary fuel. It is probably the best "fat" burning type if exercise for this reason. The problem is you have to do it for a long time to get much effect. The others primariy burn calories from stored muscle glycogen. The understanding of energy systems used during exercise in that list is pretty poor.

It's kind of a useless argument though. Exercise burns calories. Period. That's all you need to know. JUST WORK OUT!
  • bluetrumpet01
    bluetrumpet01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm a triathlete, and no, not a svelte sexy one at the moment. Most of us use a concept called periodization training where we will segment the year into different phases.

In the winter/offseason we will do long slow tediously boring cardio for hours upon a time in a phase called 'base training'. This burns gobs of fat since you are staying in zones 1 and 2 of your target heart rate zone and it prepares the muscle for the harder phases by strengthening the connective tissue and increasing vascularization, great, awesome necessary benefits.

As the calendar nears the races, you go into tempo training and finally race intensity training. At this point we're doing intervals and beating the living crap out of our legs. Tell me I'm not doing resistance training flying down the road at 24mph into a 10mph head wind and I'll laugh at you. At this point, we're eating almost like a body builder and your legs feel like they're getting several hour sessions at the gym.

Point of the rant, just because the cardio is long and slow, or fast and hard doesn't mean it's pointless and you won't lose weight, build muscle, and feel a heck of a lot better in the end. I can attest to you that it does all of that in strides.
  • julieharrell1
    julieharrell1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs in six months by eating less and doing cardio 3 times a week or more. I dropped at least 4 pant sizes and completely loss the fat on my stomach. I never lifted weights and never did a single sit-up. I was thin and toned. I you are overweight, cardio is the best way to lose weight. If you are already thin, weight lifting can sculpt you body. I don't need any study to tell me this. I know from experience. Also, at the gym I always see thin people running on the treadmills, and really fat people on the weight machines.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Here it is again.
    It was entirely incorrect the first time. Posting it again doesn't make it any less so. You completely misunderstand substrate utilization and energy pathways/usage.

You beat me to it!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Sorry but this is incorrect. Once you have depleted your glycogen stores your body has to replenish them from somewhere. Yes HIIT will burn calories quicker but that only make it more time efficient.
    It doesn't alter the fact that if you have burned calories and don't replace them from your food your body will use its energy stores.
    Low impact cardio burns a higher proportion of fat than high impact - but it takes longer to burn the same calories.
    I disagree. bc HIIT burns fat not just calories. I was referring to "long slow cardio" (relook at my post). I said it doesn't burn fat, it burns calories. I stand behind that. Long High Impact can burn muscle if you are not at target heart rate. That is one reason to do high impact for only a brief period and alternate it with low impact. You slow down and speed up there too which makes you work harder. Sorry, you you are wrong.

Pardon? Don't understand what you mean my "doesn't burn fat, it burns calories" - calories are a unit of measurement.

HIIT will burn some fat but a much smaller proportion of fat compared to low intensity. The downside to low intensity is that it takes time to reach a high calorie burn (if that's your aim).
    Quick Google search shows someone doing 30 mins at 60% max heartrate burns 63% fat, at 80% max heartrate this drops to 33%.
  • AlanTuring
    AlanTuring Posts: 159
    Options
    Not this again!!

Let those who want to sweat it out on the treadmill do their thing and same for those who want to lift weights!! If everyone stopped telling each other that they are wrong, the world would be a happier place....or at least MFP!
    If people stopped acting all smug and superior because their way of eating/working out is better than others, I wouldn't recognize the place!
  • Sunny____
    Options

Pardon? Don't understand what you mean my "doesn't burn fat, it burns calories" - calories are a unit of measurement.

HIIT will burn some fat but a much smaller proportion of fat compared to low intensity. The downside to low intensity is that it takes time to reach a high calorie burn (if that's your aim).
    Quick Google search shows someone doing 30 mins at 60% max heartrate burns 63% fat, at 80% max heartrate this drops to 33%.
    I am not sure how to prove this to you. I can get a TON of examples to you. But I don't know if I should spend the time on Google to prove it or not. . .these are from my memory and can be Googled by you if you care.

Bill Phillips of Body for Life and Transformation says to HIIT and doesn't recommend long slow cardio.

Labrada, also recommends it. He says do long slow cardio no more than once a week.

Buff Mother says to do HIIT, lift and do long slow cardio no more than once a week.

The subject of the thread is this, "cardio does not burn fat". IT does burn fat, but long slow cardio will do nothing more than to burn calories. You have to be at a certain heart rate for a certain amount of time to burn fat. Long slow cardio is not going to do that. It is going to only allow you to eat more calories. Look a the personal trainer's posts on here from earlier, they said what I already said.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The only benefit is basically allowing you to eat more food. That's it. I doubt they're doing it for the cardiovascular benefits either.

Uh... I like eating more food. That's a benefit worth working for in my book.

And I DO care about the cardiovascular benefits.

I also really care about endurance, because of my plans to hike a big chunk of the Appalachian Trail this summer. Cardio is necessary to condition myself to achieve this goal. If I did nothing but heavy lifting, I'd be toast on the trail.

I don't care if cardio burns fat, as I am not trying to burn more fat. I'm happy with my body composition.

Different people have different goals. Why not live and let live? :flowerforyou:

Thanks, though!

No one has ever hiked the AT and gained weight it changes your body as well as your mind. I wish you well. I have hit the trail for day hikes never for a through hike. Hiking may not be a true cardio but you will burn calories and build core strength. It is my exercise of choice and I always feel wonderful after a good hike. The other exercise I do is just to make do until I can get back on the trail.
  • AlanTuring
    AlanTuring Posts: 159
    Options
    I am not sure how to prove this to you. I can get a TON of examples to you. But I don't know if I should spend the time on Google to prove it or not. . .these are from my memory and can be Googled by you if you care.

Bill Phillips of Body for Life and Transformation says to HIIT and doesn't recommend long slow cardio.

Labrada, also recommends it. He says do long slow cardio no more than once a week.

Buff Mother says to do HIIT, lift and do long slow cardio no more than once a week.

The subject of the thread is this, "cardio does not burn fat". IT does burn fat, but long slow cardio will do nothing more than to burn calories. You have to be at a certain heart rate for a certain amount of time to burn fat. Long slow cardio is not going to do that. It is going to only allow you to eat more calories. Look a the personal trainer's posts on here from earlier, they said what I already said.
    Well, if Labrada and Buff Mother say so, who are we to ignore the great scientists of our age?