Eating Pop Tarts and ice cream daily.

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Nope

Most people: all good in moderation
    a few people: butthurt whine whine that might work for you on your calorie allowance, but it won't work for me
    a few people: would rather have veggies. veggies =/= poptarts.
    one person: pop tarts = illegal drugs and smoking.

Lol - this is such a good summary ... it made me think this could almost be a summary of nearly every post I have ever read on mfp!!!

Apparently we now have the ridiculous and really rather rude comment that pop tarts = melanoma!
    drowning.jpg
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Seriously though, in 500+ responses since my OP no one has actually shown me why they're labeled as "junk" food (pop tarts). I'm especially curious as to how ice cream can be labeled as such? Is it the sugar-phobia?

Edited for horrid grammar

because they don't have any significant benefit nutritionally?

How so? Carbs, fat, protein, vitamins (and some micros too)...

have you ever heard the term "empty calories"

don't believe in them?

What's EMPTY about them? Please explain it to me. Define it.
    They must be special snowflake calories - or maybe elite calories. All the ones I eat aren't empty - they contain either protein (4 kcal/g), carbohydrates (4 kcal/g), fats (9 kcal/g) or alcohols (7 kcal/g). Doesn't look empty to me.

from your beloved FDA:
    Currently, many of the foods and beverages Americans eat and drink contain empty calories – calories from solid fats and/or added sugars. Solid fats and added sugars add calories to the food but few or no nutrients. For this reason, the calories from solid fats and added sugars in a food are often called empty calories. Learning more about solid fats and added sugars can help you make better food and drink choices.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/calories/empty-calories.html
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    also this:

[/quote]Empty calories, in casual dietary terminology, are a measure of the digestible energy present in high-energy foods with little nutritional value, typically processed carbohydrates and ethanol (alcohol), and to some extent fats. Also known as a discretionary calorie, an "empty calorie" has the same energy content as any other calorie but lacks many accompanying nutrients such as vitamins, dietary minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, or dietary fiber. [/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_calorie
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    You are now saying dairy is junk....give me a break

Dairy isn't junk, and I never said it was.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I only eat ice cream made from the milk from cows fed on the green, green grass of home...

I love the fact that you are eating wholesome ice cream, I hope that everyone does the same. Was it you or somebody else in part 1 that made his own? I'd buy that for a dollar.

I thought milk was junk!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Then what were you saying with your diatribe?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    The USDA:
    The greater the consumption of foods or beverages that are low in nutrient density, the more difficult it is to consume enough nutrients without gaining weight, especially for sedentary individuals. The consumption of added sugars, saturated and trans fats, and alcohol provides calories while providing little, if any, of the essential nutrients. (See ch. 7 for additional information on added sugars, ch. 6 for information on fats, and ch. 9 for information on alcohol.)

http://www.health.gov/DIETARYGUIDELINES/dga2005/document/html/chapter2.htm
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I can tell you, my ice cream is not junk.

Have you met the cow that made it or did you get it in a store?
    Price?
    How was the milk used to make the ice cream produced? Were the cows stressed?
    What type of injections were the cow given?
    Is the belief that your ice cream isn't junk based on personal taste buds?
    :ohwell:

I'll accept a nutritional content label if that's all ya got but I'd rather know about the cow's stress levels and vaccination history.

This diatribe
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    From http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/october2010/10252010emptycalories.htm
    Nearly 40% of the energy consumed by 2- to 18-year-olds comes in the form of "empty" calories—those from solid fats and added sugars—a new study has found. Half of those empty calories come from the solid fats and added sugars in just 6 sources: soda, fruit drinks, dairy desserts, grain desserts, pizza and whole milk.
  • Tom_Jones74
    Options
    i've had skin cancer before srs :)

Was it associated with diet or sun exposure or something else?
  • Tom_Jones74
    Options
    Sorry, I was trying to spread some more propaganda.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The USDA:
    The greater the consumption of foods or beverages that are low in nutrient density, the more difficult it is to consume enough nutrients without gaining weight, especially for sedentary individuals. The consumption of added sugars, saturated and trans fats, and alcohol provides calories while providing little, if any, of the essential nutrients. (See ch. 7 for additional information on added sugars, ch. 6 for information on fats, and ch. 9 for information on alcohol.)

You'd trust the USDA??
  • Tom_Jones74
    Options

Some dairy products are better than others.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    poptartice.jpg

tumblr_lncwnryymB1qcn3o7o1_1280-560x386.jpg

high_satisfaction_12.jpg

tumblr_ls173w5xdJ1qfpcnio1_500.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Some dairy products are better than others.

Yes it is...swiss is better than provolone
  • Tom_Jones74
    Options
    i've had skin cancer before srs :)

Was it associated with diet or sun exposure or something else?

Seriously, I've dealt with Cancer and Cancer deaths a few times, pm me if it hasn't been shared already or you're not comfortable sharing or whatever.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The USDA:

Just as well there is a nifty calorie tracker on this here ole site isn't it!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Hope we get to round 3.

That's where I tell I you I wouldn't feed pop tarts to my dog, let alone myself, let alone a child.

I hope not, sugar can cause worms in canines.

What about in children? And adults for that matter?

Adults, a-ok, you made that clear.

Should children eat pop tarts, yes or no?

I'm curious.

I'm curious (genuinely) how sugar mysteriously becomes a parasite in a dog.

Sorry, I was trying to spread some more propaganda. Seemed appropriate. It obviously can not.

Well, that 's a relief. My lab eats the icing part on my pop tarts when I can't find the plain ones. Well, he'll be glad anyway. Nothing like that exam at the vet.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    minipop-tarts.jpg

Cupcake-Ice-Cream2.jpg

Im done here
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sorry, I was trying to spread some more propaganda.

yes I believe you were.