Cardio doesn't burn fat!!!

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    So, you don't do any cardio? At all?

Only to warm up and lubricate my joints before weight lifting.

Awesome! So when the zombies come, you can outlift them, while I outrun them! :laugh:

P.S. I lift heavy because it's good for my bones and it improves my running performance. I run because it's good for my heart and it's a special kind of high. No reason you can't do both.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Did someone mention pop tarts and ice cream?
    I'm eating ice cream right now. Peanut butter and chocolate, to be exact. And I'm cutting, too. Mmmmmm.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm eating ice cream right now. Peanut butter and chocolate, to be exact. And I'm cutting, too. Mmmmmm.

The HD one is da bomb.com
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Your post really made me think. Cardio does seem like borderline eating disorder in a way too, burning calories and then eating them. It's like binging and purging, except you do the purging before the binging lol

I am side-eyeing your remark so hard right now. :noway:
    Please, tell me more about how doing cardio makes you "borderline" bulimic. I'd love to hear it.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of cardio each day, and i have lost 65ish pounds since september, so... the cardio must be doing something... im wearing normal size clothing now...

Ditto! Lost all of my weight by walking. I walk my dog twice a day for 15 to 20 minutes. Over the winter when I couldn't walk I started working out with weights only. Haven't lost any weight the past 3 months. Yesterday it was beautiful out so I went out for my 2 walks. Hopefully the temps hold up and I can keep up the walking and get back to losing weight again. I went from wearing XL to M. Down to a size 8 jeans for the past 3 months. I don't care about the skinny fat thing everyone talking about. I don't care if I have a thigh gap or not. I don't care what my body fat percentage is. I'm not going to post my before or after photos because I don't care what anyone has to say about how I look. I'm doing this for me and my health. My cardiologist is very happy with my results as is my PCP. My blood work hasn't looked this good since I was in my 30's. We all have different goals and everyone responds to different forms of exercise differently. I prefer my walks and riding my bike to lifting heavy. I don't enjoy lifting. But love my walks. Lifting makes my fibro and MS pains much worse. I would rather walk and feel good the rest of the day than lift and be in agony the rest of the week.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Your post really made me think. Cardio does seem like borderline eating disorder in a way too, burning calories and then eating them. It's like binging and purging, except you do the purging before the binging lol

jijexg.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Trollfest week in the forums. Weeeee! :drinker:

In this thread alone we've already reached pure gold.

1. Cardio vs Lifting.
    2. A woman says she doesn't lift because she doesn't want to get bulky.

Now all we need is someone to bust out "starvation mode" and this thread will be full of win.

LOL I was thinking the same thing..but did not get to end of thread to see if anyone busted out starvation mode....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Really, the best way to burn fat is by doing a good cleanse. You need to release all the toxins from your body that have accumulated over the years from bad eating. Once you release the toxins, your body will begin to burn fat more efficiently because it's not bogged down by the toxins.

yes and use shake weight and ab shocker to tone...
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    All studies done on aerobics show that they don't significantly accelerate fat loss than dieting alone.

What studies? The ones where participants had an ad libitum food intake or where food intake was not stringently controlled...

I agree that hours and hours of cardio is not perhaps the best use of time in terms of efficiency however. Good diet and resistance training base will be the best use of limited time in terms of pure fat loss. However, that is not to say that cardio cannot be an excellent tool in someone's fat loss armoury if it suits their preferences....
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    It's good you enjoy cardio. But I think 90% of people look at it as torture. Ask any random overweight person at your gym how "high" they're feeling while they huff and puff on the treadmill, their facial expression should give you an idea.

Because everyone loves lifting weights...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of cardio each day, and i have lost 65ish pounds since september, so... the cardio must be doing something... im wearing normal size clothing now...

you probably just ate in a deficit...that is 90% of all fat loss...eat less
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

you probably just ate in a deficit...that is 90% of all fat loss...eat less
    QFT.
    I'm sure the cardio helped with the deficit and improved your overall health but the weight loss was from a defcict. Plus, as someone else asked, how much LBM do you think you lost in those 65 lbs by not doing resistance training to preserve lean muscle mass?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Really, the best way to burn fat is by doing a good cleanse. You need to release all the toxins from your body that have accumulated over the years from bad eating. Once you release the toxins, your body will begin to burn fat more efficiently because it's not bogged down by the toxins.

lol!! IT'S THE TOXINZ, IT'S THE TOXINZ!! THAT WHY WE FAT. THE TOXINZ!!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Cracks me up how a topic can start a firestorm of "debate."

We all have our own needs, abilities, strengths, and weaknesses. We each find our own path toward achieving out individual goals.

I have no interest in developing a rippled beach body. If I manage to get a visible six pack as a result of getting to my goal weight and continuing to improve strength and endurance, that will be a bonus. But not necessary.
  • Lbriggs82
    Lbriggs82 Posts: 58
    Options

lol!! IT'S THE TOXINZ, IT'S THE TOXINZ!! THAT WHY WE FAT. THE TOXINZ!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHHAHAHAHAHAA!!!! Classic!!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    All of you are wrong. Cardio and strength training are both useless. Coffee enemas and body cleanses are the REAL keys to weight loss. Also one of those balance bracelets suckers buy for $30 at the mall.
  • tehHannata
    Options
    I don't believe that cardio has no place in a good exercise routine, for me it is essential as part of my warm up, I do about 5-15 minutes on the elliptical to get my muscles and joints nicely warmed up.

I am one of the more unusual females who LIKES to do weights, and I like to go as heavy as I can. I can shift a fair amount of weight (50kg power clean & press, 100kg deadlift, 22.5kg snatch) and im in love with lifting. I used to be a cardio bunny and was so unhappy, failed my diet over and over. Nowadays I can have a diet slip and barely put on half a kilo, whereas before it used to be 3 or 4kg.
  • hsfiction
    Options
    Saying people do cardio just so they can eat more food is like saying people only buy pens so they can draw. There's heaps of benefits from doing cardio. For me personally it gives me that mental boost, going for a run in the morning not only gets my heart pumping but it does wonders for my mental health.
    I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 disorder in 2008 and i basically tried every medication and therapist under the sun to keep it under control. But since I started going for a run in the morning I not only havent bothered touching meds or talking to people who get paid to pretend they care, I've been thinking more clearly, been a lot more social, motivated and just allround happier.
    It might not do much for you but for others its what we thrive off.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    :laugh: The correct reason to do cardio:

cardio-gif.gif
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

I'm here for the pop tarts and ice cream.