Cardio doesn't burn fat!!!

Options

Replies

• moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    actually there should be a mixture of cardio and weight training, i'm over 200lbs if weight training were my only form of exercise i'd look like a beefed up man. no thanks :indifferent:

No you wouldn't. All girls think that and all are wrong.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Sorry if someone already said it, but this thread title has me beating my head against the keyboard in frustration because:

Cardio burns CALORIES. Which become the fat on my thighs and belly if I eat too many of them, then sit around.

So cardio is fine because it can keep those calories from ever becoming fat in the first place.

If I have this whole 'burn it off before it becomes fat' bit wrong a bio-geek is welcome to inform me of why and of how it really works. Go for it, I'm interested. Especially since I'm always in ketosis so it might be that my body does things differently from a carb eater.

Otherwise, allergies permitting, I will continue to enjoy cardio as well as weights. I'm one of those people who will read a book while peddling furiously on the stationary bike. Know why? Because I've gotten bored, I've done my regular workout, and now I just want to burn a few more of those pesky calories. Scoff away, maybe scoffing burns fat.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    actually there should be a mixture of cardio and weight training, i'm over 200lbs if weight training were my only form of exercise i'd look like a beefed up man. no thanks :indifferent:

No you wouldn't. All girls think that and all are wrong.

I don't...
  • bioniccheese
    Options
    I am all about the cardio. Don't get me wrong, I do some weights but cardio will always be my primary concern as I play football (soccer). Never understand the big battle, just get active all you'll be healthier.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    my father died at 54 from a heart attack... his father died at 45 from a heart attack.... so yes, I do cardio because it is good for my heart. I would like to live a little longer than they did, thanks.

Yes. That IS the point. If you do not challenge your heart and lungs, you are risking a lot more than you think by merely lifting weights, especially if you go heavy. The heart and lungs are also muscles.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Sorry if someone already said it, but this thread title has me beating my head against the keyboard in frustration because:

Cardio burns CALORIES. Which become the fat on my thighs and belly if I eat too many of them, then sit around.

So cardio is fine because it can keep those calories from ever becoming fat in the first place.

If I have this whole 'burn it off before it becomes fat' bit wrong a bio-geek is welcome to inform me of why and of how it really works. Go for it, I'm interested. Especially since I'm always in ketosis so it might be that my body does things differently from a carb eater.

Otherwise, allergies permitting, I will continue to enjoy cardio as well as weights. I'm one of those people who will read a book while peddling furiously on the stationary bike. Know why? Because I've gotten bored, I've done my regular workout, and now I just want to burn a few more of those pesky calories. Scoff away, maybe scoffing burns fat.

Some of us are here because of Health concerns. It is nice that we think we LOOK better when we are slimmer, but the whole point of these exercises is that they improve the functioning of our cardiovascular systems. Some of us are not all that impressed at the idea of leaving a Beautiful Corpse. Thank you, Mara Dear! You are my role model!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Any exercise that gets you off the couch and burning calories burns fat.

Not sure why I feel the need to even add this remark. If cardio didn't burn fat, then boxers wouldn't skip rope, runners wouldn't have lean legs, and MMA fighters wouldn't go insane with circuit training to get into lower fighting weight classes.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    All studies done on aerobics show that they don't significantly accelerate fat loss than dieting alone. Why then, whenever someone wants to lose fat or "get abs" they jump on the elliptical and start swinging and sweating thinking it's a great idea??

cause of the propaganda in girly exercise magazines and Dr Oz's misinformation

/thread
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I do cardio so when zombies or a kidnapper chases after me, I can out run them. Seems beneficial to me.

WWZ- really fast zombies. I am totally prepared!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    What everyone should be doing is cyphering through the information (and mis-information) provided to find out what works for themselves. Here is a good source to read up on research from around the globe. This is a main source we provide to students educational research through the college for helath care, bioscience, and other studies at our college:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

You may have to search for the full study results, but that abstracts summarize well enough to see findings. You can search for "cardio fat burn", "aerobic versus resistance", or any number of terms of interest. These studies are what filter through to medical and phsycological journals, and down to other lesser credited websites who do their own meta analysis.

Anyway, most show that BOTH aerobic training and resistance training have helath benefits, in varying combinations, and with varying effectiveness (big surprise). They often contradict which is the most effective between AT and RT, but both are effective.

I did a quick search and here is one example:
    Participants were 119 sedentary, overweight or obese adults who were randomized to one of three 8-mo exercise protocols: 1) RT: resistance training, 2) AT: aerobic training, and 3) AT/RT: aerobic and resistance training (combination of AT and RT). Primary outcomes included total body mass, fat mass, and lean body mass. The AT and AT/RT groups reduced total body mass and fat mass more than RT (P < 0.05), but they were not different from each other. RT and AT/RT increased lean body mass more than AT (P < 0.05). While requiring double the time commitment, a program of combined AT and RT did not result in significantly more fat mass or body mass reductions over AT alone. Balancing time commitments against health benefits, it appears that AT is the optimal mode of exercise for reducing fat mass and body mass, while a program including RT is needed for increasing lean mass in middle-aged, overweight/obese individuals.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23019316

Important note there, is about time commitment, whcih effects almost ALL individuals trying to fit in a healthy lifestyle to an already busy life.

Here is another study that indicates that the combination of AT and RT imrpoves health (specifically realted to cardiovascular disease) over either AT or RT alone.
    ...A 12-week training program comprising of resistance or combination exercise, at moderate-intensity for 30 min, five days/week resulted in improvements in the cardiovascular risk profile in overweight and obese participants compared to no exercise. From our observations, combination exercise gave greater benefits for weight loss, fat loss and cardio-respiratory fitness than aerobic and resistance training modalities. Therefore, combination exercise training should be recommended for overweight and obese adults in National Physical Activity Guidelines.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23006411

So a bit different result that the first study, indiating the a combo approach might be best.

There are many supporting studies about AT/RT effectiveness, so take time to read up. In the end, NOTHING has been absolutely conclusive of what is best. However, both AT and RT BOTH are shown to be effective in promoting health and fitness (durr).

Do what works for you.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    All girls think that
    ^^dumb statement.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"An assertion made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."
    [/quote]

Great quote.

1. Increased metabolism. All day. CARDIO.
    2. Better heart rate = more active = healthier me. CARDIO.
    3. My muscles are growing by half inches, my fat areas are shrinking by multiple inches, on the treadmill. CARDIO.

I am doing some free weights, but I am not "a lifter". And I do not have to be. Just as you do not have to be "a runner". Love one another.
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Are we there yet?
  • jamiesueaustin
    Options
    I keep putting resistance band exercises under cardio--> calisthenics since I can't find a place to put them. But, my arms and legs burn more than they ever did when I was on the weighted work-out machines. I wonder where I should be putting it?
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You seem pretty confused to me. I'm not knocking weight lifting but I don't understand why people like you feel the need to knock cardio either. It has MANY benefits. One of which is it allows you to eat more food. Others include improved health, toning (yes that's right people cardio can build muscle too!) It also leads to general feelings of well being in many of us. For me a half an hour swim or a run outside and I feel much much better than after time spent indoors picking up heavy things and putting them down again.
    So if by the end of the day you're at a caloric deficit, you will lose the same amount of fat with or without cardio.

Yes but cardio helps you to increase your calorie deficit.

Exercise is good. Weight lifting is good. Cardio is good.

^^this-perfectly stated! ^^
  • jamiesueaustin
    Options

Untrue. You lack the testosterone to bulk, especially when you have a caloric deficit. People don`t accidentally look like fitness models.

I don't know about that... Some people are prone to building up muscle bulk. I'm from a family of farm women and most of us have some heavy duty guns and shoulders like line backers. It wasn't till I started putting on weight that I started looking like a chick instead of a dude in a skirt. Of course, now I'm a fat chick in a skirt, but that'll get fixed in time.

It's kind of like those "healthy recommended weight" calculators. I always look at the "recommended weight" and think, "When I was that small I looked like a dude. Better add 20 lbs to that."
  • jamiesueaustin
    Options
    Saying people do cardio just so they can eat more food is like saying people only buy pens so they can draw. There's heaps of benefits from doing cardio. For me personally it gives me that mental boost, going for a run in the morning not only gets my heart pumping but it does wonders for my mental health.
    I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 disorder in 2008 and i basically tried every medication and therapist under the sun to keep it under control. But since I started going for a run in the morning I not only havent bothered touching meds or talking to people who get paid to pretend they care, I've been thinking more clearly, been a lot more social, motivated and just allround happier.
    It might not do much for you but for others its what we thrive off.

My doctor mentioned that he had read a study that X minutes of exercise (can't remember now) produced the same effect has most low level anti-depressant drugs. I remember looking it up and being surprised that he was telling the truth.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Untrue. You lack the testosterone to bulk, especially when you have a caloric deficit. People don`t accidentally look like fitness models.

I don't know about that... Some people are prone to building up muscle bulk.

Without drugs and a calorie surplus, this ain't happening.
  • mrsg2006
    mrsg2006 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I enjoy both cardio and strength training. However, as another poster has said - you seem confused.

And I'm one of those who actually enjoy cardio BECAUSE of the cardiovascular benefits. I love the way my breathing feels after a good run. My entire respiratory system feels clear and healthy for the day. I love the sound of my heart trying to pump out as much blood as it can.

I also run because I get a high from it. As a recovering drug addict, the high I get from a good run is paramount to staying sober.

So knock on cardio all you want, but knock on it to yourself, please.

Good for you for getting sober and finding a healthy way to get that "high". That is awesome!
    I agree that cardio just makes me feel good!
  • jamiesueaustin
    Options

I don't know about that... Some people are prone to building up muscle bulk.

Without drugs and a calorie surplus, this ain't happening.

Six generations of Austin men and women disagree (on the drugs bit). I bet my grandma could beat you arm wrestling. :) Calorie surplus! You better believe it! How do you think I got fat? I kept eating like I was on the farm after I moved off.