Eating Pop Tarts and ice cream daily.

Options

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Empty calories, in casual dietary terminology, are a measure of the digestible energy present in high-energy foods with little nutritional value, typically processed carbohydrates and ethanol (alcohol), and to some extent fats. Also known as a discretionary calorie, an "empty calorie" has the same energy content as any other calorie but lacks many accompanying nutrients such as vitamins, dietary minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, or dietary fiber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_calorie
    [/quote]

Accompanying nutrients in ONE typical poptart:

Vitamin A 10% RDA
    Thiamin 10% RDA
    Riboflavin 10% RDA
    Niacin 10% RDA
    Iron 10% RDA
    Vitamin B 10% RDA

Poly and monounsaturated fats 2.5g
    Carbs 36g
    Protein 2g

Invalid argument by your own posted definition.

Edit to fix quotes
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    poptartice.jpg

tumblr_lncwnryymB1qcn3o7o1_1280-560x386.jpg

high_satisfaction_12.jpg

tumblr_ls173w5xdJ1qfpcnio1_500.jpg

I thought that you weren't supposed to sit around swapping war stories or stimulating your brains with pictures of foods you don't want to allow yourself to eat on these sites.

I'm going to have to recommend other sites.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    The USDA:
    The greater the consumption of foods or beverages that are low in nutrient density, the more difficult it is to consume enough nutrients without gaining weight, especially for sedentary individuals. The consumption of added sugars, saturated and trans fats, and alcohol provides calories while providing little, if any, of the essential nutrients. (See ch. 7 for additional information on added sugars, ch. 6 for information on fats, and ch. 9 for information on alcohol.)

http://www.health.gov/DIETARYGUIDELINES/dga2005/document/html/chapter2.htm

You'd trust the USDA??

i don't.

they do.

(also I was just spouting out as many references to "empty calories" as I could find in a short time)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The USDA:
    The greater the consumption of foods or beverages that are low in nutrient density, the more difficult it is to consume enough nutrients without gaining weight, especially for sedentary individuals. The consumption of added sugars, saturated and trans fats, and alcohol provides calories while providing little, if any, of the essential nutrients. (See ch. 7 for additional information on added sugars, ch. 6 for information on fats, and ch. 9 for information on alcohol.)

You'd trust the USDA??

i don't.

they do.

(also I was just spouting out as many references to "empty calories" as I could find in a short time)

Who is this mysterious 'they'??
  • magerum
    Options
    Sorry, I was trying to spread some more propaganda.

yes I believe you were.

Yeah, my sarcasm was lost on that post. :grumble:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    The USDA:

You'd trust the USDA??

i don't.

they do.

Sometimes spouting can be painful.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Empty calories, in casual dietary terminology, are a measure of the digestible energy present in high-energy foods with little nutritional value, typically processed carbohydrates and ethanol (alcohol), and to some extent fats. Also known as a discretionary calorie, an "empty calorie" has the same energy content as any other calorie but lacks many accompanying nutrients such as vitamins, dietary minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, or dietary fiber.

Vitamin A 10% RDA
    Thiamin 10% RDA
    Riboflavin 10% RDA
    Niacin 10% RDA
    Iron 10% RDA
    Vitamin B 10% RDA

Carbs 36g
    Protein 2g

Edit to fix quotes

nah, if the ingredients in pop tarts hadn't been refined and then later enriched with harder-to-assimilate-nutrients, they would actually have MORE vitamins/minerals. part of the description was calories with "little" nutritional value. my argument is valid.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Vitamin A 10% RDA
    Thiamin 10% RDA
    Riboflavin 10% RDA
    Niacin 10% RDA
    Iron 10% RDA
    Vitamin B 10% RDA

Carbs 36g
    Protein 2g

Edit to fix quotes

nah, if the ingredients in pop tarts hadn't been refined and then later enriched with harder-to-assimilate-nutrients, they would actually have MORE vitamins/minerals. part of the description was calories with "little" nutritional value. my argument is valid.

Why do people assume that saying "my argument is valid" makes it so....
  • magerum
    Options

Vitamin A 10% RDA
    Thiamin 10% RDA
    Riboflavin 10% RDA
    Niacin 10% RDA
    Iron 10% RDA
    Vitamin B 10% RDA

Carbs 36g
    Protein 2g

Edit to fix quotes

10% is considered a "good source" by the same reference you used.
  • magerum
    Options
    Ok I have to drive home now, lets see what happens in the next hour or so.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Vitamin A 10% RDA
    Thiamin 10% RDA
    Riboflavin 10% RDA
    Niacin 10% RDA
    Iron 10% RDA
    Vitamin B 10% RDA

Carbs 36g
    Protein 2g

Edit to fix quotes

Has more than an iceberg lettuce - so it's better for you than a serving of iceberg lettuce!
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    i've had skin cancer before srs :)

Was it associated with diet or sun exposure or something else?

Seriously, I've dealt with Cancer and Cancer deaths a few times, pm me if it hasn't been shared already or you're not comfortable sharing or whatever.
    nah wasn't anything too serious bro. It was most likely from sun exposure, yes
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Vitamin A 10% RDA
    Thiamin 10% RDA
    Riboflavin 10% RDA
    Niacin 10% RDA
    Iron 10% RDA
    Vitamin B 10% RDA

Carbs 36g
    Protein 2g

Edit to fix quotes

10% is considered a "good source" by the same reference you used.

if it were actually able to be absorbed as easily by your body, maybe... notice something here?:
    Enriched flour is flour with specific nutrients returned to it that have been lost while being prepared. These restored nutrients include iron and B vitamins (folic acid, riboflavin, niacin, and thiamine).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enriched_flour

and
    One factor that limits the benefits of food fortification is that isolated nutrients added back in to a processed food that has had many of its nutrients removed, does not always result in the added nutrients being as bioavailable as they would be in the original, whole food. An example is skim milk that has had the fat removed, and then had vitamin A and vitamin D added back. Vitamins A and D are both fat soluble and not water soluble, so a person consuming skim milk in the absence of fats may not be able to absorb enough of these vitamins as one would be able to absorb from drinking whole milk.

Phytochemicals such as polyphenols can also impact nutrient absorption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_fortification
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Vitamin A 10% RDA
    Thiamin 10% RDA
    Riboflavin 10% RDA
    Niacin 10% RDA
    Iron 10% RDA
    Vitamin B 10% RDA

Carbs 36g
    Protein 2g

Edit to fix quotes

Has more than an iceberg lettuce - so it's better for you than a serving of iceberg lettuce!

iceberg lettuce is also nutritionally deficient.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Vitamin A 10% RDA
    Thiamin 10% RDA
    Riboflavin 10% RDA
    Niacin 10% RDA
    Iron 10% RDA
    Vitamin B 10% RDA

Carbs 36g
    Protein 2g

Edit to fix quotes

iceberg lettuce is also nutritionally deficient.

Much more so than a pop tart.

I think I will start a thread saying I eat iceberg lettuce everyday and see who jumps in and spouts off about it being bad for me.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts are the devils food.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I just had an iced cherry pop tart with nutella on top. MMMMmmmm!:glasses:
  • Laffinhippiegurl
    Laffinhippiegurl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hate pop tarts! LOVE ice cream! Worst temptation this month?! Buy one blizzard, get one for 99 cents!!!! I shall fail...happily. LOVE ice cream!!! :tongue:
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    it is soo funny! i wanted poptarts so bad after i read part one! i keep forgetting to buy them:(
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    nah wasn't anything too serious bro. It was most likely from sun exposure, yes

Glad to hear it wasn't too serious!

That's what I thought, sun exposure. It's a double edged sword.