Anyone want to be honest with me?

Options

Replies

• rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    1) I assume you are drinking adequate water and just not logging it. If not, be sure you are drinking adequate water.
    2) It is expected to not lose or even gain for the first 3 or 4 weeks that you are on a exercise regimen.
    3) Your sodium intake was high yesterday. Be sure to keep an eye on that. Excessive sodium can cause you to retain water and it'll show on the scale.
  • shannonalgren
    Options
    its been my experience when you start cutting calories your body will try to hold on to the lbs.
  • chuck191
    chuck191 Posts: 3
    Options
    Its about finding balance in the foods you are choosing... I myself pratice clean eating. Try low fat cheese - limited, and no processed foods, carbs early in the day instead of the evening... eat fat burning foods like cabbage. I make it a point to eat 50% veggies and 50% Protein for lunch and dinner. some carbs for lunch but n ever for dinner .... U should see some results with clean eating. Also be mindful of drinking your calories - you want to drink at least 1/2 your body weight in water daily. On last thing, keep your body 1/2 full by eating 5 - 6 small meals instead of 3 big meals... treat your body like a car and dont let it get too low on gas... keeping your body fueled will keep your matabolism up so your constantly burning fat... Hope this helps.... Oh one more thing...I have been at this since Jan 7th and have lost 20lbs so it does work.... Good Luck!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this a lot longer than a week, I just started on here a week ago.

I need to eat more well balanced meals. Time to go to Barnes and Noble and buy some recipe books. This is exactly what I wanted though because I grew up in a house where fast food was dinner every night. So to me the way my diary looks IS healthy. That''s why I needed some more advanced people to slap me around a bit and tell me what's up!

You can find tons of great recipes online! That's where I tend to get most of mine. sparkrecipes.com is a great site.

It's tough to change your eating habits when you grew up eating a certain way. My family never had healthy meals when I was a kid and that means I have to relearn everything now (another reason why I suggested making healthy foods, instead of kid foods for your daughter so she learns now what healthy eating is).

I hate to say it but not much in your diary is healthy.

What may work best is for you to start small. Start with one meal a day and change that. Make it a healthy meal that you made yourself from fresh ingredients. Than change another meal until you have done them all and are in the habit of eating great foods that are healthy.
  • fvolley
    fvolley Posts: 124
    Options
    I just started on HERE a week ago. I have been trying to lose weight for far longer unfortunately.

NO way my daughter doesn't eat those things. I make her food. I stay home with her. Your post made me realize I am being LAZY. I don't know how to put together healthy meals. Plus I like snacking and didn't think it was hurting me.

I just don't want to cook several different things. I cook her food which is kid friendly and healthy. I cook my fiancé's meals which are not healthy at all. He is skinny and refuses to eat healthier (I have tried to change his mind, he has made a few small sacrifices but not many. That's not an issue with me though). So I end up at the tail end with a Kashi bar as a meal. I just assumed that was okay.

I might have misspoke but she eats very healthy. Fresh fruits and veggies and all that. I said "kid friendly" because sometimes I will feed her a Gerber Graduate meal. She is almost 4 years old.

I want to add that I might be a complete idiot as to what HEALTHY is. A normal meal for her might be whole wheat pasta with seasoning, sliced banana, and some canned carrots. I think that is okay. Maybe it isn't.

MAYBE I have been looking at this whole food thing the WRONG way this entire time. I might need to do a complete overhaul on the food front in my house.

You have to do what works best for you.

Why can't your daughter eat what you make for you? It's best to instill healthy eating habits in children when they are young. Kid food is ok now and again but shouldn't be an all the time thing.

How it works in my house is ... I am the one who cooks. I take into account what my husband likes and what he doesn't. I will not make two separate meals unless I want something i know he hates (for example, today I wanted sushi, which he hates.. so I made myself sushi and will make him something else). He will normally eat it. If your fiancee doesn't want to eat your healthy foods why can't he make his own meals? You need to do what is going ot help you on your path with weight loss and not worry about others. WHy should YOU suffer because he doesn't want to eat healthy? If this is really that important to you, you will make yourself a priority... which i know if tough when you have a child and fiancee. The way I see it is kids shouldn't always be eating "kid foods" ... kid foods are not healthy. A friend of mine has two boys. She made the switch to healthy eating. They now either eat what she makes and serves them or they don't eat. Kids will eat when they are hungry. If they don't want to eat dinner she wraps it up, puts it in the fridge until they come to her and say they are hungry. Than she pulls out dinner and reheats it.

Personally, I would have your daughter eating what you eat .. healthy meals. She shoudl learn now to eat healthy as it's much harder to change the habits when they are older and I know you wouldn't want her to have weight issues in the future. If you are the cook in the house sit down with your fiancee and inform him that you will be cooking healthy meals for the family. If he doesn't want to eat it than he knows where the kitchen is. That's my view on it. No sense in you suffering because he doesn't want to eat healthy.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should eat more so your body has enough energy to melt away the stuff you want off. :)
    Read this, he explains this SO well. I am currently 181 and my goal is around 1800, from a 20% deficit from TDEE.
    Check it out, it sounds ridiculous, but everybody who has tried it has success!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=Road+map&page=13#posts-13939819 This guy explains it all really well!
  • fvolley
    Options
    I might have misspoke but she eats very healthy. Fresh fruits and veggies and all that. I said "kid friendly" because sometimes I will feed her a Gerber Graduate meal. She is almost 4 years old.

I want to add that I might be a complete idiot as to what HEALTHY is. A normal meal for her might be whole wheat pasta with seasoning, sliced banana, and some canned carrots. I think that is okay. Maybe it isn't.

MAYBE I have been looking at this whole food thing the WRONG way this entire time. I might need to do a complete overhaul on the food front in my house.

You have to do what works best for you.

Why can't your daughter eat what you make for you? It's best to instill healthy eating habits in children when they are young. Kid food is ok now and again but shouldn't be an all the time thing.

How it works in my house is ... I am the one who cooks. I take into account what my husband likes and what he doesn't. I will not make two separate meals unless I want something i know he hates (for example, today I wanted sushi, which he hates.. so I made myself sushi and will make him something else). He will normally eat it. If your fiancee doesn't want to eat your healthy foods why can't he make his own meals? You need to do what is going ot help you on your path with weight loss and not worry about others. WHy should YOU suffer because he doesn't want to eat healthy? If this is really that important to you, you will make yourself a priority... which i know if tough when you have a child and fiancee. The way I see it is kids shouldn't always be eating "kid foods" ... kid foods are not healthy. A friend of mine has two boys. She made the switch to healthy eating. They now either eat what she makes and serves them or they don't eat. Kids will eat when they are hungry. If they don't want to eat dinner she wraps it up, puts it in the fridge until they come to her and say they are hungry. Than she pulls out dinner and reheats it.

Personally, I would have your daughter eating what you eat .. healthy meals. She shoudl learn now to eat healthy as it's much harder to change the habits when they are older and I know you wouldn't want her to have weight issues in the future. If you are the cook in the house sit down with your fiancee and inform him that you will be cooking healthy meals for the family. If he doesn't want to eat it than he knows where the kitchen is. That's my view on it. No sense in you suffering because he doesn't want to eat healthy.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You been at this two weeks. Just chill out a little. Real results take time.
  • fvolley
    Options
    Maybe you should eat more so your body has enough energy to melt away the stuff you want off. :)
    Read this, he explains this SO well. I am currently 181 and my goal is around 1800, from a 20% deficit from TDEE.
    Check it out, it sounds ridiculous, but everybody who has tried it has success!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=Road+map&page=13#posts-13939819 This guy explains it all really well!

I have read that. I do believe I am eating well. I am eating around 1400 calories a day and I eat a good percentage of my calories back if I exercise. I don't think its my calories messing me up I think it's what my calories ARE that are messing me up.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this a lot longer than a week, I just started on here a week ago.

I need to eat more well balanced meals. Time to go to Barnes and Noble and buy some recipe books. This is exactly what I wanted though because I grew up in a house where fast food was dinner every night. So to me the way my diary looks IS healthy. That''s why I needed some more advanced people to slap me around a bit and tell me what's up!
    That's the spirit girl!!! And Ibet you'll be surprised if you start cooking, your daughter will eat most of it, and your fiance may come around as well! You'll be setting your daughter up for a lifetime of health!!
  • fvolley
    Options
    You been at this two weeks. Just chill out a little. Real results take time.

I have only been on MFP and exercising a week. I have been writing my food down on paper and eating what I thought was "healthy" for about 3 weeks now.
  • 19andneverthesame
    Options
    Could be sodium, drinking lots of water will probably help! Honestly weight loss is a slow process, your body can only metabolize so much fat in a certain amount of time. Just stick with it you found a really great supportive community it WILL come off! :D Losing weight is a science, just make sure there's a deficit by logging every little bite nibble or taste
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There will always be some weight fluctuation day to day--up or down a pound or two. That's why MFP recommends only weighing yourself once a week or so. Water retention can make a huge difference and varies significantly.

This ^^

Exercise, certain foods (varies by person), sodium, TOM, PMS, hormones f'n with you for no reason... All that can cause your weight to jump around due to water retention.

Give it time.
  • amberstevens7906
    amberstevens7906 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When i weighed restarted a diet i went in and weighed 211 then the next day 213.so i freaked out and i was eating 1100 a day.i realized though that the next day it came off so if its that time of the month you may be retaining.
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options

dont waste money on cookbooks that may or may not have what you want ive done this. go to the search field here and search there are plenty of links and other goodies to help!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    PS: no need to buy cookbooks when you have the internet!

skinnytaste.com

Also wwcookbookfeature1.jpg

^^ that's a great cookbook. It's just normal food (no weird substitutions) but pretty diverse. I'm an avid cook, and that book is one of my favorites.
  • fvolley
    Options
    You guys are all RIGHT!

I am expecting instant results from a diet that isn't well balanced and healthy. Makes sense why I have given up so many times before even at 1500 calories daily. I was probably lacking some type of nutrition in my diet. Like I said though, my diary is what I thought HEALTHY was. My family would eat fast food every single night, we never drank water, and snacks were fruit snacks or cookies.

What I have been eating (my diary) was a good first step for me. But I think I need to overhaul my house and get the crap food out. Too much processed, high sodium, no nutritional value, snacky-type BS.
  • fvolley
    Options
    Yeah you guys are right. I won't go buy the recipe books. I was just making a statement =]
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You may be overestimating your burned calories if you don't have a hrm. I constantly see people on my list saying they burned 1200 calories from walking like 2hrs or something crazy. Try not eating all your cals back. If you are underestimating you may be eating too many back. Eat some back if you feel like it. Eating all mine back did not work for me and I do have a hrm.

I wear a BodyMedia armband 24 hours a day and also I use the Runtastic phone app when I walk outside.

I just started exercising this week along with using MFP. But before this week I was just watching what I ate and writing it all down on paper, I was doing that for about 3 weeks prior to coming on here. But like I said this week was the first week back to exercising.

Looking at your diary I don't see anything sustainable. All you are eating is processed junk, no fruits, veggies, cooked meals...
  • kristynsflab
    kristynsflab Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Toss the scale! When I first started I weighed at 10 days 30 days 90 days then only every 30 after that.