Is diet pop REALLY that bad fro you????

Options

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I would say the persistent ones have likely been mislead for a long time over various falsehoods and they are passionate about preventing others from following in their footsteps.

Really? YOu believe that? YOu believe that the persistent ones have all somehow been harmed by alternative ideas?

What I think is the persistent ones are cowardly bullies with closed minds and a righteous attitude.

I honestly do. The same people arguing I've seen in countless other threads helping people. They don't get paid to do it. They just enjoy it (probably the arguing too :) ). People get fired up when they see the this will kill you thread or the insulin makes you fat thread, etc.

I am "on their side" so to speak as I grew up myself believing many things I now know to not be accurate, but I believed them at the time due to misinformation and my own personal confirmation bias.

I just like to work on my witty retorts and puns.

I suggest working on your manners on a public forum, and work on your tolerance of differing opinions instead of your retorts and puns. You can state your side and allow others to state their opinion without becoming hostile, insulting and obnoxious. And so in the past you believed one way and now you believe another way . . . good for you. Well I've had some of my beliefs since I was 21, which was 35 years ago. Why does your path trump mine? I'm not an idiot and feel I deserve much more respect than I've been shown.

1. I don't consider retorts and puns hostile, insulting and obnoxious. It was not my intention to offend you. So I will apologize for that.

2. I will say the reason most are not leaving it at that is if we take the aspartame subject as an example. THe people who will not let it die firmly believe that people are taking their BELIEF that aspartame is bad based on many assumptions and representing it to people looking for answers as FACT!

I will bet you if there was a forum post that said "I drank diet coke but I didn't feel good when I drank it. I stopped drinking it and I'm feeling much better now. " People would not say anything. Somebody observed from there personal experience that they felt better doing something.

But the "diet coke is toxic and is harmful to you and you should not drink it" is going to get this reaction as people genuinely believe this to be misrepresenting information to seekers of information based on their personal belief about something without a solid basis in facts. It is not a live and let live situation as third parties are involved.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Please let the answer be Shrodinger's cat... Please let the answer be Shrodinger's cat... (fingers crossed and giggling to myself)

I'm going to guess.....down quarks. No, no, wait...up quarks.

Oh shiz, this is what the Higgs Boson does, isn't it? It flavors diet pop.

No, no, you've got it all wrong. It only adds that magical fizz on your tongue. It doesn't flavor it. Please, particle physics? Come on...

unless it is a strange quark then all bets are off

But what if it's strange quarks and strange antiquarks? Then the strangeness can be quantified... Of course, then bets can again be taken.

wouldn't they just meet and annihilate? And I don't think bets can be taken unless someone is there to observe the bet being taken

See, that is what the bets are for. Mutual annihilation or scatter? I'm going with 50 on scatter. We will meet at the LHC to test this. Bets must be in before we meet.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    I suggest working on your manners on a public forum, and work on your tolerance of differing opinions instead of your retorts and puns. You can state your side and allow others to state their opinion without becoming hostile, insulting and obnoxious. And so in the past you believed one way and now you believe another way . . . good for you. Well I've had some of my beliefs since I was 21, which was 35 years ago. Why does your path trump mine? I'm not an idiot and feel I deserve much more respect than I've been shown.

Personally, I give more respect to the open-minded for considering new ideas and changing their minds over the course of their lifetimes.

Even more than that, I respect those who are diligent in their studies, rigorous in their experimentation, and can back up their opinions with verifiable evidence.

Read that previously mentioned book, and you'll have all of our respect. I'm sure.

I don't have to read a particular book to earn your respect. I am a human being that is treating you fairly and that should be enough. You haven't treated me fairly, and I'm respecting you still.

What has he done that's unfair? Asked you to substantiate your claims?
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Please let the answer be Shrodinger's cat... Please let the answer be Shrodinger's cat... (fingers crossed and giggling to myself)

No, no, you've got it all wrong. It only adds that magical fizz on your tongue. It doesn't flavor it. Please, particle physics? Come on...

But what if it's strange quarks and strange antiquarks? Then the strangeness can be quantified... Of course, then bets can again be taken.

wouldn't they just meet and annihilate? And I don't think bets can be taken unless someone is there to observe the bet being taken

See, that is what the bets are for. Mutual annihilation or scatter? I'm going with 50 on scatter. We will meet at the LHC to test this. Bets must be in before we meet.

Been awhile since I have been to CERN, meet you there
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Try Pepsi Next. It has 60 percent LESS sugar then regular Pepsi AND it has no artificial sweeteners! Best of both worlds. I drink a couple a month when I am really craving sweet stuff.

I really don't trust artificial sweeteners. My Grandma used to drink iced tea with Splenda in it through a straw. She drank a couple cups a day. a cancer formed on the roof of her mouth and her Doctor said it was probably from the artificial sweetener hitting that spot when she sucked it through a straw. (The cancer was right where the point of contact would be.) Of course he had no proof, it was just his best guess as to why it happened.

BUT I say people have been eating sugar for thousands of years...why change that now for an unnatural chemical?? Id rather deal with the calories :-)

This is incorrect, per their website, the US Pepsi Next is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, AND sucralose. In my opinion, a chemical ****storm, if you will. The Australian version is sweetened with stevia and has no artificial sweeteners, BUT only has "30% less sugar."
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I would say the persistent ones have likely been mislead for a long time over various falsehoods and they are passionate about preventing others from following in their footsteps.

Really? YOu believe that? YOu believe that the persistent ones have all somehow been harmed by alternative ideas?

What I think is the persistent ones are cowardly bullies with closed minds and a righteous attitude.

I honestly do. The same people arguing I've seen in countless other threads helping people. They don't get paid to do it. They just enjoy it (probably the arguing too :) ). People get fired up when they see the this will kill you thread or the insulin makes you fat thread, etc.

I am "on their side" so to speak as I grew up myself believing many things I now know to not be accurate, but I believed them at the time due to misinformation and my own personal confirmation bias.

I just like to work on my witty retorts and puns.

1. I don't consider retorts and puns hostile, insulting and obnoxious. It was not my intention to offend you. So I will apologize for that.

2. I will say the reason most are not leaving it at that is if we take the aspartame subject as an example. THe people who will not let it die firmly believe that people are taking their BELIEF that aspartame is bad based on many assumptions and representing it to people looking for answers as FACT!

I will bet you if there was a forum post that said "I drank diet coke but I didn't feel good when I drank it. I stopped drinking it and I'm feeling much better now. " People would not say anything. Somebody observed from there personal experience that they felt better doing something.

But the "diet coke is toxic and is harmful to you and you should not drink it" is going to get this reaction as people genuinely believe this to be misrepresenting information to seekers of information based on their personal belief about something without a solid basis in facts. It is not a live and let live situation as third parties are involved.

I accept your apology and I hold no grudges. BUt I do suggest you read back through this thread, even just the more recent pages and you'll see that there is a great deal of mocking going on. You may think it's funny because you're on the other side . . . but I assure you it isn't admirable behavior. It's school yard bullying forum style.

This forum is named "Is diet pop Really that bad for you???? People should be able to state their belief without harassment. If you want to point out that you disagree and why great. If you want to say that you feel your belief is based on fact and that you believe other's opinions are not based on fact. Cool. But harassment? COme on. To take over a thread in the manner you and others do is really a sign you need to learn manners. You're behavior actually makes you look bad. THe mocking has got to stop. THe I'm GOd attitudes really needs to stop. You probably would have a great conversation with me in person, it shouldn't be a degrading one simply because we're online. I'm okay with you having a different opinion. I'm sure most people posting differing opinions are fine with you having a different opinion. WHy does your opinion trump everyone else's?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the salt levels in diet soda? Just because you get told it wont hurt you... does not mean that it's only the 'fake sugar' that will. Diet soda has more salt in it than regular soda.

Just sayin.
  • CristinaL1983
    Options
    If these articles I found by googling quantum physics and energy healing represent your views on this topic, I can assure you that the idea is based in a serious lack of understanding of quantum physics and, more importantly, what it means.

http://www.quantumsourcehealing.com/quantum-physics-energy-healing.html
    http://www.energyhealing-quantumhealing.com/Basics-of-Quantum-Physics.html
    http://healing.about.com/od/energyhealing/a/energy_spsmith.htm
  • smittieaj
    smittieaj Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This forum is named "Is diet pop Really that bad for you???? People should be able to state their belief without harassment. If you want to point out that you disagree and why great. If you want to say that you feel your belief is based on fact and that you believe other's opinions are not based on fact. Cool. But harassment? COme on. To take over a thread in the manner you and others do is really a sign you need to learn manners. You're behavior actually makes you look bad. THe mocking has got to stop. THe I'm GOd attitudes really needs to stop. You probably would have a great conversation with me in person, it shouldn't be a degrading one simply because we're online. I'm okay with you having a different opinion. I'm sure most people posting differing opinions are fine with you having a different opinion. WHy does your opinion trump everyone else's?

Ok, so let's clear up the concept of fact vs. opinion. Here are some examples.
    Fact: Scientists have not found conclusive evidence supporting the hypothesis that aspartame is harmful to humans.
    Opinion: "THe I'm GOd attitudes really needs to stop."

And for the record, none of us has the attitude that we are actually a fictional character described in ancient myths. THAT would be crazy!
  • CristinaL1983
    Options

Haven't been yet. We could take this bet to the next level and if we say they scatter, we could have an over/under on the time from scatter to annihilation...
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the salt levels in diet soda? Just because you get told it wont hurt you... does not mean that it's only the 'fake sugar' that will. Diet soda has more salt in it than regular soda.

Just sayin.

Last I checked Diet coke had less sodium than regular coke.
  • Today414
    Today414 Posts: 118
    Options
    Totally did not even read this thread... Just had to observe that it's been on the "top" list or whatever... ALL FREAKIN DAY
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to drink it unless you are addicted to it. It's just a bunch of substances your body doesn't need and are most likely harmful.

There is no reason to eat or drink a lot of things that we do other than the enjoyment we get from it.

And those are the foods that should removed first. There are many foods that can be enjoyed and have many nutrients. I enjoy toasted wasabi seaweed, nuts and seeds, raw cacao, and a lot of other things now instead of candy and banana smoothies instead of pop. It's the psychological attachment that needs to go.
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I can't drink them often. I don't eat sweets and when I drink diet soda, it makes me crave sweets like no one's business. The cravings are far worse if I drink the diet soda (or eat anything sweet) in the morning or early afternoon because I have the rest of the day to want sugar. If I want a diet drink at dinner I am more apt to do so because I do better. By the time i realize I am craving more sweets it is time to go to bed.

I used to eat one of those little dove chocolate squares a day and can't do it anymore for the same reason.

Jenna have you tried Green & Black's organic 70% (or 80%) dark chocolate? I have three of the 70% little squares without setting me off. Three squares is 60 calories. It isn't very sweet but helps with the chocolate urge. The Dove chocolate does contain some unnatural ingredients and maybe between that and the sugar it sets you off. Worth a try.

My favorite candy bar ever! I can get one and make it last 1-2 weeks, I just love those and just a little bit satisfies me perfectly
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Fact: Scientists have not found conclusive evidence supporting the hypothesis that aspartame is harmful to humans.

And for the record, none of us has the attitude that we are actually a fictional character described in ancient myths. THAT would be crazy!

So great! State on a forum like this that you believe that there are no conclusive studies. Great. Other people DON'T CARE if there are no conclusive studies. SOme people like to err on the side of caution and feel if some studies have shown that they might, possibly be a problem with it, they don't think it's worth the risk. That's their choice! Some people feel they have been harmed by the stuff, or know people that believe in their heart and soul that they or a loved one experienced negative effects and it is their right thing to share that experience. Everyone knows it's THEIR experience. BUt they should be able to share it without mocking. How dare you police the telling of other's experiences or the telling of our "take on the whole aspartame thing" or any other subject.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Haven't been yet. We could take this bet to the next level and if we say they scatter, we could have an over/under on the time from scatter to annihilation...

I'm in. I've always wanted to see ALICE in person.

Oh, and If your child says "2+4 = 11", you don't congratulate them on having an opinion and give them a star, you show them their error.

So if you come in here claiming that quantum freakin' mechanics proves the validity of holistic medicine, you better have some sort of justification. I couldn't possibly care what you eat, drink, or medicate yourself with, but if you bring that non-science garbage around, someone is going to call you on it.

but to make amends, here ya' go
    cat-fat-dancing-cat-gif.gif
  • CristinaL1983
    Options

I will add that most of what you perceive as animosity is probably due to the persistence of questions because some of us are interested in the basis for your opinion. It's difficult to state that your opinion is not based in fact if we cannot check it out. You know what they say about assuming things.

Also, I think you may overestimate the social generosity of some people (most specifically myself). I think that people deserve a level of respect because we are all just people but I don't think silly ideas merit any semblance of respect. I had a very similar discussion with a recent boss about artificial sweeteners (she insisted that artificial sweeteners are the "holocaust of our generation"), bottom line is that I no longer work for her. I lose respect for people's intellect when they insist that ideas with no factual basis are truth and simply can't see any reason to spend my time with those people. In real life, we wouldn't even have a conversation, much less a very nice conversation.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

We will have to disagree. Harassment and bullying. Didn't see it. Snarkiness and sarcastic comments mixed in with several requests to verify claims. Yes. We're on page nineteen of the thread, which is an identical topic that was on here yesterday. And I would like to believe that yes if I heard someone in my gym telling somebody trying to get in shape that diet coke is toxic and dangerous to him or her that I would challenge the claim. And I'm pretty certain that after the equivalent of 19 pages of conversation I would be in full sarcasm mode.

And what you said is my point exactly. Someone came looking for information. They got a belief about information that someone believes isn't true, so they tried to refute it. That's not bullying. If a person has a genuine belief that you are misinforming someone (intentional or unintentional) and does nothing is pretty selfish

But this is my last post. Until tommorows diet soda post I suppose as work is still coming in the morning. Goodnight all.
  • smittieaj
    smittieaj Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm turning in for the night too. Goodnight, everyone!
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options

I will add that most of what you perceive as animosity is probably due to the persistence of questions because some of us are interested in the basis for your opinion. It's difficult to state that your opinion is not based in fact if we cannot check it out. You know what they say about assuming things.

Also, I think you may overestimate the social generosity of some people (most specifically myself). I think that people deserve a level of respect because we are all just people but I don't think silly ideas merit any semblance of respect. I had a very similar discussion with a recent boss about artificial sweeteners (she insisted that artificial sweeteners are the "holocaust of our generation"), bottom line is that I no longer work for her. I lose respect for people's intellect when they insist that ideas with no factual basis are truth and simply can't see any reason to spend my time with those people. In real life, we wouldn't even have a conversation, much less a very nice conversation.

This exactly.

The following is an illustration of the damage that can be done by silly ideas:

Baby suffered from severe eczema Parents wouldn't get medical help - Crown Baby died from infections

IN the last months of her life, baby Gloria Thomas suffered such terrible eczema her skin would weep and peel, sticking to her clothing when she was changed.

Despite her bleeding, crying and malnutrition, her mother and homeopath father failed to get conventional medical help before she died a painful death, a Sydney jury has been told.

Thomas Sam, 42, and his IT professional wife, Manju Sam, 36, have pleaded not guilty to their nine-month-old daughter's manslaughter by gross criminal negligence in Sydney in May 2002.

In the Crown's opening address to the New South Wales Supreme Court jury, Mark Tedeschi QC said Gloria's parents failed to get her proper medical attention in the last five months of her life.

He said Thomas Sam's sister had pleaded with her brother on a number of occasions to get Gloria some conventional medicine.

"He responded by saying: 'I am not able to do that,'" Mr Tedeschi said.

"Instead, Thomas Sam and Manju Sam gave to Gloria various types of homeopathic drops."

He said Gloria spent much of the final months "crying, irritable, scratching".

"The only thing that gave her solace was to suck on her mother's breast."

Born in July 2001, Gloria thrived until November when a nurse noticed her eczema and told the mother to see a skin specialist.

Instead of doing this, Mr Tedeschi said the mother took her to a GP who was extremely concerned at the eczema, saying it was the most severe case he had ever seen.

Although the GP wrote a referral letter to a specialist, the parents never saw him.

Mr Tedeschi said Gloria's skin would break when her clothing and nappy were changed and she became thinner and weaker, which allowed infections to enter her body.

The eczema and infections placed "an enormous toll on her body" which meant all the nutrition she took in was spent on fighting this off, instead of being used to grow.

At four months, she weighed 6.5kg but at nine months she was down to 5.3kg and died of septicemia.

Mr Tedeschi said the parents were married in India.

The father was educated in homeopathy in India and in Australia undertook a masters degree in health administration, while his wife had a science degree and a postgraduate diplomat in computers.

"They both come from very supportive, giving families," he said.

Thomas Sam worked as a homeopath in Sydney and taught the subject at a Sydney college.

Mr Tedeschi will continue his opening address tomorrow, at the trial before Justice Peter Johnson.

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/babys-eczema-death-was-parents-fault/story-e6frfkvr-1225708504277