Is diet pop REALLY that bad fro you????

Options

Replies

• smittieaj
    smittieaj Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling terribly let down that I'm not getting the quantum physics explanation that I asked for earlier. Really, I want to know what my professors are hiding from me since they don't want to explain it either. Really, you could just link me to something that shows how quantum physics explains energy healing...

SO much anticipation! ....can't wait!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Well I'll leave the debating to others, think I'll just suggest a healthy substitute that satisfied my soft-drink cravings.
    Dump fresh watermelon,,ice cubes, agave nectar(for added sweetness) lemon juice and mint into a blender,mix....result one hell of a yummy and satisfying drink. Add extra water if you want it less thick as its like a slushie or slurpie. Very filling as well.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

You know that's not what I am saying. So stop trying to make me seem like a naive, gullible idiot. What I'm saying is that I believe homeopathy works because my family and I have been using it instead of allopathic medication for over 30 years and it has worked in various situations. So, I am not skeptical of that study even though it doesn't meet your standards. If you knew something worked from a lifetime of experiences, then you wouldn't be skeptical of a study just because you didn't like who conducted it, etc.

Yes I would. If something was purported to work with no reasonable mechanism for action, then I would be very skeptical of it efficacy, and would naturally assume that the answer lied elsewhere.

But see I understand the mechanism for action even if you don't

Please enlighten me.

What, exactly, is the mechanism for action?

Chakras
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    homeopathic remedies,

Oh man. Homeopathic "remedies."

Also known as "black magic."

you know, except in my case of reflux.

you're so funny.

Yeah and when my son had pleurisy the "black magic" cured him in two days. You sound so ignorant you know, because you just dribble your drool without knowing what your'e trying to say.

Homeopathic "remedies" are placebos and nothing else. The liquids are nothing but water, and the pills are nothing but sugar.

There is literally no other substance in them, unless they've added a preservative or something.

But the thing listed on the outside of the bottle? There's none of that inside the bottle. You know that, right? Homeopathy is the process by which you start with a substance and then dilute it in water so many times there isn't any of it left.

Oh I know EXACTLY how homeopathic remedies are made. I am taking a course on homeopathy in fact. The energy of the substance is left, even though your scientists can't detect the crude substance anymore. And guess what, we've used them for a long time and it isn't placebo. You try giving your kids or other family members a placebo when they are puking, or sick with pleurisy, or teething, or having palpitations, or going into shock from falling 20 ft onto concrete . . . and see how they fare lol.

My daughter fell from the second story of a barn onto concrete and broke her wrist in two places. The neighbor drove her to me (4 houses away) and by then she was going into shock. I gave her arnica montana immediately and we both watched as the color returned to her lips/fingertips, and she became more responsive. Arnica montana also is indicated when there is bruised soft tissues. Because I gave her this remedy immediately, she never got a bruise . . . none. She did however break her arm in two places and it had to be reset. The doc was REALLY worried because she damaged her growth plate. He gave her a cast and he asked that she return in a 2 weeks. Well she was taking another homeopathic remedy during those two weeks and when they did the xray the growth plate was completely normal and one of the fractures had healed already. So yeah. You can't detect it in a lab, but the energy of the remedy is there and it is powerful. QUANTUM PHYSICS IS EXPLAINING THESE THEORIES NOW. Maybe you should read about it.

Now we're treading in my territory. I'm a senior, Physics Major, at a top University. Please, explain to me how quantum physics is explaining this because, apparently, my professors have neglected this topic.

Also, IBTL and most of this thread had me laughing so hard I cried and almost peed in my pants.

Additionally, a virus will eventually run its course but the two times I had viral meningitis, without modern medicine (including a week in the hospital) the "course" would have ended in death. If you know of the herbal remedy please explain that to me.

Also, Diet Dr. Pepper >Diet Pepsi> Diet Coke although Dr. Pepper>Coke>Pepsi. I drink diet soda daily. Experimentation suggests that aspartame is only bad for those with intolerances to it.

ETA: I also broke each wrist twice when I was younger (I was an over-active child) and had growth plate breaks two of the four times. No long term damage. Healed perfectly completely without any homeopathic remedies.

I'm still waiting for this stellar explanation. I can only imagine how wave-particle duality explains why a 1/100th dilution of vitamin C cures cancer.

Also, you can pry my coke zero from my cold, dead hands

Please let the answer be Shrodinger's cat... Please let the answer be Shrodinger's cat... (fingers crossed and giggling to myself)
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options

So YOUR negative experience with something makes your right about all alternative ideas? You and others keep shooting down anecdotal evidence but yet your anecdotal evidence rules and gives you the right to be pompous, demeaning, derailing, obnoxious? YOUR anecdotal evidence gives you the right to determine everyone else that doesn't think the way you do is wrong?

You're completely missing the point of scientific inquiry.

Anecdotal evidence is useful insofar as it is hypothesis-generating.

Then the hypothesis is tested using controlled conditions. If the test fails, the hypothesis is discardes, or refined.

It is NOT

Event "A" happened cuncurrently with event "B", therefore "A" caused "B".
  • smittieaj
    Options

You know that's not what I am saying. So stop trying to make me seem like a naive, gullible idiot. What I'm saying is that I believe homeopathy works because my family and I have been using it instead of allopathic medication for over 30 years and it has worked in various situations. So, I am not skeptical of that study even though it doesn't meet your standards. If you knew something worked from a lifetime of experiences, then you wouldn't be skeptical of a study just because you didn't like who conducted it, etc.

Yes I would. If something was purported to work with no reasonable mechanism for action, then I would be very skeptical of it efficacy, and would naturally assume that the answer lied elsewhere.

But see I understand the mechanism for action even if you don't

Please enlighten me.

What, exactly, is the mechanism for action?

Chakras

Good guess. I'm leaning towards fairies, personally.
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    For those saying homeopathy is just a placebo effect . . . tell it to these mice. Next you'll be telling me that mice as susceptible to the placebo effect also.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22818235

You seem tenacious. Why don't you crack open a book about skepticism, and have an informative evening?

I don't have to be skeptical about homeopathy when I've seen it work over and over first hand.

When you read about skepticism, you'll learn about how this is anecdotal evidence, and is unreliable for numerous reasons. Seriously, what harm could learning a new subject do to you?

Again, I don't have to be skeptical about that study because I've seen homeopathy work countless times first hand. If you did you'd know what I mean. Would you be skeptical about the effectiveness of antibiotics if you didn't like the way a study was conducted?

In the absence of all the evidence that modern science has provided us.... YES!

I guess you haven't experienced first hand positive effects from them over and over to know first hand the results so you have to rely on a study to tell you what's up.

People could tell me about their first hand experience with voodoo, the holy spirit, bloody mary, demons, or bigfoot.... should I believe them?

I don't doubt that you, and your beliefs are sincere. I understand that you are not a fool. I only reject the notion of forming opinions based on tales of others experiences. Pick up that book that was recommended earlier in the thread. I think that you'll find that we have more in common than you know.

which book is that? I'm afraid it's lost in the shuffle.

And although I wouldn't expect you to formulate opinions solely based on other's experiences, I would hope that you would factor that in. That's why you and others on here are so infuriating at times. You dismiss everything unless it's mainstream, even if people have real experiences to share. YOu never say, "hey, that's cool and interesting!" WOw! Hummm! You just mock and say everything is bull crap and ask for studies and then any study produced is never good enough. The only reason I've been sticking with these threads once I get involved in one is because I don't like the idea of the loudest mouths shooting other ideas down so that only the big mouth get's his opinions heard. It's like you believe you're right and no other ideas are allowed to be discussed in a meaningful, civil manner. Because guess what, maybe you don't have all the answers and you're keeping valuable information from reaching someone by mocking, throwing in cats or whatever just to confuse the matter at hand. And is that right? I don't think so.

All great ideas have to face armies of people trying to disprove them. The armies have been created by bad ideas that have hurt people. I am one of those people. I used to believe in lots of silly things. These days, I'm more careful. In the end, all of us mean people on the forums are just looking out for you, and all of the people reading the posts. We don't want someone to get hurt, or to refuse a useful medical treatment and drink magic water instead. We care about people, and the truth of the claims that you are making. That's all. No hard feelings. I promise.

So YOUR negative experience with something makes your right about all alternative ideas? You and others keep shooting down anecdotal evidence but yet your anecdotal evidence rules and gives you the right to be pompous, demeaning, derailing, obnoxious? YOUR anecdotal evidence gives you the right to determine everyone else that doesn't think the way you do is wrong?

I'm wrong about TONS of things. And, if I offended you, then I apologize. However, if there's one thing I'm sure about, it's that I don't believe random claims about anything anymore. I don't just agree and swallow the cool-aid. I demand evidence. Not only does evidence provide support for my opinions on matters, but it just might save my life one day.

No one is asking you to blindly swallow the kool aid. BUt you must admit that your behavior and the behavior of many on this thread and other threads is not very admirable. You would never act like this to my face, or would you? YOU don't have to take homeopathic remedies, but guess what . . . MANY people do and have good results with or without your blessing. What gives you the right to trash it on a public forum so that anyone walking through sees how you treat someone with a differing opinion and becomes afraid to speak up themselves. ANd I'm not just talking about homeopathy. You and others on here have NO IDEA the kinds of results that my clients have experienced during energy healing sessions with me. Why mock me and my work? No one is saying you have to believe it or use it. I never even brought it up . . . it's just on my profile!!!! Can you see how ugly some of you have become, and in such a cowardly way, on a forum not face to face! It really shows where you're at. You may want to take a look at yourselves and see if your behavior matches who you want to be.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Question: if homepathy is so great, then why do we need drugs? Homeopathy is WAY cheaper than medical visits (I believe) so why would ANYONE want to pay more than they have to? Please enlighten me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That's what I'm wondering.
    Could it be possible that homeopathy didn't work and drugs did for those suffering from maladies?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • NaBroski
    Options
    Still avoiding.
  • judydelo1
    Options
    Well I'll leave the debating to others, think I'll just suggest a healthy substitute that satisfied my soft-drink cravings.
    Dump fresh watermelon,,ice cubes, agave nectar(for added sweetness) lemon juice and mint into a blender,mix....result one hell of a yummy and satisfying drink. Add extra water if you want it less thick as its like a slushie or slurpie. Very filling as well.

I'll have to try this when we have fresh watermelons and mint in the garden!!
  • ryry_
    Options
    I would say the persistent ones have likely been mislead for a long time over various falsehoods and they are passionate about preventing others from following in their footsteps.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I have drank diet soda for 27 years because I am diabetic and it has never made me fat or get cancer. Come on people chill and have a beer!
  • smittieaj
    Options
    For those saying homeopathy is just a placebo effect . . . tell it to these mice. Next you'll be telling me that mice as susceptible to the placebo effect also.

You seem tenacious. Why don't you crack open a book about skepticism, and have an informative evening?

I don't have to be skeptical about homeopathy when I've seen it work over and over first hand.

When you read about skepticism, you'll learn about how this is anecdotal evidence, and is unreliable for numerous reasons. Seriously, what harm could learning a new subject do to you?

Again, I don't have to be skeptical about that study because I've seen homeopathy work countless times first hand. If you did you'd know what I mean. Would you be skeptical about the effectiveness of antibiotics if you didn't like the way a study was conducted?

I guess you haven't experienced first hand positive effects from them over and over to know first hand the results so you have to rely on a study to tell you what's up.

People could tell me about their first hand experience with voodoo, the holy spirit, bloody mary, demons, or bigfoot.... should I believe them?

I don't doubt that you, and your beliefs are sincere. I understand that you are not a fool. I only reject the notion of forming opinions based on tales of others experiences. Pick up that book that was recommended earlier in the thread. I think that you'll find that we have more in common than you know.

And although I wouldn't expect you to formulate opinions solely based on other's experiences, I would hope that you would factor that in. That's why you and others on here are so infuriating at times. You dismiss everything unless it's mainstream, even if people have real experiences to share. YOu never say, "hey, that's cool and interesting!" WOw! Hummm! You just mock and say everything is bull crap and ask for studies and then any study produced is never good enough. The only reason I've been sticking with these threads once I get involved in one is because I don't like the idea of the loudest mouths shooting other ideas down so that only the big mouth get's his opinions heard. It's like you believe you're right and no other ideas are allowed to be discussed in a meaningful, civil manner. Because guess what, maybe you don't have all the answers and you're keeping valuable information from reaching someone by mocking, throwing in cats or whatever just to confuse the matter at hand. And is that right? I don't think so.

All great ideas have to face armies of people trying to disprove them. The armies have been created by bad ideas that have hurt people. I am one of those people. I used to believe in lots of silly things. These days, I'm more careful. In the end, all of us mean people on the forums are just looking out for you, and all of the people reading the posts. We don't want someone to get hurt, or to refuse a useful medical treatment and drink magic water instead. We care about people, and the truth of the claims that you are making. That's all. No hard feelings. I promise.

I'm wrong about TONS of things. And, if I offended you, then I apologize. However, if there's one thing I'm sure about, it's that I don't believe random claims about anything anymore. I don't just agree and swallow the cool-aid. I demand evidence. Not only does evidence provide support for my opinions on matters, but it just might save my life one day.

No one is asking you to blindly swallow the kool aid. BUt you must admit that your behavior and the behavior of many on this thread and other threads is not very admirable. You would never act like this to my face, or would you? YOU don't have to take homeopathic remedies, but guess what . . . MANY people do and have good results with or without your blessing. What gives you the right to trash it on a public forum so that anyone walking through sees how you treat someone with a differing opinion and becomes afraid to speak up themselves. ANd I'm not just talking about homeopathy. You and others on here have NO IDEA the kinds of results that my clients have experienced during energy healing sessions with me. Why mock me and my work? No one is saying you have to believe it or use it. I never even brought it up . . . it's just on my profile!!!! Can you see how ugly some of you have become, and in such a cowardly way, on a forum not face to face! It really shows where you're at. You may want to take a look at yourselves and see if your behavior matches who you want to be.

Have you considered the possibility that I'm just not a 'nice' person? Perhaps I just troll the internet all day and break peoples hearts for fun. You know, I just love to be mean and argue. Perhaps tomorrow, I'll argue FOR energy healing and stuff, because that's just how mean I am....

Ok, does that sound ridiculous to you too?

Truly, people like me are just looking out for the well being of others who could be injured when a little critical thinking could have helped them avoid a mishap.

I swear, we are actually some of the nicest, honest, and gentle people that you'll meet....EXCEPT, when we hear people making claims without evidence. When that happens... LOOKOUT!
  • judydelo1
    Options
    I would say the persistent ones have likely been mislead for a long time over various falsehoods and they are passionate about preventing others from following in their footsteps.

Really? YOu believe that? YOu believe that the persistent ones have all somehow been harmed by alternative ideas?

What I think is the persistent ones are cowardly bullies with closed minds and a righteous attitude.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Please let the answer be Shrodinger's cat... Please let the answer be Shrodinger's cat... (fingers crossed and giggling to myself)

I'm going to guess.....down quarks. No, no, wait...up quarks.

Oh shiz, this is what the Higgs Boson does, isn't it? It flavors diet pop.
  • judydelo1
    Options

Have you considered the possibility that I'm just not a 'nice' person? Perhaps I just troll the internet all day and break peoples hearts for fun. You know, I just love to be mean and argue. Perhaps tomorrow, I'll argue FOR energy healing and stuff, because that's just how mean I am....

Ok, does that sound ridiculous to you too?

Truly, people like me are just looking out for the well being of others who could be injured when a little critical thinking could have helped them avoid a mishap.

I swear, we are actually some of the nicest, honest, and gentle people that you'll meet....EXCEPT, when we hear people making claims without evidence. When that happens... LOOKOUT!

Don't you see you could simply and politely and professionally and in a friendly manner respond by stating your opinion and leave it at that? I think now you're just trying to justify bad behavior.
  • judydelo1
    Options

Really? YOu believe that? YOu believe that the persistent ones have all somehow been harmed by alternative ideas?

What I think is the persistent ones are cowardly bullies with closed minds and a righteous attitude.

OH and I should add . . . and with a pack dog mentality. The cat's don't fool me.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

I'm going to guess.....down quarks. No, no, wait...up quarks.

Oh shiz, this is what the Higgs Boson does, isn't it? It flavors diet pop.

No, no, you've got it all wrong. It only adds that magical fizz on your tongue. It doesn't flavor it. Please, particle physics? Come on...
  • NaBroski
    Options
    Still waiting for the quantum mechanical explanation for homeopathy.
  • ryry_
    Options

I honestly do. The same people arguing I've seen in countless other threads helping people. They don't get paid to do it. They just enjoy it (probably the arguing too :) ). People get fired up when they see the this will kill you thread or the insulin makes you fat thread, etc.

I am "on their side" so to speak as I grew up myself believing many things I now know to not be accurate, but I believed them at the time due to misinformation and my own personal confirmation bias.

I just like to work on my witty retorts and puns.