It's nearly impossible!

Options

Replies

• Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    That breakfast sounds delicious, and fairly healthy too. The only reason I track my sugar as a macronutrient (as opposed to fiber or other options) is because sugar is my nemesis. If I see that I'm already in the red, I'll be less likely to choose the processed sugars and more likely to feed my sweet tooth with fruit and other healthier sources of sugar. I too go over on sugar with my breakfast sometimes-- all it takes is a half cup of granola, 3/4 cup of raisin bran knockoff cereal, and a nonfat yogurt.

If you don't find yourself eating the cookies, sugary cereals, or whatever else throughout your day, I wouldn't worry about the fruit and touch of honey affecting you long-term, UNLESS you are prone to hypoglycemia or diabetes or something. If that's the case I'd definitely recommend getting bloodwork done and talking to your doctor.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Don't worry folks, the people who think sugar is fine just don't understand it's impact in insulin production and how critical that is to weight loss. And before I get an eyebrow expression, I'm talking about refined processed sugar and carbs that people eat, not understanding how it works inside the body. The reason most people go over on sugar, is because we eat way too much of it without paying attention. Then, when it goes over everyday, people come to the idiotic conclusion, that they'll just ignore it. Lol. Um, yeah, that's awesome. And, makes perfect sense. You should all seriously take advice from people that just say, "I just ignore it" lol. Wow. Really?

Assuming that you have no medical issues, you are under your calories, and that your calories are at a reasonable place to begin with, sugar will not make you fat.

I just ignore it. I've lost 17 lbs so far. But that's nothing. Several of my best friends here ignore it and have lost well over 100 lbs.

Yeah, definitely don't listen to them. People who have lost 100 lbs have no idea what's up. /sarcasm.

I didn't say it will make you fat. It will slow your progress.

You said people should not take advice from those who say to just ignore it.

which is not the same as saying it will make you fat.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Sugar well fructose get's turned into fatty acids which then turns to fat in the body - why do you think the recommendation is 2 serves of fruit a day - sure there's good benefits of the fiber and other nutrients, but too much fructose will make you fat. Also sugar ups your insulin levels in the body which makes your body store fat. Fructose makes the brain leptin resistant, which means that the brain doesn’t “see” all the stored fat in the body and thinks that it is starving. This causes a powerful leptin-induced biochemical drive to keep eating even when we don’t need to.

Sugar doesn't make us fat? You've got to be kidding. A calorie is not a calorie -

Please read this

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

you are talking rubbish.

Did you even read the article? That article is talking specifically about insulin......not anything else. At the end, it pointed out that high carb meals (sugar being a prime enemy for that) typically have more calories and can be a problem. BTW, the original person talking about skipping juices and sticking with the actual fruits that the juices come from is correct. Orange juice is terrible for you compared to having an orange and a glass of water.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    Don't worry folks, the people who think sugar is fine just don't understand it's impact in insulin production and how critical that is to weight loss. And before I get an eyebrow expression, I'm talking about refined processed sugar and carbs that people eat, not understanding how it works inside the body. The reason most people go over on sugar, is because we eat way too much of it without paying attention. Then, when it goes over everyday, people come to the idiotic conclusion, that they'll just ignore it. Lol. Um, yeah, that's awesome. And, makes perfect sense. You should all seriously take advice from people that just say, "I just ignore it" lol. Wow. Really?

OK I'm going to post this link for the last time

Protein also spikes insulin.

"Carbohydrates get a bad rap because of their effect on insulin, but protein stimulates insulin secretion as well. In fact, it can be just as potent of a stimulus for insulin as carbohydrate"

why is the mantra a calorie is just a calorie the mantra..........unless it comes to protein? sugars also have hormonal effects that can be part of the equation, from my understanding it is not quite so simple as a cal is a cal.. If so then why track macros at all. I was diagnosed diabetic 3 yrs ago been to half dozen docs and nutritionists the ONLY thing they agree on is stay away from added sugars regardless of the diabetes its all so confusing with all the experts having differing views. I realize calorie in calorie out simplicity when it comes to lbs lost, but I think we are talking about health more than lbs.

actually that applies to protein as well - most people agree that the macros you need to track are carbs / protein / fat and as long as you have a good balance that works for you all is good. You will keep good health if you have a nice balance ie I do 40/30/30, I don't worry about sugar just try to stay in my carbs goal. Yes eating less sugar that comes from cookies etc is not a bad idea but it since once it's in your body it gets processed the same its not the be all and end all.

And I'm out because the rugby is starting and I need to pour myself a pint of cider - mmmm sugar lovely alcoholic sugar :drinker:

I don't click on links, so whatever. I'll trust that it's a good read. In the end, everyone do what they want. But, no one can refute that it's idiotic that because you go over sugar everyday, to come to the conclusion that its impossible, therefore, just ignore it. Am I the only sane person here? That's just completely asinine. You can stay under by, wait for it, NOT EATING SO MUCH SUGAR.

^Here, let me translate your post:

"I don't care about the information you're providing me, because I want to believe that my way is best. No one can refute that, because obviously my way is the best way. Am I the only sane person here? All sugar is terrible for you and there's no such thing as healthy sugar. If you really wanted to eat healthy like me you'd be able to cut sugar completely out of your diet."
  • ikudbne12
    ikudbne12 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    "All sugar is broken down into metabolic building blocks by your body whether it comes from milk, fruit or soda. There is a difference, however, in what the body is able to produce with the different types of sugar after breaking it down. Refined sugars have been shown to produce a rapid and high rise in blood glucose whereas sugar from most whole fruits produces a gradual rise in blood glucose, according to the University of Sydney. Whole fruits are also high in soluble fiber which slows the release of sugar into the bloodstream and they are packed with vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, and antioxidants. "http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/fruit_versus_sugar_a_sweet_benefit

Not all sugars are created equal apparently.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Assuming that you have no medical issues, you are under your calories, and that your calories are at a reasonable place to begin with, sugar will not make you fat.

I just ignore it. I've lost 17 lbs so far. But that's nothing. Several of my best friends here ignore it and have lost well over 100 lbs.

Yeah, definitely don't listen to them. People who have lost 100 lbs have no idea what's up. /sarcasm.

I didn't say it will make you fat. It will slow your progress.

You said people should not take advice from those who say to just ignore it.

Exactly. Sound advice.

The point of my post was not to say that you said sugar would make people fat.

The point of my post was that many people have achieved much success just ignoring it.

And I see that Coach has jumped in on this thread, so I'm leaving now.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    "All sugar is broken down into metabolic building blocks by your body whether it comes from milk, fruit or soda. There is a difference, however, in what the body is able to produce with the different types of sugar after breaking it down. Refined sugars have been shown to produce a rapid and high rise in blood glucose whereas sugar from most whole fruits produces a gradual rise in blood glucose, according to the University of Sydney. Whole fruits are also high in soluble fiber which slows the release of sugar into the bloodstream and they are packed with vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, and antioxidants. "http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/fruit_versus_sugar_a_sweet_benefit

Not all sugars are created equal apparently.

^This. Yes, there are certain foods like bananas that get a bad rep for being too high in sugar and don't have the fiber to balance it out, but it's not BAD to eat fresh fruits! It's not even terrible to eat canned ones, or juices, so long as they are mostly natural and don't have heavy syrup or extra sugar added! Just because something is high in natural sugar doesn't mean we should never ever eat it. *rolls eyes*
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Hmm . . . I'm so scared of spiking my insulin this is now what ALL my meals are going to look like.

1 table spoon of butter

1 tablespoon of olive oil

1 table spoon of pure goose fat

1 table spoon of vegetable oil.

I don't want to spike my big scary insulin.

This is one thing I'm sick of on these boards. Lame responses. If you want to discuss, be intelligent about it and have some reasoning. Your proposal is ridiculous at best.

Any ideas how to help the OP without being coy?

Since you refuse to read articles that someone has already posted I did decide to be coy.

I already gave my advice to the OP on page one.

Does my previous diet look like a healthy meal to you?

My point is that any balanced meal will spike insulin. I think insulin gets an extremely bad name in the diet community when in fact it's a perfectly healthy metabolic process.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I don't click on links, so whatever. I'll trust that it's a good read. In the end, everyone do what they want. But, no one can refute that it's idiotic that because you go over sugar everyday, to come to the conclusion that its impossible, therefore, just ignore it. Am I the only sane person here? That's just completely asinine. You can stay under by, wait for it, NOT EATING SO MUCH SUGAR.

I agree with Cr01502. You say that you want to have a discussion but then you refuse to check out sources or provide any of your own, then you proceed to say anyone who disagrees with you is idiotic and fails to understand logic.

I'm not weighing in on either side of the debate, I'm just pointing out how bad you look here.
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    not all meals effect insulin in same way trust me i check my bs 4 to 5 times a day i dont understand how all the posters can be so sure of their responses for every study that shows A another shows B, I dont understand it with the SL devotees(cultists) lol either I guess it is all about what works for YOU I know for me sugar spikes my BS and it definitely seems to make me hungrier. I read a post that said that people have lost 100lbs or more without watching sugar, thats great for them. I have a buddy lost over 100 consuming 80 to 90% of his calories from alcohol hes dead now but he did lose weight
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Sugar well fructose get's turned into fatty acids which then turns to fat in the body - why do you think the recommendation is 2 serves of fruit a day - sure there's good benefits of the fiber and other nutrients, but too much fructose will make you fat. Also sugar ups your insulin levels in the body which makes your body store fat. Fructose makes the brain leptin resistant, which means that the brain doesn’t “see” all the stored fat in the body and thinks that it is starving. This causes a powerful leptin-induced biochemical drive to keep eating even when we don’t need to.

Sugar doesn't make us fat? You've got to be kidding. A calorie is not a calorie -

Interesting...I've noticed when I eat a lot of processed sugary foods or drink a lot of soda, I just want more. However, if I measure it out and keep it in moderation, I seem to do alright. I would be interested in knowing how MFP determined the sodium, sugar, etc numbers. I almost always go over my sugar value, even without any processed sugars for the day.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I don't track my sugar at all and it hasn't slowed me down one bit...
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Please read this

you are talking rubbish.

Did you even read the article? That article is talking specifically about insulin......not anything else. At the end, it pointed out that high carb meals (sugar being a prime enemy for that) typically have more calories and can be a problem. BTW, the original person talking about skipping juices and sticking with the actual fruits that the juices come from is correct. Orange juice is terrible for you compared to having an orange and a glass of water.

The link was in response to the part that I have in bold. Yes I read it, and I have said contently that more cals from any source = weight gain. My point is that sugar is not evil or the enemy.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Please read this

you are talking rubbish.

Quite agree, the article is irrelevant and a reminder to me not to follow every link that people post. Any argument that uses phrases like "that is not the point" is not worth reading.

Having seen this argument go around several times in the last few weeks there are a few basic facts that everyone can understand without a degree in digestive biology.

If you live on high sugar foods (cake, chocolate, non-diet soda, sweets, candy, et al) you will gain weight unless you use the calories. Period. End of.

High sugar based diets are a major cause of diabetes and other related diseases. This is well known and documented.

Refined sugar has zero nutrients. That is why it is called "refined". All you are doing is eating calories.

To answer the OP's question....
    As has already been stated, to make a glass of orange juice requires a large number of oranges that you would not normally eat in one sitting. This is why it is high in sugar, but at least it is a naturally occurring sugar. Smoothies follow the same argument - when would you normally eat that much fruit in one sitting??!

If you want to watch sugar levels, ditch the juice. HOWEVER, ditch the full fat soda, cakes, chocolate, and other high sugar foods first.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Please read this

you are talking rubbish.

Quite agree, the article is irrelevant and a reminder to me not to follow every link that people post. Any argument that uses phrases like "that is not the point" is not worth reading.

Having seen this argument go around several times in the last few weeks there are a few basic facts that everyone can understand without a degree in digestive biology.

If you live on high sugar foods (cake, chocolate, non-diet soda, sweets, candy, et al) you will gain weight unless you use the calories. Period. End of.

High sugar based diets are a major cause of diabetes and other related diseases. This is well known and documented.

Refined sugar has zero nutrients. That is why it is called "refined". All you are doing is eating calories.

To answer the OP's question....
    As has already been stated, to make a glass of orange juice requires a large number of oranges that you would not normally eat in one sitting. This is why it is high in sugar, but at least it is a naturally occurring sugar. Smoothies follow the same argument - when would you normally eat that much fruit in one sitting??!

If you want to watch sugar levels, ditch the juice. HOWEVER, ditch the full fat soda, cakes, chocolate, and other high sugar foods first.

Great post.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

where have I said this isn't true? that is also true of ANY food if you eat more calories that you consume. My link was in response to this - key work in bold since you seem to be ignoring some of my responses.

"sugar ups your insulin levels in the body which makes your body store fat."

Again sugar is not evil or the enemy too much of anything is bad for you. Eat in moderation.

I'm not out of this as I just CBA.