Eating Pop Tarts and ice cream daily.

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    The people who post they eat ice cream daily on the MFP forum do it because they are jerks. They know EXACTLY what they are doing when they brag about that. They are rubbing it in the faces of those who struggle to lose. They know that the majority of people here are hurt, are suffering, are overweight, or are obese, uneducated on health and nutrition, are sick, are depressed about their current condition and are wanting to change. Wanting to learn. They make sure YOU KNOW, THEY CAN and YOU CAN'T so what is wrong with YOU and how cool are they? It is very immature and very rude. It's as if they are in junior high. Like I said, they know what they are doing. Why do they think we care? What is the purpose of getting on MFP and saying, "look at my six pack and I eat ice cream every day." It's like me sitting outside of an AA meeting with a beer on a hot day and making slurping noises as I drink it, holding it up to the member saying, "I do this every day, but in moderation and I'm not an alcoholic". I CAN, you can't ;) just making sure you all know. But hey, I do it in moderation and I STILL am not an alcoholic. " Or more in comparison would be to go to an AA forum online and post I drink wine every night with dinner and am not an alcoholic. Just childish! Just cruel and completely stupid.

Um. Yeah. Clearly you didn't look at the OP, me. I think I'm speaking from a decent position regarding weight loss. Done a good amount of it.

you ate 2,000 cal today of junk food. you're not really in a decent position to discuss HEALTHY weight loss.....

Pretty sure I eat more of what you call healthy in a given day then you. A couple lbs of vegetables and 1.5 - 2 lbs of chicken a day. Not to mention I didn't eat this much when losing, which obviously decreased what you call junk intake.

As of last week my RHR is 58, BP 110/70, total cholesterol 98 w/ no issues in any other marker.

Edited for iPad typos

awww snap! my cholesterol is 87! other numbers are almost identical. :tongue:

and please look at my diary before you make such silly claims. soooo many vegetables. (ps i'm prolly way smaller than you so physically eating more than me isn't much of a feat)
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone has said screw it and just had them both together....

What together?

Sorry....my bad. I was talking about a Pop Tart and a Toaster Strudel.
    Toaster strudel on bottom, pop tart on top, ben and jerrys in the middle.

Seriously? Toaster strudel (squishy and flimsy as it is) on the bottom? A delicious bottom crust of pop tart would be much more suitable. After that I think all flavors are up to the individual. The bottom and top crust protocol screams for a sturdy bottom - the toasted pop tart.
    Valid. Please forgive my ignorance :(
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The people who post they eat ice cream daily on the MFP forum do it because they are jerks. They know EXACTLY what they are doing when they brag about that. They are rubbing it in the faces of those who struggle to lose. They know that the majority of people here are hurt, are suffering, are overweight, or are obese, uneducated on health and nutrition, are sick, are depressed about their current condition and are wanting to change. Wanting to learn. Some are diabetic. This is a HELP forum. They make sure YOU KNOW, THEY CAN and YOU CAN'T so what is wrong with YOU and how cool are they? It is very immature.

Like I said, they know what they are doing. Why do they think we care? What is the purpose of getting on MFP and saying, "look at my six pack and I eat ice cream every day." It's like me sitting outside of an AA meeting with a beer on a hot day and making slurping noises as I drink it, holding it up to the member saying, "I do this every day, but in moderation and I'm not an alcoholic". I CAN, you can't ;) just making sure you all know. But hey, I do it in moderation and I STILL am not an alcoholic. " Or more in comparison would be to go to an AA forum online and post I drink wine every night with dinner and am not an alcoholic. Just childish! Just cruel!
    Ummmm, is this for real???
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The people who post they eat ice cream daily on the MFP forum do it because they are jerks. They know EXACTLY what they are doing when they brag about that. They are rubbing it in the faces of those who struggle to lose. They know that the majority of people here are hurt, are suffering, are overweight, or are obese, uneducated on health and nutrition, are sick, are depressed about their current condition and are wanting to change. Wanting to learn. Some are diabetic. This is a HELP forum. They make sure YOU KNOW, THEY CAN and YOU CAN'T so what is wrong with YOU and how cool are they? It is very immature.

Like I said, they know what they are doing. Why do they think we care? What is the purpose of getting on MFP and saying, "look at my six pack and I eat ice cream every day." It's like me sitting outside of an AA meeting with a beer on a hot day and making slurping noises as I drink it, holding it up to the member saying, "I do this every day, but in moderation and I'm not an alcoholic". I CAN, you can't ;) just making sure you all know. But hey, I do it in moderation and I STILL am not an alcoholic. " Or more in comparison would be to go to an AA forum online and post I drink wine every night with dinner and am not an alcoholic. Just childish! Just cruel!

whine.gif
    LOL. Love it!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

whine.gif
    LOL. Love it!

Perfect! Personally, MFP has freed me from the tyranny of seeing food as the enemy. No longer do I follow some fad diet, cut out food groups, sugar, fat, chewing gum, lemon juice (delete as appropriate each week as my 'diet plan' changes), lose 7lbs, fall off the wagon and binge, put it back on and some. Ad infinitum.

By working food such as icecream, chocolate and alcohol into my macros and calorie intake I have, for the first time in my life, lost weight while feeling very well in myself. By not being on a strict 'diet' I do not struggle to stick to my calorie intake and I don't get an overwhelming sense of shame on a daily basis for having snacks.

Oh, and despite eating fat and sugar my glucose, cholesterol and HDL and LDL stats are close to perfect. In fact they have improved since I joined MFP thanks to my weight loss and increased activity.

MFP is a very broad tool for people who want to be fit and healthy. People with genuine food addiction who might get upset about threads about real food would be best seeking the advice of a professional.

And those who want to be mean to those of us who don't eat clean or perfect 100% of the time - shaming other people for the food choices they make is petty and borderline bullying, plain and simple.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Here's the thing that you have obviously overlooked: This is a forum. You are free to read, comment, ignore, move on, as you wish. There is nothing wrong with doing things in moderation. I still struggle with this, but it certainly doesn't send me over the edge in to a "binge fest" of over eating because someone is posting pictures of poptarts or ice cream - OR BOTH! If this post is strong enough to push me into forgetting my losses in the last year - I was never going to succeed anyway. It's not childish and certainly not cruel. Grow up.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Just getting this thread back on track

poptartsundae.jpg

Haters gonna hate :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Odd I resized that that deliciousness
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Think I would rather have cookies or brownies with ice cream than pop tarts lol.
  • redraider08
    redraider08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Taso- No, pretty much, 3 people said you will die. The rest said "yeah, i like some bad stuff, too."

You owe me a swig of post-workout protein shake... nice one.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I really don't think that's what people who post about moderation are thinking or doing. What they are trying to say is that you don't have to restrict food groups. Now if you find that poptarts or ice cream or whatever are going to trigger binges the that's another thing. But for a lot of people it's just that they don't realize that moderation is a possibility. They think if they're going to be healthy they have to cut out the foods they enjoy, and that leads to failure for people like me. It's been tremendously helpful for me to see that people can eat those foods in the context of a nutrient dense diet and still be fit. It is the opposite of cruel. These threads may not be helpful for you, but they will be helpful for someone else. That's the great thing about a public forum-- there's something here that will be helpful for just about everyone.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I "brag" about eating pizza once a week. Thick crust, and half the pie. Yesterday was bacon cheeseburger pizza, and dinner was 900 calories.

Do I say that to be mean? No! I say it because I used to be someone who didn't think I could eat pizza and pasta and all kinds of other yummies and still lose/maintain my weight.

I've since come to realize that I was very, very wrong when I thought being or getting healthy was painful or required deprivation.

If you can't fit in foods you enjoy, if you're miserable with what you're eating, you're doing it wrong. I'm not saying everyone should have 900 calories for dinner, but if I was a less active person who required less calories, two slices of pizza at 450 calories would have sufficed.

And forget pizza and ice cream and Pop Tarts. There's no reason under the sun that EVERYTHING you eat shouldn't be delicious. Plain grilled chicken is boring. Grilled chicken that's been sitting in marinade or topped with bbq sauce is fantastic, and not many calories more.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I've just planned my day today so that I can try a (small) pop tart ice cream sandwich and hit my macros, and I never would have done that had I not been on the thread - yes I have always treats but I don't always plan them so well. Doing this has made me realise with a bit of thought I can have my cake and eat it :wink:

So this thread has helped me :drinker: and it has also kept me entertained all of last night. :laugh:

Deprivation =/= healthy weight loss

A little of what you like does you good :flowerforyou:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I "brag" about eating pizza once a week. Thick crust, and half the pie. Yesterday was bacon cheeseburger pizza, and dinner was 900 calories.

Do I say that to be mean? No! I say it because I used to be someone who didn't think I could eat pizza and pasta and all kinds of other yummies and still lose/maintain my weight.

I've since come to realize that I was very, very wrong when I thought being or getting healthy was painful or required deprivation.

If you can't fit in foods you enjoy, if you're miserable with what you're eating, you're doing it wrong. I'm not saying everyone should have 900 calories for dinner, but if I was a less active person who required less calories, two slices of pizza at 450 calories would have sufficed.

And forget pizza and ice cream and Pop Tarts. There's no reason under the sun that EVERYTHING you eat shouldn't be delicious. Plain grilled chicken is boring. Grilled chicken that's been sitting in marinade or topped with bbq sauce is fantastic, and not many calories more.

Well said.
  • magerum
    Options
    I've just planned my day today so that I can try a (small) pop tart ice cream sandwich and hit my macros, and I never would have done that had I not been on the thread - yes I have always treats but I don't always plan them so well. Doing this has made me realise with a bit of thought I can have my cake and eat it :wink:

So this thread has helped me :drinker: and it has also kept me entertained all of last night. :laugh:

Deprivation =/= healthy weight loss

A little of what you like does you good :flowerforyou:

I decided to try "open face" with a spoon instead of sandwich style last night thanks to all the pics in this thread. Can't say I was disappointed. In fact it was a bit less messy to be honest.

Edited to fix quotes
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Lol.

Actually, I think it's more like "you can eat these things in moderation." Because most people can. Does moderation take practice? Yep. Is it more sustainable than planning on cutting out every food that some magazine article told you was bad? I think so.

Also, there are a lot of people on here who aren't addicted to food. They just were lazy about paying attention to how much they were eating. So, your example doesn't apply. Are there some for real addicted people here? Sure. But statistically speaking, they probably aren't the norm.

I wanted to add to that food and alcohol are not good examples here. If someone is truly addicted to food, they are going to have to learn to moderate their choices. Whether they like it or not. You can't live without food obviously. It's fine for an alcoholic to cut out alcohol for the rest of their life, because they don't need it. You can't do that with food. So, once again, moderation for the win.

LOL!

The OP's post said, "I eat a poptart AND ice cream every day. It didn't say I eat one or the other, but both. It didn't say once or twice a week.

That is NOT "in moderation" as you say above. That is a sure fire way to set the stage for diabetes.

One poptart has 17g of sugar. Does he eat ONE or what is in the package which is two. If two then that is 34g of sugar.

One cup of ice cream on average is 68g of sugar. That is 102g of refined sugar in a day. That is enough sugar for about 10 days for a male in JUST those two items. A male should shoot for around 12 g - 18g or less of refined sugar (depending on factors of height, weight, calories, etc).

This is NOT moderation.

off note: Natural sugar is around 100g to 150 per day depending on if you're male or female.

I know what the OPs post said. And a poptart and some ice cream could very well be moderate for him, depending on his calorie goal, etc.

I'm sorry you're struggling with your food choices to the point that someone else's decisions are negatively impacting you.
  • magerum
    Options
    One cup of ice cream on average is 68g of sugar. That is 102g of refined sugar in a day. That is enough sugar for about 10 days for a male in JUST those two items. A male should shoot for around 12 g - 18g or less of refined sugar (depending on factors of height, weight, calories, etc).

This is NOT moderation.

off note: Natural sugar is around 100g to 150 per day depending on if you're male or female.

Sources?! I'll post some when I arrive at work in a couple hours that say quite the contrary.
  • magerum
    Options

Lol.

Actually, I think it's more like "you can eat these things in moderation." Because most people can. Does moderation take practice? Yep. Is it more sustainable than planning on cutting out every food that some magazine article told you was bad? I think so.

Also, there are a lot of people on here who aren't addicted to food. They just were lazy about paying attention to how much they were eating. So, your example doesn't apply. Are there some for real addicted people here? Sure. But statistically speaking, they probably aren't the norm.

I wanted to add to that food and alcohol are not good examples here. If someone is truly addicted to food, they are going to have to learn to moderate their choices. Whether they like it or not. You can't live without food obviously. It's fine for an alcoholic to cut out alcohol for the rest of their life, because they don't need it. You can't do that with food. So, once again, moderation for the win.

LOL!

The OP's post said, "I eat a poptart AND ice cream every day. It didn't say I eat one or the other, but both. It didn't say once or twice a week.

That is NOT "in moderation" as you say above. That is a sure fire way to set the stage for diabetes.

One poptart has 17g of sugar. Does he eat ONE or what is in the package which is two. If two then that is 34g of sugar.

This is NOT moderation.

I know what the OPs post said. And a poptart and some ice cream could very well be moderate for him, depending on his calorie goal, etc.

I'm sorry you're struggling with your food choices to the point that someone else's decisions are negatively impacting you.

She is correct, that is less than 20% of my calories for the day @ 660ish.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    What the posters of the " I lost weight and ate pop tarts and ice cream " don't tell you is they eat very healthy the rest of the time . Look at there diaries and its a tiny serving of the bad stuff . It's just not as cool to start a thread saying " I eat 95 percent heathy and a small serving of treats "
  • magerum
    Options
    What the posters of the " I lost weight and ate pop tarts and ice cream " don't tell you is they eat very healthy the rest of the time . Look at there diaries and its a tiny serving of the bad stuff . It's just not as cool to start a thread saying " I eat 95 percent heathy and a small serving of treats .

That depends on your definition of tiny serving. I am the OP and I eat a pint of ice cream a night. It is less than 20% of my total daily intake though.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    What the posters of the " I lost weight and ate pop tarts and ice cream " don't tell you is they eat very healthy the rest of the time . Look at there diaries and its a tiny serving of the bad stuff . It's just not as cool to start a thread saying " I eat 95 percent heathy and a small serving of treats .

That depends on your definition of tiny serving. I am the OP and I eat a pint of ice cream a night. It is less than 20% of my total daily intake though.

:drinker: