Why are men intimidated by Succecssful Women ?

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• Guillotined
    Guillotined Posts: 115
    Options
    < single and looking for successful women! :blushing: lol

But to be on topic: I can see how most guys feel that their purpose is to provide. Us men are ugly creatures, so all we would have left is charm. Some men just can't handle that lol.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Its a turn on. Successful women are hot.

But here is my gripe. When I am out on a date, I do not want to talk about work, nor do I want to check my work phone constantly every few minutes. So thats where I draw the line. I have worked in very important jobs and not many people can say they have achieved more, so if I am able to turn it off for a date, the woman should be able to do so too.

Ok ^ is a reasonable expectation for just basically civil behaviour, but I think it points to the one thing (*sometimes*) related to success that might put men off, which is feeling deprived of a certain kind of attention. A MILLION (yeah actually a million) studies show how much happier men are in marriage, because of the emotional and domestic work women do to support them. Same studies show women are worse off in terms of stress. Some busy, driven women are better than others at also being nurturing 'enough'.

Re negative emotions even very junior men might feel about a powerful female senior - haven't seen intimidation or fear as often as contempt. They'll probably denigrate her behind her back, or take for granted they'll have her job given time, before they cower.

If men are actually *intimidated* by anything woman-related, it's more likely to be beauty.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options

But here is my gripe. When I am out on a date, I do not want to talk about work, nor do I want to check my work phone constantly every few minutes. So thats where I draw the line. I have worked in very important jobs and not many people can say they have achieved more, so if I am able to turn it off for a date, the woman should be able to do so too.

Ok ^ is a reasonable expectation for just basically civil behaviour, but I think it points to the one thing (*sometimes*) related to success that might put men off, which is feeling deprived of a certain kind of attention. A MILLION (yeah actually a million) studies show how much happier men are in marriage, because of the emotional and domestic work women do to support them. Same studies show women are worse off in terms of stress. Some busy, driven women are better than others at also being nurturing 'enough'.

Re negative emotions even very junior men might feel about a powerful female senior - haven't seen intimidation or fear as often as contempt. They'll probably denigrate her behind her back, or take for granted they'll have her job given time, before they cower.

If men are actually *intimidated* by anything woman-related, it's more likely to be beauty.

My personal experience has been that there are people, both men and women, who do the checking-your-phone routine every few minutes because it makes them feel important. I cannot stand that. At my job I deal with multi-million dollar transactions, yet despise the work phone after hours and on weekends, so if a gal who is an assistant to some hot shot professional wants to check her phone every few minutes, it will be a short evening. Exceptions are there, where maybe you are waiting for a important email, but usually frowned upon.

My best date, and a very nice relationship that followed, was with a woman who told me on a first date that she did not bring with her any phones, because she liked to disconnect. I did not know how successful she really was until I got to know her better. She was more successful than me, and I learned so much from her about life and food and art. Loved it!

Also, at a lot of workplaces, men call women *****es, and I could not understand it. But then I understood as I climbed up the ladder. It is because they do not respect these women and are threatened by them. the women in turn learn to have a serious demeanor to be taken seriously, which is then deemed *****y. The woman in a high position has to have the game face on, or she would not be taken seriously by the old white club. This is truer in the financial industry.

Anyway, a successful woman who can turn it off, can teach you a thing or 2, is H O T.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options

My personal experience has been that there are people, both men and women, who do the checking-your-phone routine every few minutes because it makes them feel important. I cannot stand that. At my job I deal with multi-million dollar transactions, yet despise the work phone after hours and on weekends, so if a gal who is an assistant to some hot shot professional wants to check her phone every few minutes, it will be a short evening. Exceptions are there, where maybe you are waiting for a important email, but usually frowned upon.

My best date, and a very nice relationship that followed, was with a woman who told me on a first date that she did not bring with her any phones, because she liked to disconnect. I did not know how successful she really was until I got to know her better. She was more successful than me, and I learned so much from her about life and food and art. Loved it!

Also, at a lot of workplaces, men call women *****es, and I could not understand it. But then I understood as I climbed up the ladder. It is because they do not respect these women and are threatened by them. the women in turn learn to have a serious demeanor to be taken seriously, which is then deemed *****y. The woman in a high position has to have the game face on, or she would not be taken seriously by the old white club. This is truer in the financial industry.

Anyway, a successful woman who can turn it off, can teach you a thing or 2, is H O T.

Oh yeah, no, I know exactly what you meant; you were talking about simple respect. Unrepentant phone-checkers of either gender are jerks, I agree. It just made me think about other kinds of attention, which tend to fall more along gendered lines.

Also agree re perceptions of female authority, and strategies to secure it, in business.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Why do Strong, Successful, Talented, Women intimidate Most Men.

Just an Observation i had found to be so true in my own life.

Why is this ??? Any thoughts???

I rather doubt you have met "most" men. :smile: