Cardio doesn't burn fat!!!

Options
1202122232426»

Replies

• MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I consider myself totally dispassionate in this debate as I hate both cardio and strength. However, when it comes to strength there are some things that worry me:

1. Don't muscle-bound people sink quicker? In my hypothetical Titanic situation I'm hoping to have a bit of fat to make me bob to the surface and protect me against the cold.
    2. Generally, when I want something heavy picked up and put down again I pay some nice little man to come along and do it for me. So the second worry of the strength training issue is that if I could lift heavy things myself I may be damaging the nice little man's cash-flow.
    3. Was there ever a poet or literary giant with lots of muscle?

These are serious worries for me.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I consider myself totally dispassionate in this debate as I hate both cardio and strength. However, when it comes to strength there are some things that worry me:

1. Don't muscle-bound people sink quicker? In my hypothetical Titanic situation I'm hoping to have a bit of fat to make me bob to the surface and protect me against the cold.
    2. Generally, when I want something heavy picked up and put down again I pay some nice little man to come along and do it for me. So the second worry of the strength training issue is that if I could lift heavy things myself I may be damaging the nice little man's cash-flow.

1. You will want to sink; cold water is pure agony.

2. Pay the little man to do other things.

3. Hemingway.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options

1. It would depend on how strong and large the waves are. In a turbulent ocean, it might help to have muscle mass to have the strength and power to fight the waves.
    2. You can still pay the guy to pick things up for you. However, if you are ever low on cash or in an emergency, wouldn't it be nice to be able to help yourself or someone else when really needed?
    3. Mark Rippetoe who wrote Starting Strength - a very popular book. 97 Year Old Herman Wouk - Pulitzer Prize Winner -

Secrets of long life

[...] So does a regular exercise routine. Each week, Wouk is visited by a former football player and a yoga instructor, who put him through a series of strengthening exercises and cardio treadmill workouts. [...]
  • Christiethorn1
    Christiethorn1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of women who hate the thought of lifting weights, mainly because of the idea of "bulking up", I am not the body time to have that happen but a friend of mine gets pretty manly arms :).

It is essential for women as we age to perform strength training exercises. Our muscles deteriorate as we age and in addition, exercises such as lifting weights keep out bones strong. Good bye osteoporosis!!!!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    20 pages of this. Really?

I love lifting heavy.
    I love doing HIIT workouts.
    I love doing various types of long cardio sessions.
    I love mixing in a bit of flexibility by doing yoga or other stretching.
    All have a place in the pursuit of fitness.

I lift heavy because I want to maintain my muscles while losing and strengthen my bones. I am of, ahem, that certain age. I like being stronger and able to do various chores and activities better. This includes anything from gardening and carrying the groceries up the stairs to backpacking carrying a heavy pack up steep hills and more. Heavy lifting is great and has a place in every workout routine. I typically only do it twice a week. I know more would be better but I also typically do one circuit-training session a week and find that I can't do more than twice a week and still be able to recover enough to do the other things I love to do. So this is working for me right now. I'm seeing steady progress on my lifts. I'm doing a modified Stronglifts 5x5 program. It's all good.

I love doing HIIT because it's challenging, increases my aerobic capacity, is proven to be a good training tool in order to be able to perform at higher altitudes due to your body being stressed anaerobically, and because I love feeling gutted at the end of a good workout. I usually do a short HIIT session after completing my heavy lifting by getting on the stairclimber, elliptical or bike and alternating 30-seconds at my max capacity with 60-seconds of recovery. Or sometimes I just work out with kettlebells. I mix it up. It's all good.

I love long cardio outside, not inside on machines, like riding my bike for long hours/miles, up to 100 miles in a day or hikes of 8-15 miles in a day, up and down steep hills, often carrying a heavy pack without being winded, or simply getting out and doing a nice run, or snowshoeing, or going out to the beach and running, playing in the sand and surf, or going geocaching, or doing a nice, long swim, or dancing for hours without fatigue, or a paddle in the kayak, or whatever else strikes my fancy. Again, I mix it up and it's all good.

While I have to admit that I don't love stretching or yoga, I try to do a nice session about once a week to increase my flexibility and mobility, to work on my balance, and because, when done, it does feel good to work out my body in a different way. It also often gets some of the kinks out from other activities. Again, it's all good.

Yup, any kind of activity that you enjoy and will do to help keep you fit and active is all good. All types of exercise have their place in a fitness program. Just get out and play, challenge yourself, and have a blast doing it!
  • priesterse
    priesterse Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've got donuts !! :bigsmile: