Cardio doesn't burn fat!!!

Options

Replies

• skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i will say ive done cuts before where i done 0 cardio and it took me nearly 20 weeks to get a decent 6 pack and this time ive been cutting for 2 weeks and im dropping a TON more weight than i did before, my strength is staying the same and i do 20 - 30 mins jogging every morning on a empty stomach, do what the hell you want, at the end of the day if you put the work into something and you want to achieve something so bad you will achieve it, no matter how you go around doing it
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I once had a shirtless young man tell me how to best manage menopause.:bigsmile:

I believe this would only be good if he had abs and was holding bacon, then he would be worth something.
    Obviously. :happy:
  • sowenby1984
    sowenby1984 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    After reading all these posts, I think the point he was "trying" to make was at the end of the day deficit is a deficit if you have a deficit you will lose weight, but muscle burns more calories than fat does, Sooo by lifting and gaining more muscle you will there for burn more fat...... But you will still burn fat doing only cardio just not as quickly........ Right..... well at least that's what I got out of it. Now lets all have a protein shake and try to get along lol :bigsmile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: your failure, it seems, was to ASSume everyone had the same goals you have.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. Cardio does zilch for burning fat. Diet is the key thing for fat loss. Too many people think because the do cardio, they have a golden ticket to eat junk food.

It's like a mutual support group of shirtless people...
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    you guys are totally ruining my attempt to hijack this thread with bacon.
  • jerryallegood
    jerryallegood Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The point is to burn calories, right? Most people get more banc for their buck doing cardio. Even hijgh MR circuit training is a cardio workout. The purpose of cardio is CR fitness.The more fit in the CR area a person is, the better able thy are to burn calories. If the heart isn't healthy you stand a chance of dieting younger. Buff but not healthy? A balanced program of strength, cardio, and flexibility insures better calorie burn in the long run. Most of the P90-X workouts combine elements of all three exercise types and a nutrition plan. All Beach-Body workouts do. That is why they are so successful. All successful programs include the four elements resistance, CR, flexibility, and nutrition.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Does cardio burn cake?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Sorry. It's because I'm vegetarian.

YOU SHOULD ALL STOP EATING DEAD ANIMALS.

There you go. Now his trolling really is complete.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting on the other hand has been shown to accelerate fat loss by up to 50% than dieting alone or dieting and cardio.

I'm intrigued as I haven't come across this in my research thus far. I'd love to read the study. Can you send it to me? Thanks!
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Does cardio burn cake?

No, but eating cake burns calories because you're engaging your jaw muscles by chewing.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

First of all I agree about the Duke study BUT

"I believe, and actually the absolute data seems to confirm it, that resistance training plus aerobic training together trumps either type of training by itself. The study authors themselves point out that each type of training has its own set of benefits. But apparently, factoring in the increased time commitment of doing both, they judged in favor of aerobics only as the preferred option for decreasing fat mass."

Even the website you're quoting (which is hardly unbiased) would not agree with the OP. So whichever way you look at it discounting cardo as having no value apart from allowing you to eat more is pretty idiotic.

I agree with a combination of strength training and cardio. All I was trying to point out is that the Duke study shouldn't be viewed as conclusive.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

First of all I agree about the Duke study BUT

"I believe, and actually the absolute data seems to confirm it, that resistance training plus aerobic training together trumps either type of training by itself. The study authors themselves point out that each type of training has its own set of benefits. But apparently, factoring in the increased time commitment of doing both, they judged in favor of aerobics only as the preferred option for decreasing fat mass."

Even the website you're quoting (which is hardly unbiased) would not agree with the OP. So whichever way you look at it discounting cardo as having no value apart from allowing you to eat more is pretty idiotic.

I agree with you. Although, I think if a person who is extremely overweight has an option then cardio is their best bet considering they're probably going to give up with the progress that weight lifting shows alone. Now for those closer to their goal (such as myself) a program dedicated to weights and some cardio makes more sense. I don't think I'd cut cardio out completely though, there's something to be said about be in cardiovascular shape.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. Cardio does zilch for burning fat. Diet is the key thing for fat loss. Too many people think because the do cardio, they have a golden ticket to eat junk food.
    Wrong.

Cardio can be used as a means of calorie reduction. You can only reduce calories so much from your diet. Regarding the junk food comment. You're wrong again.
    Wrong about the junk food? What do you mean? Cardio can be used as a calorie reduction but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that much.

Now cardio does have it's place. If you are doing cardio for the heal benefits or training for a sport, then do cardio.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    A common theme around here.
    I once had a shirtless young man tell me how to best manage menopause.:bigsmile:

That wouldn't help my hot flashes :blushing:
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I do cardio so when zombies or a kidnapper chases after me, I can out run them. Seems beneficial to me.

I do it for the zombies.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options

Sorry. It's because I'm vegetarian.

YOU SHOULD ALL STOP EATING DEAD ANIMALS.

There you go. Now his trolling really is complete.

I saw a post earlier that said there was veggie bacon... so......
    and it was on the inet so it must be true...

thank you for your support lol
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    to get ripped or get to a real low bf% cardio is totally irrelevant, you can get to to the body weight you want with diet and weight lifting alone, however cardio imo lets you be more flexible with your diet and it definitely speeds up the process of fat loss, if i didnt enjoy hiit cardio i wouldnt do it, but i do so i do it

actually you can get to any bodyweight you want without ANY cardio or lifting.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I do understand cardio seems to be a sensitive topic around here, let's just discuss another topic until everyone calms down.