Cardio doesn't burn fat!!!

Options

Replies

• Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options

A way that cardio DOES NOT burn fat is through long slow cardio. This has many benefits, but fat-burning is not one of them.

Sorry but this is incorrect. Once you have depleted your glycogen stores your body has to replenish them from somewhere. Yes HIIT will burn calories quicker but that only make it more time efficient.
    It doesn't alter the fact that if you have burned calories and don't replace them from your food your body will use its energy stores.
    Low impact cardio burns a higher proportion of fat than high impact - but it takes longer to burn the same calories.
    I disagree. bc HIIT burns fat not just calories. I was referring to "long slow cardio" (relook at my post). I said it doesn't burn fat, it burns calories. I stand behind that. Long High Impact can burn muscle if you are not at target heart rate. That is one reason to do high impact for only a brief period and alternate it with low impact. You slow down and speed up there too which makes you work harder. Sorry, you you are wrong.

Pardon? Don't understand what you mean my "doesn't burn fat, it burns calories" - calories are a unit of measurement.

HIIT will burn some fat but a much smaller proportion of fat compared to low intensity. The downside to low intensity is that it takes time to reach a high calorie burn (if that's your aim).
    Quick Google search shows someone doing 30 mins at 60% max heartrate burns 63% fat, at 80% max heartrate this drops to 33%.
    Fat is stored in your body. You have to tap into that to burn it. It is tricky. You can't just hop on a treadmill and walk at the same pace for an hour and burn stored fat. It doesn't work like that. I think any article you try to pull up will back this up. Not trying to or wanting to argue with you, you seem like a nice person, but I am pretty certain on this.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    I am not sure how to prove this to you. I can get a TON of examples to you. But I don't know if I should spend the time on Google to prove it or not. . .these are from my memory and can be Googled by you if you care.

Bill Phillips of Body for Life and Transformation says to HIIT and doesn't recommend long slow cardio.

Labrada, also recommends it. He says do long slow cardio no more than once a week.

Buff Mother says to do HIIT, lift and do long slow cardio no more than once a week.

The subject of the thread is this, "cardio does not burn fat". IT does burn fat, but long slow cardio will do nothing more than to burn calories. You have to be at a certain heart rate for a certain amount of time to burn fat. Long slow cardio is not going to do that. It is going to only allow you to eat more calories. Look a the personal trainer's posts on here from earlier, they said what I already said.
    Well, if Labrada and Buff Mother say so, who are we to ignore the great scientists of our age?
    Is there any other way I can prove this to you. Everyone knows about Labrada. It's pretty big. Or anyone in the fitness industry does, that is. I am just pointing to well known people. Please, give me the name of someone in the industry you know and I will find where they ALSO back up what I say.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    I am not sure how to prove this to you. I can get a TON of examples to you. But I don't know if I should spend the time on Google to prove it or not. . .these are from my memory and can be Googled by you if you care.

Bill Phillips of Body for Life and Transformation says to HIIT and doesn't recommend long slow cardio.

Labrada, also recommends it. He says do long slow cardio no more than once a week.

Buff Mother says to do HIIT, lift and do long slow cardio no more than once a week.

The subject of the thread is this, "cardio does not burn fat". IT does burn fat, but long slow cardio will do nothing more than to burn calories. You have to be at a certain heart rate for a certain amount of time to burn fat. Long slow cardio is not going to do that. It is going to only allow you to eat more calories. Look a the personal trainer's posts on here from earlier, they said what I already said.
    Well, if Labrada and Buff Mother say so, who are we to ignore the great scientists of our age?
    The sad part is that people like you don't want to better yourself by learning. You use this board to be a smart alec or to get digs in or to kill time. Some people like me, use it to help others and to learn from others. I don't have all the answers and if I am wrong, I want to talk to people on here and find out why I am wrong so I can be a better person. When you get on here and say stuff like this it is just a waste of time for everyone who has to read it and sift through it to find answers and to continue to carry on a conversation about a topic which we have an interest in.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If there are any trainers saying that HIIT burns primarily fat then they need to burn their certification.

HIIT burns nearly exclusively glycogen. Aerobic exercise under around 75% max heartrate burns 50% or more fat. The more aerobically conditioned one is the more fat they will burn at all intensities. Doing HIIT at the expense of lower intensity exercise will not build this aerobic conditioning.
  • AlanTuring
    AlanTuring Posts: 159
    Options
    Is there any other way I can prove this to you. Everyone knows about Labrada. It's pretty big. Or anyone in the fitness industry does, that is. I am just pointing to well known people. Please, give me the name of someone in the industry you know and I will find where they ALSO back up what I say.
    You're talking about bloggers and a guy who lies at great length about his past steroid use in a thread where people are actually talking about the science of fat burning and rebutting a deeply stupid OP. Sorry that it hurts your feelers that you're listening to cutting edge broscientists. :(
  • Sunny____
    Options
    And yet another one who says JUST what I said, "when will cardio will burn fat?" it is in the morning "fasted cardio".

I could go all night posting back up after back up of the three points I made above. All from people in the fitness industry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eIgweqKC8g
  • nevitt1978
    Options
    I used to do a bit of both and felt different benefit from both. Now I have had my second son (18 months) and haven't really purposely exercised since having my first son (3 years) and I am ready to start it all again. The only thing is, I am trying to change my shape. I am 5 feet 8 1/2 inches, 10st 5lbs and deemed a healthy weight BUT I have almost no tone anymore.... I run around after my little treasures all day, do a lot of vigorous house work (makes my heart rate increase, I am a little OCD) and I am out walking a lot with my sons (park etc). I attended a session last week, Bodypump...weights to music. I used to love this pre children but I did an hour and felt awful. Sounds ridiculous but I have never felt so sore and unwell. It took my body 3 full days to recover to the point where I could actually walk without crying to the bathroom or pick up my children! How is this? I warmed up, cooled down and didn't lift an excess. I am soooo put off by this terrible experience (remember I am not talking about a little of the 'burn' you often get, this was agonising) but am desperate to tone and change my shape.

How can I do this if weights caused all that pain and Cardio doesn't cut it???!???
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    And yet another one who says JUST what I said, "when will cardio will burn fat?" it is in the morning "fasted cardio".

I could go all night posting back up after back up of the three points I made above. All from people in the fitness industry.

As long as you have quotes from people who are trying to sell you things instead of actual facts and science to back you up. Who can resist the undeniable logic of an appeal to authority?
  • Sunny____
    Options
    If there are any trainers saying that HIIT burns primarily fat then they need to burn their certification.

HIIT burns nearly exclusively glycogen. Aerobic exercise under around 75% max heartrate burns 50% or more fat. The more aerobically conditioned one is the more fat they will burn at all intensities. Doing HIIT at the expense of lower intensity exercise will not build this aerobic conditioning.
    Agreed. You added a word to my quote and then said it was not true. I did NOT say it burns primarily fat. The word "primarily" was not in my statement. YOU said it. I had said that HIIT is a cardio exercise which burns fat. And it does. Please if you are going to quote me, take my exact quote and then comment. The thread says, "cardio doesn't burn fat". I showed three types of cardio which DOES burn fat. I can prove it til the cows come home.
  • Sunny____
    Options

As long as you have quotes from people who are trying to sell you things instead of actual facts and science to back you up. Who can resist the undeniable logic of an appeal to authority?
    Prove me wrong or get off the pot. He didn't try to sell me anything. I have given you four examples of ppl who back up my claims. Give me ONE counterclaim or give me the name of someone in the industry you admire and I will tell you what their view is and I bet you, they side with me.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Can you explain how I lost 300+ lbs. eating a 800-1000 calorie breakfast over the last 4 years, BEFORE I went to the gym 30 minutes later and did cardio???? I eat over 1200 calories for breakfast these days and am back eating in a slight calorie deficit......
  • Sunny____
    Options
    I used to do a bit of both and felt different benefit from both. Now I have had my second son (18 months) and haven't really purposely exercised since having my first son (3 years) and I am ready to start it all again. The only thing is, I am trying to change my shape. I am 5 feet 8 1/2 inches, 10st 5lbs and deemed a healthy weight BUT I have almost no tone anymore.... I run around after my little treasures all day, do a lot of vigorous house work (makes my heart rate increase, I am a little OCD) and I am out walking a lot with my sons (park etc). I attended a session last week, Bodypump...weights to music. I used to love this pre children but I did an hour and felt awful. Sounds ridiculous but I have never felt so sore and unwell. It took my body 3 full days to recover to the point where I could actually walk without crying to the bathroom or pick up my children! How is this? I warmed up, cooled down and didn't lift an excess. I am soooo put off by this terrible experience (remember I am not talking about a little of the 'burn' you often get, this was agonising) but am desperate to tone and change my shape.

How can I do this if weights caused all that pain and Cardio doesn't cut it???!???
    Body pump is cardio with small weights and high reps. If you haven't worked with weights in a while, even small ones, you will be sore. YOu just over did it that is all. If you continue you will be amazed at your progress after about a week or two. If need be, leave the class half way through until you can work up to the full 50 minutes. You also need to lift to tone. Heavy lifting. Congrats on your "treasures" aww!
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    Prove me wrong or get off the pot. He didn't try to sell me anything. I have given you four examples of ppl who back up my claims. Give me ONE counterclaim or give me the name of someone in the industry you admire and I will tell you what their view is and I bet you, they side with me.
    Did you just try to claim that people in the industry weren't trying to sell you something?

Good times. Good times.

Unfortunately, I don't really know many folks in the industry, because I'm not interested in people selling snakeoil and trying nutrition cures. But there's been enough science dropped on your head in here that I really don't have to add to that, and I can just stick to my wheelhouse - being snarky when people are using bad, bad logic.
    Can you explain how I lost 300+ lbs. eating a 800-1000 calorie breakfast over the last 4 years, BEFORE I went to the gym 30 minutes later and did cardio???? I eat over 1200 calories for breakfast these days and am back eating in a slight calorie deficit......
    The only way this is possible is if you were eating 800-1000 calories worth of Labrada Brand Peanut Bars®, available at your local retailer.
  • Sunny____
    Options

No I cannot explain that. The only thing I am explaining is that the OP said and I quote, "cardio does not burn fat". I just listed three ways that it does burn fat. Congrats on your success though.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Did you just try to claim that people in the industry weren't trying to sell you something?

Good times. Good times.

Unfortunately, I don't really know many folks in the industry, because I'm not interested in people selling snakeoil and trying nutrition cures. But there's been enough science dropped on your head in here that I really don't have to add to that, and I can just stick to my wheelhouse - being snarky when people are using bad, bad logic.
    The only way this is possible is if you were eating 800-1000 calories worth of Labrada Brand Peanut Bars®, available at your local retailer.

Good Lord then I better not tell them it was Pop Tarts and Crunchy peanut butter on bagel thins with drizzled honey and chocolate milk..... lol
  • Sunny____
    Options

My guess it would have been the opposite reason you got to 560+lbs which is insane.
    HAHAHAHA!
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    Good Lord then I better not tell them it was Pop Tarts and Crunchy peanut butter on bagel thins with drizzled honey and chocolate milk..... lol
    Labrada Brand Pop-Tarts®?
  • Sunny____
    Options

Good times. Good times.

Others may want to waste their time on you. A man who wants to do nothing more than to waste people's time. But I have no interest. YOu're going on ignore. They will soon discover they grow tired of you too.
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    Others may want to waste their time on you. A man who wants to do nothing more than to waste people's time. But I have no interest. YOu're going on ignore. They will soon discover they grow tired of you too.
    Nothing's quite so sad as the attention grab of "I'M IGNORING YOU NEENER NEENER." :(

I'll have to go drown my sorrows in some Labrada Brand Beef Jerky®. :(
  • Sunny____
    Options
    This thread isn't about the knocking the cardiovascular benefits of it... it's saying that it isn't nearly as effective from a fat loss perspective, which is true. People get really jumpy around here real fast....

Look to all the top fitness, physique, bodybuilding competitors... it wasn't built by cardio, it was built through resistance training.

CARDIO DOES BURN FAT. And cardio DOESN'T burn fat. It depends on how it is done.

Three ways it burns fat. . .

1. Interval cardio with HIIT: (ie walk, jog, run, repeat) for 20 - 30 minutes

2. Fasted cardio such as first thing in the morning after an overnight fast and before breakfast: When done on an empty stomach your body uses fat stores as energy (some say this is controversial).

4. After a weight lifting session which mostly burns carbs and calories, you then do cardio to burn fat.

A way that cardio DOES NOT burn fat is through long slow cardio. This has many benefits, but fat-burning is not one of them.

All cardio releases endorphins and seratonin (feel good hormones). Makes you sleep better the natural way and is better than an anti-depressant pill (for most people who are not suffering from chronic or severe depression as I can't comment on that. It is case by case no doubt).
    Here it is again.
    It was entirely incorrect the first time. Posting it again doesn't make it any less so. You completely misunderstand substrate utilization and energy pathways/usage.

You beat me to it!
    Well then prove it. Don't just talk the talk. Evidence please!