AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Body re-composition > skinny fat
    Oh, please DO expound....
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Agree, but what does that have to do with anything in this discussion? Are you implying you can't achieve a good body composition with pop tarts or ice cream?
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    fellow daily pop tart eater checking in

Looks like pop tarts cause melanoma. Have you had that looked at?

3715777_3955_thumb.jpg

The markings on your arm.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I am not too fond of store bought Pop Tarts but I sure do love my home made ones with Nutella and Strawberry jam! Makes me drool just thinking of them. Now I need to go get some Ice Cream!

recipe please :flowerforyou:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Seriously though, in 500+ responses since my OP no one has actually shown me why they're labeled as "junk" food (pop tarts). I'm especially curious as to how ice cream can be labeled as such? Is it the sugar-phobia?

Edited for horrid grammar

because they don't have any significant benefit nutritionally?

How so? Carbs, fat, protein, vitamins (and some micros too)...

have you ever heard the term "empty calories"

don't believe in them?
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Seriously though, in 500+ responses since my OP no one has actually shown me why they're labeled as "junk" food (pop tarts). I'm especially curious as to how ice cream can be labeled as such? Is it the sugar-phobia?

Real ice cream is not junk :love: - the low fat low sugar stuff though......... :noway:
    QFT

If you're going to do it, do it right.
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    Hope we get to round 3.

That's where I tell I you I wouldn't feed pop tarts to my dog, let alone myself, let alone a child.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Pop tart is the perfect bulking food.

In for part 2

When I was bulking I could eat 8 a day, now I have to cut that in half.:sad:

:heart:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

I do hope you are joking. I know of at least one RIPPED, gorgeous MFP member here who eats ice cream daily.

Anyway, here is my little contribution. In looking for poptart ice cream images, I found this treasure. Apparently, she took chocolate chip cookie dough, sandwiched it between 2 pieces of pie crust, baked it, and slopped ice cream and chocolate syrup on top. I'm gonna' make it.

QOukoOA.jpg
  • magerum
    Options

don't believe in them?

What's EMPTY about them? Please explain it to me. Define it.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am not too fond of store bought Pop Tarts but I sure do love my home made ones with Nutella and Strawberry jam! Makes me drool just thinking of them. Now I need to go get some Ice Cream!

Pie dough either home made or store bought rolled out. If you want a true Pop Tart shape cut rectangles or use a biscuit cutter and cut out a round. Take a bit of Nutella, spread over leaving the edge free add strawberry jam if desired. top with a second piece for dough. Crimp the edges with a fork and bake. I actually have a Pop Tart cutter I am embarrassed to admit.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone has said screw it and just had them both together....

What together?

Sorry....my bad. I was talking about a Pop Tart and a Toaster Strudel.
    Toaster strudel on bottom, pop tart on top, ben and jerrys in the middle.

Seriously? Toaster strudel (squishy and flimsy as it is) on the bottom? A delicious bottom crust of pop tart would be much more suitable. After that I think all flavors are up to the individual. The bottom and top crust protocol screams for a sturdy bottom - the toasted pop tart.
  • magerum
    Options
    Hope we get to round 3.

That's where I tell I you I wouldn't feed pop tarts to my dog, let alone myself, let alone a child.

I hope not, sugar can cause worms in canines.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

don't believe in them?

They must be special snowflake calories - or maybe elite calories. All the ones I eat aren't empty - they contain either protein (4 kcal/g), carbohydrates (4 kcal/g), fats (9 kcal/g) or alcohols (7 kcal/g). Doesn't look empty to me.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: Pop-Tarts! I :heart: ice cream. Never dreamed of putting the two together. Likely won't because I can just imagine the one he!! of a sugar headache I would get from that. So, yes, I truly limit both in my diet. Having a package of Pop-Tarts every afternoon at my desk is a good part of what ended up driving me to this site. *sigh*

Oh, and I wouldn't turn a toaster strudel down, either! :wink:
  • magerum
    Options

don't believe in them?

They must be special snowflake calories - or maybe elite calories. All the ones I eat aren't empty - they contain either protein (4 kcal/g), carbohydrates (4 kcal/g), fats (9 kcal/g) or alcohols (7 kcal/g). Doesn't look empty to me.

Thank you.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Pie dough either home made or store bought rolled out. If you want a true Pop Tart shape cut rectangles or use a biscuit cutter and cut out a round. Take a bit of Nutella, spread over leaving the edge free add strawberry jam if desired. top with a second piece for dough. Crimp the edges with a fork and bake. I actually have a Pop Tart cutter I am embarrassed to admit.

ohhh thanks

is it a sweet pie dough - dumb question but us Brits mainly do savouries pies :blushing:
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Mon 03/11/13 04:21 PM
    QUOTE:

I can tell you, my ice cream is not junk.

Have you met the cow that made it or did you get it in a store?
    Price?
    How was the milk used to make the ice cream produced? Were the cows stressed?
    What type of injections were the cow given?
    Is the belief that your ice cream isn't junk based on personal taste buds?

I'll accept a nutritional content label if that's all ya got but I'd rather know about the cow's stress levels and vaccination history.
    Edited by Tom_Jones74 on Mon 03/11/13 04:22 PM
    Report Post Quote Reply

^^^^^
    This..... Simply full of wtf?!?

Can't be serious, I honestly do not care, how stressed the cow giving me my milk is!

I do love ice cream though, eat some everyday!
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    ^^^^^^^

I hope you are not referring to me :wink:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I need the recipe of the brown sugar cinnamon filling. I can get the pie crust, but don't have a clue what to put between it. Any suggestions??? uh, hurry.