Cardio doesn't burn fat!!!

Options

Replies

• MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I do cardio so when zombies or a kidnapper chases after me, I can out run them. Seems beneficial to me.

Rule #1 of Zombieland!

Rule #20: It’s a marathon, not a sprint, unless it’s a sprint, then sprint

This bro is screwed.
  • lostinthe619
    Options
    Trollfest week in the forums. Weeeee! :drinker:

In this thread alone we've already reached pure gold.

1. Cardio vs Lifting.
    2. A woman says she doesn't lift because she doesn't want to get bulky.

Now all we need is someone to bust out "starvation mode" and this thread will be full of win.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    All the awards, I give them to you.

Finally, the recognition I so richly deserve! I'll put them on my mantle piece with that award I got in 3rd grade for finally learning to tie my laces.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    Forget it, 2 strikes, I'm not wasting my 3rd on you
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Now all we need is someone to bust out "starvation mode" and this thread will be full of win.

Damn, I want to stay and play on this thread but I have to go eat breakfast before I slip into starvation mode...
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I do cardio so when zombies or a kidnapper chases after me, I can out run them. Seems beneficial to me.

Rule #1 of Zombieland!

Rule #20: It’s a marathon, not a sprint, unless it’s a sprint, then sprint

This bro is screwed.

He was screwed after Rule 7. :laugh:
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I LOVE broscience! :D
  • Game8
    Options
    lol

:laugh:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    actually there should be a mixture of cardio and weight training, i'm over 200lbs if weight training were my only form of exercise i'd look like a beefed up man. no thanks :indifferent:

Untrue. You lack the testosterone to bulk, especially when you have a caloric deficit. People don`t accidentally look like fitness models.

Some women have higher levels of testosterone and can certainly bulk up, even without a high calorie intake. I came across a picture of me 20 yrs ago when I was lifting, and I look like a linebacker! I was actually losing weight during that time, slowly, but it was coming off. I am very muscular, genetically, and it doesn't take much for my muscles to respond.

no, just no.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    All the awards, I give them to you.

Finally, the recognition I so richly deserve! I'll put them on my mantle piece with that award I got in 3rd grade for finally learning to tie my laces.

This calls for high fives all around.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    actually there should be a mixture of cardio and weight training, i'm over 200lbs if weight training were my only form of exercise i'd look like a beefed up man. no thanks :indifferent:
    Sounds like you should lay off the anabolic steroids. That's the only way a woman ends up looking like a "beefed up man".
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I guess it's been a few days since a weight lifter told us cardio was useless.
  • StaceySuperfly
    StaceySuperfly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    All studies done on aerobics show that they don't significantly accelerate fat loss than dieting alone. Why then whenever someone wants to lose fat or "get abs" they jump on the elliptical and start swinging and sweating thinking it's a great idea?? The only benefit is basically allowing you to eat more food. That's it. I doubt they're doing it for the cardiovascular benefits either. So if by the end of the day you're at a caloric deficit, you will lose the same amount of fat with or without cardio.

Weight lifting on the other hand has been shown to accelerate fat loss by up to 50% than dieting alone or dieting and cardio. I really genuinely feel sad when I see someone doing an hour or two of cardio on my news feed, and it's for all the wrong reasons..
    [/quote

Question for you. I'm 48, Female, 212 lb, just had my lumbar spine fused L3-5 and am awaiting surgery for a frozen hip. I cannot lift more than 15 pounds, will I still burn more fat than cardio by using my resistance tubes? I use the medium strength tubes and do some things on the ball and some standing. Serious question here!
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Why do we all seem to just bash each other in here??? Do some cardio, do some lifting, eat happily ever after and be done with it. Seems every time I come in here theres a discussion about whos right and who's wrong LOL
  • Game8
    Options
    If anyone can show me a single reliable scientific study showing that aerobics help burn significantly more fat than dieting alone, I'll never make another forum post ever again. Srs.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I enjoy both cardio and strength training. However, as another poster has said - you seem confused.

And I'm one of those who actually enjoy cardio BECAUSE of the cardiovascular benefits. I love the way my breathing feels after a good run. My entire respiratory system feels clear and healthy for the day. I love the sound of my heart trying to pump out as much blood as it can.

I also run because I get a high from it. As a recovering drug addict, the high I get from a good run is paramount to staying sober.

So knock on cardio all you want, but knock on it to yourself, please.

It's good you enjoy cardio. But I think 90% of people look at it as torture. Ask any random overweight person at your gym how "high" they're feeling while they huff and puff on the treadmill, their facial expression should give you an idea.

Oh, I don't do gyms. My gym is outside and using my own body. I don't think I could handle the influx of differentiating opinions on how things "should" be done.

GM274.gif
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Then what does it burn? :indifferent:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Ah, the hamsters spinning on their wheels.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Really, the best way to burn fat is by doing a good cleanse. You need to release all the toxins from your body that have accumulated over the years from bad eating. Once you release the toxins, your body will begin to burn fat more efficiently because it's not bogged down by the toxins.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Then what does it burn? :indifferent:

Our will to live.