Eating Pop Tarts and ice cream daily.

Options

Replies

• cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    What the posters of the " I lost weight and ate pop tarts and ice cream " don't tell you is they eat very healthy the rest of the time . Look at there diaries and its a tiny serving of the bad stuff . It's just not as cool to start a thread saying " I eat 95 percent heathy and a small serving of treats .

That depends on your definition of tiny serving. I am the OP and I eat a pint of ice cream a night. It is less than 20% of my total daily intake though.

^^ this
    You aren't blowing your whole days calories on a pint of ice cream ...
    @ Beachlover - you eat very little junk . I read your diary everyday :)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Think I would rather have cookies or brownies with ice cream than pop tarts lol.

Trying to derail the thread?!! Seriously, though, is there anything better than a warm brownie with icecream melting over it?!! Life is far too short to skip brownies - and trying to hit my calorie intake on lettuce and celery would be nigh-on impossible.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    What the posters of the " I lost weight and ate pop tarts and ice cream " don't tell you is they eat very healthy the rest of the time . Look at there diaries and its a tiny serving of the bad stuff . It's just not as cool to start a thread saying " I eat 95 percent heathy and a small serving of treats .

That depends on your definition of tiny serving. I am the OP and I eat a pint of ice cream a night. It is less than 20% of my total daily intake though.

^^ this

Never claimed to! :smile:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

^^ this

LOL Cassie - I read your's too ♥. I don't eat a lot of junk, but I am learning to add it back in again. I can over do - easily. But, I refuse to give up completely on things that I have love. Moderation = key.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options

That depends on your definition of tiny serving. I am the OP and I eat a pint of ice cream a night. It is less than 20% of my total daily intake

^^ I was referring to a few of the female members . They don't eat a pint of ice cream every night . They have a 1/2 cup serving
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Think I would rather have cookies or brownies with ice cream than pop tarts lol.

Trying to derail the thread?!! Seriously, though, is there anything better than a warm brownie with icecream melting over it?!! Life is far too short to skip brownies - and trying to hit my calorie intake on lettuce and celery would be nigh-on impossible.

Reported for derailing the thread with something equally delicious! Damn you delicious derailing brownies....
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Reported for derailing the thread with something equally delicious! Damn you delicious derailing brownies....

Dear God, what would a brownie pop tart a la mode taste like? Yuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm.

ETA: a la mode
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

That depends on your definition of tiny serving. I am the OP and I eat a pint of ice cream a night. It is less than 20% of my total daily intake

^^ I was referring to a few of the female members . They don't eat a pint of ice cream every night . They have a 1/2 cup serving

but for us that probably is 20% of our daily intake - it's all relative :flowerforyou:
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I maintain my original stance that Toaster Strudel is superior, if only for the icing drawings.

I've never seen S'mores Toaster Strudel.

Someone should suggest that...personally, I don't like Pop Tarts. I like off-brand unfrosted and they're hard to find. And Toaster Strudel is crazy yummy!!!

This thread makes me think about brownies for breakfast...yummmmmm...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    also this:
    Empty calories, in casual dietary terminology, are a measure of the digestible energy present in high-energy foods with little nutritional value, typically processed carbohydrates and ethanol (alcohol), and to some extent fats. Also known as a discretionary calorie, an "empty calorie" has the same energy content as any other calorie but lacks many accompanying nutrients such as vitamins, dietary minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, or dietary fiber. [/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_calorie[/quote]

Did you just cite Wikipedia as an information source? Even processed foods today are fortified with micronutrients (i.e Poptarts)
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I think for breakfast I may need to have smores pop tarts with Ben & Jerrys clusterfluff.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    The people who post they eat ice cream daily on the MFP forum do it because they are jerks. They know EXACTLY what they are doing when they brag about that. They are rubbing it in the faces of those who struggle to lose. They know that the majority of people here are hurt, are suffering, are overweight, or are obese, uneducated on health and nutrition, are sick, are depressed about their current condition and are wanting to change. Wanting to learn. Some are diabetic. This is a HELP forum. They make sure YOU KNOW, THEY CAN and YOU CAN'T so what is wrong with YOU and how cool are they? It is very immature.

Like I said, they know what they are doing. Why do they think we care? What is the purpose of getting on MFP and saying, "look at my six pack and I eat ice cream every day." It's like me sitting outside of an AA meeting with a beer on a hot day and making slurping noises as I drink it, holding it up to the member saying, "I do this every day, but in moderation and I'm not an alcoholic". I CAN, you can't ;) just making sure you all know. But hey, I do it in moderation and I STILL am not an alcoholic. " Or more in comparison would be to go to an AA forum online and post I drink wine every night with dinner and am not an alcoholic. Just childish! Just cruel!

What? Its all about moderation. A single serving of ice cream a day is not the same thing as binging on 2k calories worth each day. It isn't to rub it in anyone faces, its basically to say that you can still progress quite well without having to stick to your typical "bro foods". I indulge almost everyday in some way shape of form, while cutting. However, i still manage to hit my macros and micros via multiple cups of fruits, veggies, and other foods. Oh, i also drink Jack too ;)
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking Pop Tarts are sounding mighty good right about now. I only have blueberry frosted in the house because that is my kids' favorite, but I believe they will do.

om-nom-nom-nom.gif
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Cool, you've given me an idea! I'm going to have a pint of cookie dough ice cream. Oh wait, 920 calories. And I have a budget of 1200.

What am I going to eat the rest of the day?

Oh I know! Poptarts. Okay, one Poptart and a nibble of a second one.

You guys with higher caloric needs are welcome to enjoy your indulgences. The rest are welcome to their two bites of whatever sweet goodness your heart desires. I'll stick with things like steak most of the time because part of what I like about eating is that full feeling. Which I can never have if I eat junkfood and still try to stay anywhere near 1200.

However, one day when I hit goal I might actually grab that pint and a Poptart and enjoy it thoroughly, I just will either not eat the rest of the day or I'll know I have to make up for it on another day, plus put up with some annoying cravings for a few days, which is the worst part. Such is the life of older, mostly sedentary women. But hey, my grocery bills are high enough, I shouldn't wish for a faster metabolism.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Cool, you've given me an idea! I'm going to have a pint of cookie dough ice cream. Oh wait, 920 calories. And I have a budget of 1200.

You guys with higher caloric needs are welcome to enjoy your indulgences. The rest are welcome to their two bites of whatever sweet goodness your heart desires. I'll stick with things like steak most of the time because part of what I like about eating is that full feeling. Which I can never have if I eat junkfood and still try to stay anywhere near 1200.

However, one day when I hit goal I might actually grab that pint and a Poptart and enjoy it thoroughly, I just will either not eat the rest of the day or I'll know I have to make up for it on another day, plus put up with some annoying cravings for a few days, which is the worst part. Such is the life of older, mostly sedentary women. But hey, my grocery bills are high enough, I shouldn't wish for a faster metabolism.

I'm eating 1600 and managed to fit a pop tart ice cream sandwich into today's meal plan - and hit all my macros. It's not about having an entire pint - it's about eating in moderation in a way that fits into your plan.

But if you want to ignore that and be one of those 1200 cal a day people feel free to whine away.

Or you could go for a long walk and earn enough calories to eat one - but hey such is the life for someone who wants to eat junk sometimes - even while losing.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    What the posters of the " I lost weight and ate pop tarts and ice cream " don't tell you is they eat very healthy the rest of the time . Look at there diaries and its a tiny serving of the bad stuff . It's just not as cool to start a thread saying " I eat 95 percent heathy and a small serving of treats "

Actually they've all said that, exactly that, frequently in this thread. They've invited people to check out their diaries and posted articles about exactly that. Where has a single poster claimed to take more than 20% of their cals from 'junk'?
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

I'm eating 1600 and managed to fit a pop tart ice cream sandwich into today's meal plan - and hit all my macros. It's not about having an entire pint - it's about eating in moderation in a way that fits into your plan.

But if you want to ignore that and be one of those 1200 cal a day people feel free to whine away.

Or you could go for a long walk and earn enough calories to eat one - but hey such is the life for someone who wants to eat junk sometimes - even while losing.

The guy I quoted eats a pint every day. Which would fill me up. Your sammich would be a mere tease.

And I'm not whining, just pointing out that some of us have smaller calorie budgets than others. I have to stay around 1200 calories or I don't lose. And when I hit goal I won't get a whole lot more calories to work with, so that's just how it goes. Also, a long walk doesn't burn a whole lot of calories anymore and most of the year I have allergy induced asthma that prevents much exercise. That I do whine about. But I am going to fix it next year by moving to a cleaner state.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    What the posters of the " I lost weight and ate pop tarts and ice cream " don't tell you is they eat very healthy the rest of the time . Look at there diaries and its a tiny serving of the bad stuff . It's just not as cool to start a thread saying " I eat 95 percent heathy and a small serving of treats "

That's exactly what the ARE saying.

That eating the odd bit of "junk" is fine as long as the rest of the diet is primarily healthy.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

The guy I quoted eats a pint every day. Which would fill me up. Your sammich would be a mere tease.

And I'm not whining, just pointing out that some of us have smaller calorie budgets than others. I have to stay around 1200 calories or I don't lose. And when I hit goal I won't get a whole lot more calories to work with, so that's just how it goes.

You could have pop tart instead of butter some days - just saying. If you really want something yo can make it fit - I wouldn't want to eat an entire pint of ice cream - that would make me feel sick, even if it did fit into my cals for the day. And you did come over as whining. This thread is just to show people yo can fit treats into a balanced diet - plenty of people on this thread eat less and fit in treats. and 80/20 is an excellent balance - regardless of your calorie intake.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

And I'm not whining, just pointing out that some of us have smaller calorie budgets than others. I have to stay around 1200 calories or I don't lose. And when I hit goal I won't get a whole lot more calories to work with, so that's just how it goes.

You could have pop tart instead of butter some days - just saying. If you really want something yo can make it fit - I wouldn't want to eat an entire pint of ice cream - that would make me feel sick, even if it did fit into my cals for the day. And you did come over as whining. This thread is just to show people yo can fit treats into a balanced diet - plenty of people on this thread eat less and fit in treats. and 80/20 is an excellent balance - regardless of your calorie intake.

You are wrong. Not everyone can fit treats. You beat me to my edit about how I can't workout here much of the year. So the walks are out.

You missed the part where I mentioned those foods triggering cravings, which are the worst part of going off my current plan. I would want to eat the entire pint or not bother at all. That is the whole point.

The butter goes in my coffee when I can't afford cuts of meat that allow me to get the fat ratio I need to stay full.

If what you are doing works for you, that is great, I would never tell you to stop. But it isn't for everyone. Enjoy your treats, though.