whats the beef on well...beef...

Options
1234568»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Beef is ok for regular people in moderation, but not for me. I don't even really like it - and I dislike hamburger. I have a digestive disorder that makes eating beef and pork not very fun. It makes me a little sick, and it causes inflammation, so I don't eat it and I don't miss it. I eat birds and fish instead. I think most people who do eat meat probably eat more than is healthy. But that's not my business. Eat beef if you want to.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    So, in conclusion...

Good reasons to avoid red meat: Doctor's orders, personal taste, budget restrictions.
    Bad reasons to avoid red meat: Moral reasons.

Good reasons to avoid red meat: Doctor's orders, personal taste, budget restrictions, moral reasons...
    Bad reasons to avoid red meat: None. You may choose to avoid red meat for any reason.

Avoid it if you want. Eat it if you want. End of story.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Here is my original post in this thread -- I was arguing against specific reasons people make the choice. So, yeah, if you disagree with any of these feel free to elaborate, but this is what I was referring to :)

-- Cows are meant to be eaten. We can argue about domestic cows vs. their wild ancestors, but the fact of the matter is that cows, bison, cattle, buffalo, any cow variation you can think of is a meat source for some species. If not people, then wolves or some other carnivorous animal.

-- The whole "Cows are people too" sort of sentiment is sort of silly. As mentioned previously, they are pretty much meant to be eaten. And while there are some places that mistreat their stock, most cows get to live a life of luxury by animal standards and then die a quick, painless death for food. This, as opposed to a hard life in the wild and being devoured alive by some predator.

-- My father in law raises cows, and we get tons of high quality beef with no hormones and high flavor. And while not everyone has that luxury, it isn't too terribly hard in most places to find local meat markets where you can find out the living conditions and breeding conditions of the cows used.

I don't believe they are meant to be eaten by people. But I'm not going to tell you not to just as you shouldn't tell people that choosing not to eat for moral reasons is a bad reason not to.

Also cows have hormones, as they are animals.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Here is my original post in this thread -- I was arguing against specific reasons people make the choice. So, yeah, if you disagree with any of these feel free to elaborate, but this is what I was referring to :)

-- Cows are meant to be eaten. We can argue about domestic cows vs. their wild ancestors, but the fact of the matter is that cows, bison, cattle, buffalo, any cow variation you can think of is a meat source for some species. If not people, then wolves or some other carnivorous animal.

-- The whole "Cows are people too" sort of sentiment is sort of silly. As mentioned previously, they are pretty much meant to be eaten. And while there are some places that mistreat their stock, most cows get to live a life of luxury by animal standards and then die a quick, painless death for food. This, as opposed to a hard life in the wild and being devoured alive by some predator.

-- My father in law raises cows, and we get tons of high quality beef with no hormones and high flavor. And while not everyone has that luxury, it isn't too terribly hard in most places to find local meat markets where you can find out the living conditions and breeding conditions of the cows used.

I don't believe they are meant to be eaten by people. But I'm not going to tell you not to just as you shouldn't tell people that choosing not to eat for moral reasons is a bad reason not to.

Also cows have hormones, as they are animals.
    Plants have hormones as they are plants.:wink:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This may be the mot ridiculous line I've ever read on MFP.

I guess I should specify, I was referring to the "moral dilemmas" that were being discussed prior to that post. I suppose one could find a moral reason to be against eating meat, but this was referring to the notion that cows need some special sort of treatment or that the method of killing them is always inhumane. And prior to making this statement I explained why I believe those are invalid reasons to disagree with eating meat.

Poo-pooing morals that don't mesh with yours doesn't really make the statement any less ridiculous IMO.

I wasn't just "poo-pooing" them. I gave arguments for why I thought they were invalid. If you disagree, please provide a different perspective. That's how discussion works.

It's not for you to decide whether another's morals are right or wrong. You are not a god.

Wow. OK, I won't be responding to any of your posts any longer, except to say this: I'm not saying that they are absolutely wrong. I gave arguments for why I believe they are wrong. If you disagree, just tell me why you disagree. No need to toss around silly comments that don't build off the discussion.

Why would anyone want to discuss why the morals of others are bad???
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

This may be the mot ridiculous line I've ever read on MFP.

I guess I should specify, I was referring to the "moral dilemmas" that were being discussed prior to that post. I suppose one could find a moral reason to be against eating meat, but this was referring to the notion that cows need some special sort of treatment or that the method of killing them is always inhumane. And prior to making this statement I explained why I believe those are invalid reasons to disagree with eating meat.

Poo-pooing morals that don't mesh with yours doesn't really make the statement any less ridiculous IMO.

I wasn't just "poo-pooing" them. I gave arguments for why I thought they were invalid. If you disagree, please provide a different perspective. That's how discussion works.

It's not for you to decide whether another's morals are right or wrong. You are not a god.

Wow. OK, I won't be responding to any of your posts any longer, except to say this: I'm not saying that they are absolutely wrong. I gave arguments for why I believe they are wrong. If you disagree, just tell me why you disagree. No need to toss around silly comments that don't build off the discussion.

Why would anyone want to discuss why the morals of others are bad???

And your judgemental railing on and on has what to do with beef? This is a beef thread. You want a thread about judging others morals, go start one.

Getting back on track. Making a big batch of beef barbocoa this afternoon!